Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, slower

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I just want milk that tastes like real milk

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
As per the recent outage notice, I have needed to migrate our hosting to another provider to try and get a more reliable forum. I believed I had another few weeks to get this planned and executed. Imagine my surprise when I got a renewal notice on Monday saying it was renewing in a week's time and I needed to cancel before the 18th to not be charged for a further year. Luckily I had done the research where I was going to move to.

I am happy to say that this migration is now complete after a few issues including DNS deciding to not play ball during the account transfer. We are still hosted from Sydney, however we are now being looked after by BinaryLane who actually was able to make it slightly cheaper overall for us with a very slight drop in storage space. They are also now looking after our cPanel license which we are now paying less for in AUD than we were paying in USD.

There are some additional changes that need to be made but these are very administrative and will not make much further difference. Just some extra reliability around DNS and some additional firewalling to take the load off the server. You will not see any outages with me doing that.

I have also updated the forum software which was quite out of date and honestly a little broken. The upgrade died in the middle of the process but some useful support pages was able to point me in the right direction and fix the database table which was missing. You will notice some upgrades to the text editor and a few other functions on the site. The theme will also be broken for a while until I grab the updates for the new forum version. It's just the footer of the site which looks a bit broken, but everything should function. We may even move to a whole new theme soon instead.

Your support and use of the site means the world to me, and I am just happy to know you all get something out of it.

-Monsta

I'd say no, seeing as we went to a new host with less storage space. If they allowed direct image uploads the cost of running the forum would jump
Yes, pretty much. And it means backups are larger and migrations also larger and slower.

One day I may put it out to a CDN and let that handle it, but it would increase cost. It's simply a hobby for me and provides me with a small amount of personal webspace.

Yes, pretty much. And it means backups are larger and migrations also larger and slower.

One day I may put it out to a CDN and let that handle it, but it would increase cost. It's simply a hobby for me and provides me with a small amount of personal webspace.
Keeping it simple works for me. More robust that way. (y)

It might feel faster if there was a dark mode.

Just an old joke with Mitsi
yWwWrMH.gif