Simpson M6 TSN Limited Edition Manchurian Badger - A Review

Had never heard of it used in the context of numbers 3 & 5.

Yeah I've always used the word in the UK context - "the party was a pisser" - or used in a shaving context, and as @gthomas04 points out, a brush contaminated with arko.
I've learned something today….like the day that I learned "sad" as good, "sick" was great, and "fully sick" was even better.

I might have a tendency to mumble mate, but you'll need to meet me half way and turn your aids up mate. Not worry, I can be patient. I said " ", yes saying that slower so you can make it out, that was " ". You know spelt " ", " ", " ", and " ". Sush a short word, maybe it'd be easier if I said it in Turkish?

I just noticed on FB that there are still a few of these brushes left -about 10 they said. See the link here if you are keen.

I must be such a cheapskate - I could just never justify spending that much money on a brush when an Omega, or a PJ reknot does a perfectly good job for so much less.

I do have one semi-collectors item, but even that is very much user grade.

A "pisser" is a brush the owner intends to sell with "new brush scent"at a later date to an unsuspecting forumite.

A bit over all the LE hype brushes TBH. Over done on the back if the wet shave revival...or I could just be a smidge jealous :)

The whole LE brush thing is just marketing to a niche buyer. Simpson and Semogue have found it's a clever way to sell stuff at prices they wouldn't be able to, outside of the people who view shaving as a hobby.

Simpson M6 TSN Limited Edition Manchurian Badger - A Review

That’s an awfully lengthy title, so for the purposes of this review, I’ll simply refer to this brush as the Simpson M6. This was a Limited Edition reproduction of the discontinued M6 handle for The Shave Nook, intended as a tribute to a community with longstanding support for the Simpson brand. A limited run of 200 brushes was constructed and purchasers were required to be members of TSN to be able to purchase.

imageedit_6_8402525682.jpg

One of the key concepts in the inception of this brush was to provide an opportunity to members of the community to purchase a Manchurian Badger brush at an ‘affordable’ price. Affordable it was not, but I have little doubt that hell will freeze over before Simpson Manchurian hair can be had this cheap again. I hope now that this is the most expensive brush that I ever buy, but I’m glad that I purchased it. I wanted to own something that was (arguably) the most premium product of its type in the world, at the time of purchase. I hope that it will always motivate me to be successful enough that I might be privileged to own other items of equal quality and value. Bit wanky, but there you go.

Simpson3resized.jpg

The brush itself is solid and well balanced in the hand. It has a nice, even distribution of weight and is comfortable in the hand. It’s got enough length to it that getting lather on your fingers isn’t a problem while either face or bowl lathering. From other M6s that I’ve seen, the colouring of the handle has some variation. It ranges from quite a light ‘slate’ kind of colour to quite a deep earthy brown. I quite like the mix of light and dark on mine.

imageedit_3_4552230659.jpg

The knot itself is 22mm with a 48mm loft. This is quite a tall loft for a small and not hugely dense knot, but I believe the expertise of Simpson in understanding the characteristics of the Manchurian hair shows here. Backbone is surprisingly firm, and there’s a good amount of ‘resistance’ from the knot while lathering. The tips are very soft, but the hair itself doesn’t really yield to pressure like the Simpsons Best. It retains a moderate amount of water in the knot, but also much less than the densely packed Duke.

imageedit_9_4499554745.jpg

Over the 5-10 shaves I’ve now had with the M6, it’s bloomed quite nicely and softened up somewhat. A slight prickliness was evident at first arrival, and this has dissipated as the knot has relaxed. Some of the tips look like they’re beginning to hook slightly, so I’ll be interested to see if the fabled ‘cloud-like’ softness develops over time. It’s loaded very easily from the variety of soaps and creams that I’ve subjected it too so far, but a favourite was last night’s shave with Panna Crema. Harder soaps like Tabac or La Toja stick also performed very well.

One final note. There was a slight delay beyond what I expected for the delivery of this brush, and word reached TSN that some of the rod stock had some blemishes and required some additional work. I don't know, but I suspect that my order was among these. The Simpson Aftershave Balm shown above was a gift with this brush, and very much appreciated, particularly if it was a small token of apology for the delay. Then again, maybe Mark is just generous and likes Australians. Either way, it was a nice guesture and I'm grateful to Simmo.

All in all, I'm happy with this purchase. It was pricy, but it will hopefully retain some sentimental value and is a nice (and different) addition to my small stable of brushes. While I can in no way recommend Simpson Manchurian hair as value for money, it's characteristics are certainly remarkably different from most of the more readily available offerings and I'll enjoy having a brush like this in my rotation.
This seems to be the preccursor to the M7 of which I have three. Just couldn't help myself - love the handle shape - fits my hand like a well-worn glove.
Luckily SWMBO doesn't look too closely in my shaving cupboard, and even if she did, can't see the brushes for the soaps and creams.
For the record I have a light tortoise shell super badger M7; from memory it is a George Young???? and was my first M7. Then I secretly got butterscotch
Manchurian badger M7 followed by a faux ivory Manchurian M7. Which is my favourite? All of 'em for different reasons.
With each one Simpsons generously included a tub of shaving cream- all of which are truly super. My M7s will go with me to the void beyond.

This seems to be the preccursor to the M7 of which I have three. Just couldn't help myself - love the handle shape - fits my hand like a well-worn glove.
Luckily SWMBO doesn't look too closely in my shaving cupboard, and even if she did, can't see the brushes for the soaps and creams.
For the record I have a light tortoise shell super badger M7; from memory it is a George Young???? and was my first M7. Then I secretly got butterscotch
Manchurian badger M7 followed by a faux ivory Manchurian M7. Which is my favourite? All of 'em for different reasons.
With each one Simpsons generously included a tub of shaving cream- all of which are truly super. My M7s will go with me to the void beyond.

So which one would you like to trade?

Take SWMBO.
Obviously SWMBO doesn't look closely in the shave cabinet OR your computer.

Take SWMBO.
I believe the good man suggested a trade, not an acquisition.
Repercussions from such an acquisition may be a tad unsavoury.
Mind you, trading may not be the wisest option either ;)

Obviously SWMBO doesn't look closely in the shave cabinet OR your computer.
No to both... thank goodness.

Unless she does and so @Chris R is looking for more room in the cabinet...and hard drive!
Or prolonged meals of hot tongue and cold shoulder!!!

I believe the good man suggested a trade, not an acquisition.
Repercussions from such an acquisition may be a tad unsavoury.
Mind you, trading may not be the wisest option either ;)
Don't take my beloved M7 brushes. Take the missus. And then the fight started.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator: