PIF No. 11 (Worldwide) - 2 x Gold Dollar 66, one shave-ready and the other with factory edge [10 sets available]

NOTICE
After packaging up some kit, I found that their domestic (Australian) postage is more than I thought. International postage remains unchanged. The new postage rates are:

Postage Rates:

Australia
= AU$4.15 delivered within 5 to 10 business days
New Zealand = AU$17.60 (about US$11.40) delivered within 8 to 12 business days
Asia/Pacific = AU$21.60 (about US$14.00) delivered within 10 to 18 business days
US/Canada = AU$24.20 (about US$15.70) delivered within 6 to 10 business days
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$29.60 (about US$19.25 delivered within 6 to 10 business days
Rest of world = AU$35.60 (about US$23.00) delivered within 15 to 25 business days

Those who have already paid for their postage need do nothing. I will cover the excess.

I received my shave-ready GD66, gifted to me by @rbscebu on Thursday and used it this morning for the first time. I usually shave with a DE or injector Mon-Fri and SR’s on the weekend.

After doing twenty-five laps on Roo leather (probably not necessary) I began to shave. The first N to S stroke across my Adam’s Apple was sheer delight and from there it just kept getting better and better.

At the completion of my first WTG pass I had a very comfortable DFS. I was going to stop at that point, but I was having so much fun using this blade that I decided to continue. My next pass was XTG on my cheeks, followed by ATG on both my neck and cheeks which gave me a beautiful BBS shave.

I always see Richard’s posts regarding his razors that have been finished on diamond pasted balsa and was glad to be given the chance to actually try one for myself.

After shaving with this GD66 I have to say that my honing still has room for improvement!
GD.jpg

I received my shave-ready GD66, gifted to me by @rbscebu on Thursday and used it this morning for the first time. I usually shave with a DE or injector Mon-Fri and SR’s on the weekend.

After doing twenty-five laps on Roo leather (probably not necessary) I began to shave. The first N to S stroke across my Adam’s Apple was sheer delight and from there it just kept getting better and better.

At the completion of my first WTG pass I had a very comfortable DFS. I was going to stop at that point, but I was having so much fun using this blade that I decided to continue. My next pass was XTG on my cheeks, followed by ATG on both my neck and cheeks which gave me a beautiful BBS shave.

I always see Richard’s posts regarding his razors that have been finished on diamond pasted balsa and was glad to be given the chance to actually try one for myself.

After shaving with this GD66 I have to say that my honing still has room for improvement!
GD.jpg
I am waiting for mine to come and I have to say I am really excited about this Santa’s present. I have not been excited about presents for at least 20 years😂

I know. I have never had a properly honed razor.
And BBS after 2 passes? Amazing 👍🏻
BBS after two passes is not just the razor. It also takes a refined SR shaving technique.

After a couple of hundred daily three-pass shaves, I was getting a BBS result that was just too good. It was leaving me with almost nothing to shave 24 hours later.I then had to modify my technique to get me back to a DFS+ result and have something to shave the next day.

BBS after two passes is not just the razor. It also takes a refined SR shaving technique.

After a couple of hundred daily three-pass shaves, I was getting a BBS result that was just too good. It was leaving me with almost nothing to shave 24 hours later.I then had to modify my technique to get me back to a DFS+ result and have something to shave the next day.
My technique is getting better. Especially with the right hand. So my left side is always better shaved than the right one🤭

After doing twenty-five laps on Roo leather (probably not necessary) I began to shave.
For the benefit of others, I want to call out one should NOT STROP before test shaving. It's quite possible, especially for those new to SRs, that your strop and technique could detract from the edge.

I'm having kind of a tangential problem. I want to preserve the edge as a standard for my own honing, so I haven't shaved with mine yet, only doing HHTs.

Hey all,

I’m excited to share my experience with the Gold Dollar razor that @rbscebu kindly sent me. I’ve always been curious about these razors and how they compare to my own collection.

The razor was very sharp right out of the box. I tested it on some arm hairs and a hanging hair, and it passed both with flying colors. I didn’t strop it before shaving, because I wanted to see the original quality of the edge. As @sd_baker wisely advises, this is a good way to evaluate a new razor.

I decided to give it a try this morning, even though it was meant for my son. I was impressed by how smoothly it shaved. I got a BBS result with just two passes, WTG and ATG. It performed as well as any of my other razors.

Here is this morning's equipment:
It looks very similar to my ‘Comoy’s of London’ straights, which supports the idea that they are re-branded GDs. The scales are identical and the blade is almost the same, except for the missing stabiliser.

I know some people are not fans of the GD, but I think they are great for beginners. They are affordable, easy to hone, and shave well. And if you stick with straight shaving, you’ll always have a reliable razor in your rotation.