ShaverHeaven - difference in soaps

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Mainly directed at @Anthony but wonder if anyone else is keen on the answer for reference purposes.

I have now sampled some of these Aussie artisans and have found a world of difference between the very soft soaps - in my case Forbidden Forest (v.1...that's right isn't it @filobiblic ?) - and the hard soap - for this the Choc Mint....must say when lathered it smells more like Coconut Rough chocolate than Choc Mint. The soft soap has amazing glide and moisturising post-shave feel while the hard soap is very dry (on the pass) and drying (post-shave).

Wondering on the difference between these soaps - as I'm keen on the former and not so much the latter. Having said that was the Choc Mint - in a small twist-tube dispenser - an old experimental batch?

tHi @stillshunter . The twist tube sampler you would have been provided with is a Glycerine based soap, therefore completely different from the "Forbidden Forest" V1 you would have used.
The V1 is an oil based soap, where as the twist tube dispenser is the Glycerine based.

I recently pulled the Glycerine based soap from the shop as they were not moving, as I think there is a stigma that all glycerine based soaps are "Melt and Pour", and most of them are, however, mine were not.
I used melt and pour bases, however, I also added my own ingredients for lather stability and extra glide. I may re-visit them again in the future, as they have been selling, but at a much more slower pace than the oil based soaps.

The difference between the V1 Forbidden forest and all my stock that I am carrying now (which are all my latest formulation which people have been referring to as my V5) is the addition of Lactic Acid as well as small tweaks to the amount of oils used (still the same ingredients).

The new formulation is slicker and provides more glide as well as better "face feel" after the shave. I have also worked to make it an easier soap to lather.
The V1's are also "Cold Processed" shave soaps, where all the soaps are now "Hot Processed" which mean curing times are a lot less.

If you're impressed by the Glycerine soap, please bare with me as I'm taking inventory of current stock, and will look at adding them back on the page soon. Its just the stigma around glycerine based that the person just melts a pre-made bar of Glycerine soap and just adds scent to it (which is probably the case with most of those soap types) however, I did my R&D on them, and made modifications.

I must say, as a soap maker, I get much more satisfaction making the oil based than the glycerine, however, I have had customers (and family) who preferred the glycerine based soap over the oil based. Entirely personal preference.

I'm glad you enjoyed using them in either case.
I've got a whole HEAP of new scented soaps, and now that I have some bulk orders out of the way I will be introducing a whole new line of shave soaps, as well as some "Limited Edition" soaps which will be made in small batches.

Thanks again
Regards,

Anthony

Thanks @Anthony. I must say that your newer soft soaps are terrific. The lather is so creamy and thick. Both thumbs up. It's great to hear that you've now got distributors for your soaps in the USA and the UK. All the best with moving forward even further this year with your "hobby". [emoji6]

I'll give it another plug...

As some of you are aware I received a couple of tins of Mikes natural soap in the mail about a week ago. So for the last 4 days I have been using it with my new plisson brush with good results.
This morning I read this post and decided it was a good enough reason to crack out my barbershop scent shaverheaven soap. I loaded up with the pllisson and this stuff loaded twice as fast as the mikes. I lathered up and it lathered easier than mikes, I shaved and it was slicker than mikes and finally in my opinion the scent is better than mikes barbershop also. So ymmv but I rate this soap extremely high. I do have the latest version and it is a lot better than the original version in had tried.

Nice timely plug @Adam . If @filobiblic is feeling charitable - and I can find something of value in my stash - I will have a v.5 soap coming my way in the next few weeks. Super keen now I've heard your take mate.

Hi @Adam, thanks for the update! Glad to hear you're still enjoying using the soaps....
Indeed you have the latest V5 version (I've removed all the older versions from the website, and will be updating photo's with new packaging as soon as I get some down time).
Thanks again mate! I appreciate your feedback! I also have a whole HEAP of new scents on the way out as soon as I get some bulk orders out of the way.

Also gents, added "Eucalyptus and Lavender" scented soap. Its using 100% Aussie Eucalyptus oil grown in VIC / NSW and is WAY stronger than anything you can get form the super market... I sourced it directly from the manufacturer.
Thats my first of the Aussie soaps I plan on launching.

I liked your post, despite a partial infraction from the use of the simplified version of the "g" word ;)

Great to hear your hard work and dedication is paying off, with the results being noticeable by consumers.

@borked lol I forgot your not a fan of that word!

Thanks mate Appriciate it! So far I have representation in the UK and the US. I've approached a few local retailers but unfortunately no one is yet to jump on board. I'm really hoping things turn around here in Oz as I'd like to see them do well here as well, but a lot of interest in the US.

Thanks for the support mate. Appriciate it. I have a whole heap coming our.. Currently working on "Hot Buttered Rum". I'm definatly keeping a fill tub for me! Lol..