The lazy man's home made aftershave splash

Hos

I have made a few aftershave splashes for myself so far. I started doing when I had difficulty finding an aftershave to match my MDC Rose. Add to that difficulty of getting aftershaves shipped to Australia!

@MadFlava81 suggested I share the recipe, so here it is:

There are just three ingredients:
1. Denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) which you can buy from Bunnings and many supermarkets. I would've preferred pure Ethanol but it looks like it is almost impossible to get for the average consumer.

2. Thayers Witch Hazel; I like the Thayers formulation as it is quite soothing. I suspect at least some of the soothing effect comes from the high glycerin content.

3. Essential or fragrance oil.

I put a few drop of the oil in the alcohol, then add the Witch Hazel. How much oil you put in really depends on how strong you want the scent to be. I'll start with lower concentration and test on skin to make sure there's no irritation. Some essential oil can irritate (eg Eucalyptus). I prefer low alcohol aftershaves so for me it's about 25 to 30% Alcohol. For my lemon aftershave I bought the essential oil from the local spotlight store. It's really a mix of different oils but lemon is the dominant scent: https://www.spotlightstores.com/hom...covery-essential-oil-blend/BP80548122-natural

I have made a few aftershave splashes for myself so far. I started doing when I had difficulty finding an aftershave to match my MDC Rose. Add to that difficulty of getting aftershaves shipped to Australia!

@MadFlava81 suggested I share the recipe, so here it is:

There are just three ingredients:
1. Denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) which you can buy from Bunnings and many supermarkets. I would've preferred pure Ethanol but it looks like it is almost impossible to get for the average consumer.

2. Thayers Witch Hazel; I like the Thayers formulation as it is quite soothing. I suspect at least some of the soothing effect comes from the high glycerin content.

3. Essential or fragrance oil.

I put a few drop of the oil in the alcohol, then add the Witch Hazel. How much oil you put in really depends on how strong you want the scent to be. I'll start with lower concentration and test on skin to make sure there's no irritation. Some essential oil can irritate (eg Eucalyptus). I prefer low alcohol aftershaves so for me it's about 25 to 30% Alcohol. For my lemon aftershave I bought the essential oil from the local spotlight store. It's really a mix of different oils but lemon is the dominant scent: https://www.spotlightstores.com/hom...covery-essential-oil-blend/BP80548122-natural

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. I just noticed Beard and Blade increased the price of Noble Otter Orbit aftershave to $50! With prices like that I can’t justify buying artisan aftershaves anymore. The scent is short lived anyway.

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. I just noticed Beard and Blade increased the price of Noble Otter Orbit aftershave to $50! With prices like that I can’t justify buying artisan aftershaves anymore. The scent is short lived anyway.

Yah, it'd be better to put the funds towards actual EDP/EDT.

Even a triple the price, it only take 2-3 squirts of an EDT to get a full days worth of scent.