So we've heard or Monsta's blade count, what's your razor count?

pablo_h

So we've heard of Monsta's blade count, what's your razor count?

I have a few, how many do other's have?
To me the razor is more important than the blade, so I bought a lot of razors and only a few blades :D
On my shelf, yes I installed a shelf in the bathroom just for this ;) , there's a NEW Improved, a NEW, a fat handled tech, a ball end tech, a USA 1940s aristocrat, a HD rocket, a red tip SS, a slim adjustable, a 1901 GEM, 1912, and micromatic clog pruf with some brushes ( semogue SOC and 1305, and EJ BBB medium)

For me israeli's (crystal, super plats) only work in open comb vintage gillettes for me, preferably the NEW, I can't use them in anything else.
Feathers come on song with a ball end tech. A red tip SS or slim adjustable can use almost anything, preferably an astra or red pack though.

Pics would be good if anyones got them.
I'll see if there's some pretty ones here after I get my camera working.
Most of mine are un-noteworthy shaver grade ones though. Never did buy any expensive razors, so the best lookers I have are SE as they were cheap.
So what do you have in number, what are your favourites that you actually use in rotation, (edit: and how many razors are in use), what blades do you prefer with each, how many just sit on a shelf/in a cupboard?

Mark1966, here's a thread for you :amazed:

Edit2: what do you have but don't really want to use for various reasons and why?

Last edited:
Allright here we go:

SEs:
Feather Weight
GEM Junior Baton
GEM 1912 Compact
Clog Pruf Micromatic
Open Comb Micromatic
Ever Ready Streamline

DEs:
Ball end Tech
Long Handled Super Adjustable
Souplex Open Comb

I use all the SEs except the Open Comb and none of the DEs aside from the Open Comb for touching up around the mo. I'll get some pictures when I can get hold of a decent camera. Nothing too flashy, pretty much good condition user grade aside from the Streamline which is a bit of a pisser. The Ball end Tech's nice too.

Like you if I only had a couple of razors though, the MM CP would be a definite.
The gillette NEW open comb would be a shoe in as well. The 1930s were the best time!

Even the ball end tech from the 40s I run hot and cold on is definitely a keeper, had 4 shaves with a feather blade in it recently.
Only newish razor I would have to keep is the slim adjustable.

Is your GEM 1912 compact one of those low profile heads stored in the small square metal case (unscrew the head from the handle to fit?)?

edit: have have uploaded photos before, probably in 2009, on ocau and B&B (same user name)

Last edited:
Yep it sure is. It's a very nice little razor. Actually one of the few I got off e-bay here in Australia.

4. Merkur HD, Futur, Progress, Gillette slim 1965.

Tried and Sold:
Slant, Merkur open comb, Muhle open comb. Should have kept the slant, I reckon the smoother Red IPs would have gone well in it. I used sharp blades when I had it, and that wasn't ideal for me.

Only use the first two and the HD, gets the most workload, and was my first razor, so I lucked out first time. I'm so comfortable with this razor I can get the best shaves of my life with 2 passes and a touch up.

The Futur is really nice to use, but more of a smooth shaver than really close for me. I like it as it takes the edge off any blades that can be a bit sharp and aggressive. Odd, given the heft of the thing.

Never got on with the Slim, but will save it to pass on to one of my boys, which they will probably refuse as being grandpa stuff, in favour of a razor that orders pizza for you.

Never got on with the Progress either, I find it very aggressive. Would look to let this go when sale forums are up.

I feel no need to try other razors, and I get my variety from soaps and brushes. Nothing will trump the HD for me, and having tried mild and aggressive razors in vintage and modern, I doubt there's anything out there that's different to what I've tried.

Except perhaps SE.

I only have two.

Edwin Jagger DE86 - recommended by Monsta and it truly is my first love.

Replica Feather Wing crap thing... I have used it once and it is so light it has no feeling or feedback so I might as well use a cart.

It's worth a try.

Yeah well, I need to make a trip to the green letterbox...

I love the look of the Jaggers and Muhles, and they are probably finished better than Merkurs, not that I've ever had a bad one. But the Muhle was way light, hollow handled, and not grippy at all even with a swirly handle, so I know I won't get on with the glossy ones.

Great to get a keeper first up though.

