PIF No. 14 (Worldwide) - Shave-ready 6/8 French Point Pre-1924 T.R. Cadman "Bengall" (How long is a piece of string?)

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
A donation from @Phil Harmonica to the cause. This shave-ready straight razor is a T.R Cadman "Bengall" from pre-1924.

3gV3pdn.jpg

BgjLmWh.jpg

Technical Details:

Maker = T.R. Cadman & Sons Ltd., Sheffield, England​
Model = Imperial Bengall​
Blade material = high carbon steel (Sheffield)​
Point style = Dutch (round)​
Grind = full hollow​
Blade width = 19mm (6/8)​
Bevel angle = 16.1ยฐ​
Blade thickness = 0.28mm at top of bevel​
Edge length = 68mm​
Stabilizers = one each side​
Jimps = bottom of shank​
Tail length = 23mm opened 270ยฐ​
Scales material = faux ivory​
Pins = 2 of nickel alloy​
Wedge = tapered lead​
Length closed = 162mm​
Mass = 47g​

Condition:

This straight razor is in used condition. The blade has been sanded and polished, although there are still some very minor pockmarks both sides of the blade. This is hardly noticeable. The spine shows a normal amount of wear for its age. I have honed this razor (without tape) up to and including shave-ready (to my standard), finishing on a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression.​
Note: This razor is suitable for a beginner into the gentlemanly art or a more experienced SR shaver.​

Rules:

1. This PIF is open to members worldwide.​
2. You must have been a member of P&C on 17 January 2024.​
3. The winner is to pay postage within 72 hours of winning (see postal rates below).​
4. Entries closed 2359hrs UTC Friday 19 January 2024 (that's Saturday morning in AU).​

How to enter:

This PIF requires some skill. You need to determine how long is the following piece of string (to the nearest millimetre (mm).​

iueryKb.jpg

I have not measured the string but my guess is that it is somewhere between 300mm and 500mm (I could be wrong).​
To win this PIF, just post "I'm in" with your determination of the length of the string in millimetres (mm). [e.g., I'm in 155mm].​
If you find that this SR is not for you, all I ask is that you return the razor to me. I will then refresh the blade's edge and PIF it to another member.​

Postage Rates:

Australia = AU$2.70 delivered within 5 to 10 business days​
New Zealand = AU$17.60 (about US$11.40) delivered within 8 to 12 business days​
Asia/Pacific = AU$21.60 (about US$14.00) delivered within 10 to 18 business days​
US/Canada = AU$24.20 (about US$15.70) delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$29.60 (about US$19.25 delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Rest of world = AU$35.60 (about US$23.00) delivered within 15 to 25 business days​

This razor was taken for its test shave this morning. Whoever wins will not be disappointed.

The test shave was shaving S-N on my upper lip (ATG for me). The edge on this blade performed like a new half-DE Feather blade in a shavette for cutting ability, a very rare occurrence, and was more comfortable to shave with. I don't think I could ask for a better edge.

After this test shave, the blade was given about half-a-dozen laps on a clean kid-leather strop to clean the bevel, then refreshed with 60 laps on a 0.1ฮผm diamond pasted hanging balsa strop. A final stropping on a clean Kyrgyzstan calf-leather strop and it is ready to go.

I have not disinfected this blade. I autoclave my head before and after each shave. If you win and wish to, you may disinfect the blade yourself.