PIF - Shave-Ready "Bengall" 11/16 Straight Razor (Worldwide)

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
As my last PIF closed, I had only one more Cadman "Bengall" available to PIF. Fortunately @JaggardJ sent me one of his Bengall SRs to PIF which gave me two. Due to the benevolence of @Holiday, I am able to offer a shave-ready post 1924 T.R. Cadman "Bengall" 11/16 straight razor to a member of P&C. This SR was received with a Jnat edge so I was given the opportunity to compare it against one of my 6/8 diamond pasted balsa edged Bengalls. I was suitably impressed!

In all passes, the Jnat was smoother over the skin. First pass was N-S, and the balsa edge was just a tad closed than the jnat. I then re-lathered for my second pass. Second pass was started with a CdM (fool's pass). The balsa edge was noticeably keener but the jnat was still no slouch. The rest of this pass was mostly XTG and there was no noticeable difference between the two edges. Third pass was XTG in the opposite direction. Again, no noticeable difference between the two edges. Overall, I was impressed with the jnat edge that @JaggardJ had given this blade. I would happily shave off his edges.

This SR was provided to me in good condition and is being PIFed basically as received. There are some very faint water stains on the blade that I have not even attempted to remove. The heel of this blade has been modified (not really to my liking) to make it "easier" to hone. This is normally not required on a Cadman "Bengall".

lql3hVA.jpg

mmufTQu.jpg

QeRn5fD.jpg

Y7ik2np.jpg

g4X8ShB.jpg

Razor Characteristics:

Manufacturer = T.R. Cadman & Sons Ltd, Sheffield, England​
Year of Manufacture = after 1924​
Blade material = high carbon steel​
Blade width = 17.5mm (11/16)​
Point style = Dutch (round)​
Grind = full hollow​
Edge length = 63mm​
Bevel angle = 16.6°​
Blade thickness at top of bevel = 0.28m​
Stabilizers = one each side​
Spine decoration = none​
Jimps = bottom of shank​
Scales material = plastic faux ivory​
Wedge = tapered plastic​
Pins = two of nickel alloy​
Mass = 46g​
Razor Honing:

The blade has been honed by @JaggardJ with a Jnat finish. Contact @JaggardJ with any questions on this SR's honing. All I have done is stropped the blade on clean leather after it's test shave and polished it with Renaissance wax.​

Rules:

1. This PIF is open to members worldwide.​
2. You must have been a member of P&C on 02 November 2023.​
3. The winner is to pay postage within 72 hours of winning (see postal rates below).​
4. Entries close 2359hrs UTC Friday 10 November 2023 (that's Saturday morning in Australia).​

How to enter:

To win this PIF requires skill. You need to determine how much dried dog food my Australian Kelpie dog, Levy, will eat between 0001hrs UTC Saturday 04 November 2023 and 2359hrs UTC Friday 10 November 2023.​
To assist you in this determination, Levy is 3 years old and weighs in at 19kg. We live on a farm outside of Mareeba Qld where levy has the run of the property to play in. Being a citrus farm, Levy has nothing to herd but tries her best with the local Kangaroos. Her diet consists on whatever she can scrounge around the property, mainly road-kill kangaroos and the dried dog food that is available to her 24/7. She doesn't like her dried dog food and only eats it when really hungry. During the past three similar PIFs, Levy has been eating on average 183g, 194g and 168g respectively of dried dog food per day.​
.​
To enter just post in this thread "I'm in", with your determination of how must dried dog food Levy will eat (in grams). The nearest correct determination will win this wonderful PIF.​
The winner will be notified via PM on P&C and here in this thread soon after the PIF closes. The winner will then have 72 hours to pay the postage via PayPal or bitcoin (online or LN). If postage is not received by then, the next closest to the actual amount eaten will be the winner.​
If you find that this SR is not for you, all I ask is that you return the razor to me. I will then refresh the blade's edge and PIF it to another member.​

Postage Rates:

Australia = AU$2.70 delivered within 5 to 10 business days​
New Zealand = AU$17.60 (about US$11.40) delivered within 8 to 12 business days​
Asia/Pacific = AU$21.60 (about US$14.00) delivered within 10 to 18 business days​
US/Canada = AU$24.20 (about US$15.70) delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$29.60 (about US$19.25 delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Rest of world = AU$35.60 (about US$23.00) delivered within 15 to 25 business days​

@sd_baker, the SR on offer here was Jnat honed by @JaggardJ and I have no Jnat whetstones. I also appreciate that every natural whetstone is different, even ones from the same vein and supplier.

My Cant is an Adahee #12000. It is now used exclusively with my stainless steel SRs. I found that, when wanting a natural finished edge, the Cnat is best for me on SS blades. I reserve me hard black Arkansas and vintage coticule for softer steels. The Jnat Bengall here is now all packed up ready for posting.

I cannot really compare a Jnat edge against a Cnat edge as all my Bengalls have pasted balsa edges. The Jnat edge here is good and I enjoyed shaving with it. For keenness, in the CdM (fool's pass) where keenness is really needed, I much prefer a diamond pasted balsa strop edge on my Bengalls. For overall smoothness and ease of shaving using a Bengall, I would prefer a Jnat or HBA edge.

I have now finished one test shave with this Bengall. The shave was the best I've had in my limited experience. I can't quite put my finger on it as to why, but everything just came easy with this razor. I love the feel of it in hand, it feels light and nimble.

Only one small bleeder (weeper?) could be detected from fool's pass. It may well be a problem with the way I lather or the soap I'm using.

I let the razor rest for a day and then stropped 60 passes and was very pleased that the original sharpness has returned (according to HHT). This validates my stropping technique and equipment somewhat.

Thanks again @JaggardJ and @rbscebu .