Last edited:
I forgot the razor in my avatar. Rolls wedge SE razor. I bought 4 of them, 2 to try and use, 2 for spares that had something wrong with them, (ie broken honing stone, broken spring etc). When all the DE blades in the world have been bought by someone, and all the SE blades are just paint scraper blades, I guess I'll learn to hone and use the rolls. edit: can't get them sharp enough with the hone that comes with them, need some serious work on the edge with something more aggressive to get them sharp enough for shaving.
edit:
Drubbing you should try SE, I've got a few spare. Pretty much the whole reason why I didn't post any photos is because I have so many and it would take so long to take pictures (as I said, I done it before elsewhere).

Pjotr: Don't use the MM OC hey? I think I warned you about them back in Feb and said not to bother with them :)

Last edited:
..............Pjotr: Don't use the MM OC hey? I think I warned you about them back in Feb and said not to bother with them :)

Well I have this voice in my head all the time also telling me not to try this or buy that. All I can say is that the both of you together just aren't cutting it when it comes to combatting my disorders. The OC is probably the most dissapointing purchase I've made. Can you please re-double your effort and concentrate on soaps. They're getting a bit out of hand at the moment and the voice in my head is not even a whisper.

Last edited:
Well I have this voice in my head all the time also telling me not to try this or buy that. All I can say is that the both of you together just aren't cutting it when it comes to combatting my disorders. The OC is probably the most dissapointing purchase I've made. Can you please re-double your effort and concentrate on soaps. They're getting a bit out of hand at the moment and the voice in my head is not even a whisper.
Can't help you see, I really know nothing about soaps and don't buy much http://www.paste-and-cut.com.au/f45/apr11-member-aquisitions-109/#post958
I have only bought the kent brush and soap due to monsta, and last year bought a couple of semogue brushes due to Drubbing.
So i) I hardly have any experience in soaps, still using ones I bought years ago along with everything else. ii) I'm entirely too suggestible myself sometimes.
Doesn't make sense does it?
But years ago I told myself I won't buy a soap until I'm almost out of one. Still got most of the tabac, eshave, proraso, T&H. Only bought the dodgey brush and kent soap because I was running out of MWF.

Last edited:
GAh, boring here, mainly us SE users talking.
OK, I'm going to clean the soap residue off my favourite SE razors and photo them tomorrow in sunlight.

Veteran, you will see two very different "gem jnrs".

I have a bunch of cased or boxed razors.
A few different types of 1912, british and american.
MM

Nothing newer than MM, In fact I made sure the MM CP I did buy was the oldest by the patent number.

I don't have any wooden handled lather catchers though, just the pat. 1900 GEM junior.

Last edited:
Can`t wait to see the length and breadth of your affliction. I`m hanging off using my Jnr till I have trialled my 1937 Canadian injector with the NOS Schicks I scored. Tough to hold off using the Jnr, the more I look the more differences I see between it and the 1912.

Did you ever check out the-original-safety forums?
Otherwise I think the same people often post on The Shave Den

Forgot the name of 'shave den' temporarily and just googled "shaving forums". Wow. Paste and Cut was 7th in results! Now the admins and mods have to make it stick with content I guess.
Continue your good work, but like when I was starting a business from scratch, the customers can only do so much.
With monsta in the middle of a move, and the trading a no for now, and only a few daily posters...

Last edited:
Well veteran, no decent weather today for photography. But look at this, someone spent $38K on a razor collection sold on ebay.
FANTASTIC BATCH OF SAFETY RAZORS AND OTHER #36 | eBay

My pat 1900 GEM junior is in the style of the first 3 razors in that ebay link, though just a plain box without any extras or stroppers/brushes/soap tubes.
Crappy flash photography here
uvnh7.jpg

edit: I hope you guys do check out the original safety razor forums. http://theoriginalsafety.proboards.com/index.cgi
Those guys are cool and know everything about single edge, most started around the same time as me in 2007/2008, except Dave (d.irving79) who started the forums there, and was the main guru at B&B, but he's MIA, and he started the original safety, so the main page has disappeared as the domain has expired.
But I hope that us guys here interested in SE register there and contribute, and in return any australian poster that finds TOS forums through any other means (B&B, TSD, SMF, WP etc), gets told by those guys to come have a look here at P&C for any local suppliers.

Last edited: