TEMPERD STEEL

tathra11

Here's an early 1800's razor I restored a while ago. The tang is stamped 'TEMPERD STEEL' but the makers name above this is long worn away. The blade was in good nick for it's age, some stains, deep pitting and rust. Really hefty for it's size. Before any resto work I put the razor to the 1k Chosera only to find an evil warping and a heel that wouldn't hone :mad:. Reprofiling the heel helped here but honing was still tricky. Did a lengthy wet n dry sanding progression, buffing compounds and polishing. Finished off with a satin look. Front scale had a long split running through wedge pin hole. Pinned and glued together. Scales buffed up nicely. A bit of work in this razor but it is a wonderfull soft shaver.

Very nice indeed. I presume you couldn't save the floret washers? The bullseye washers look cool though. There are many who prefer to leave signs of wear and tear as wabi-sabi - and I entirely see their point - but it's also really gratifying to see a restoration leaving the razor pretty much in the same condition as it would have left the maker's workshop. Well done. (y)

That is a fabulous job. Care to give me some insight on how you dealt with that cracked scale? I have a mighty W&B that I have to restore and I keep postponing it because it has the same exact problem, in the same place.

I love, love, LOVE the satin finish, bravo!

That is a fabulous job. Care to give me some insight on how you dealt with that cracked scale? I have a mighty W&B that I have to restore and I keep postponing it because it has the same exact problem, in the same place.

I love, love, LOVE the satin finish, bravo!

Will look for pics of pinning together a cracked/split scale no worries

Mick.

Sensational stuff!

For any guys interested, here is an in progress pic (of the inside) of a horn scale being pinned and glued to fix some bad splits/cracks. This pic is not my actual job, but shows the same technique. Some guys don't bother with the pins and have no problems with glue only. But I like pinning the large cracks, especially around pin holes coz we'll be peening at that spot later.

First, I put CA down into the crack then clamp together to close up crack. Once set, form some small trenches across the crack to accept the pin. A small Dremel cutting wheel can be used, (but caution) it's easy to cut too deep. I use a drill press with the depth set so I don't drill right through. Put a little CA into the trench then put pin in and cover with more CA. Don't worry if pin sits proud of scale, file/sand it back later.

For any guys interested, here is an in progress pic (of the inside) of a horn scale being pinned and glued to fix some bad splits/cracks. This pic is not my actual job, but shows the same technique. Some guys don't bother with the pins and have no problems with glue only. But I like pinning the large cracks, especially around pin holes coz we'll be peening at that spot later.

First, I put CA down into the crack then clamp together to close up crack. Once set, form some small trenches across the crack to accept the pin. A small Dremel cutting wheel can be used, (but caution) it's easy to cut too deep. I use a drill press with the depth set so I don't drill right through. Put a little CA into the trench then put pin in and cover with more CA. Don't worry if pin sits proud of scale, file/sand it back later.

This is brilliant mate, thank you so much, I hadn't thought of this.

Using a black 0.5mm G10 liner can work well with this sort of repair also,
great save all round mate.