Review Murphy & Daughters Old School Shave Cream

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
It's always a pleasure to review an Australian product. We have some hidden gems like Occams and ShaverHeaven but then we have those we'd prefer to forget like Valor or Otoko. But for the most part we are all distracted by the shiny new things that come out of the US. So it is with great pleasure that I introduce Murphy & Daughters Old School Shave Cream.

Q7uBg3Z.jpg

First thing I noticed was the label no hipster motifs or pirates straddling goldfish. Just the brand and nice clean lime text on a black label that says what's in it - in a very tasteful and contemporary way.

image002.png

Next, the container. Great size. A few makers of hard soaps could learn a thing or two about being less stingy with the girth of their tubs. But then the contents of Murphy & Daughters doesn't necessarily need the room for a brush to work hard. This is a soft cream, similar in consistency to Occams.

Before I move onto the lather though I'd like to talk a little about the ingredients. This is all natural. I know what everything on that label means and is - nothing that sounds like a new disease invented to sell a product (and the ingredients in that product) nor does it sound like robot jive. Key ingredients include Coconut Oi, Shea Butter, Macadamia Seed Oil, Aloe Vera and Sandalwood. This is the first thing I really appreciate in my lather, no rubbish. I also like to steer clear from Palm Oil and the ingredients do not depend on it primarily (in it's palminate forms), however there may be palm in the stearic acid?

So you pop the lid and what do you get? Well Murphy and Daughters says Eucalyptus, Menthol and Lavender. I agree it has that freshness but don't think of that Proraso smack in the face kind of Eucalyptus and Menthol. To my nose I get more of a citrus zesty high note and a smell reminiscent of Lemon Verbena. Very fresh.

To the lather, as I mentioned earlier this is a cream and I mean a soft cream. So really all you need is to the dip the brush in the tub and maybe twist your wrist and there's enough for four passes. My usual routine is to get the motion going without any water and this what we get - already nice and smooth...though I fear already I've overloaded.

E6H3SYh.jpg

After a few drops of water and 30 seconds of work and we are already getting somewhere nice. There are bubbles but they are tightening - and I should note this brush is still not completely broken in yet.

vGxcgIY.jpg

And after about a minute and a bit I have my lather

TKBra3l.jpg

As you can see nice texture. The peaks hold and the consistency between the fingers is very very viscous. I actually think I could have dialled back the water a smidgen, but irrespective a very nice lather. When wet the scent gets a little more citrus and spice. It really is a nice scent - very different from my usual heady European profiles.

The lather build nicely on the face. Closer to the nose I get more zesty a scent and then the slight tingle - I assume that comes from the menthol - makes me think of lemons. The lather goes on nicely, but I did notice for the first lather that the lather thins a little. No trouble I just add more, but it does thin again. However, any concerns I had about the apparent thinning lather were satiated on my first pass. "Slickness" or "glide" or whatever you want to call it, this lather has it in the nines. Also this glide is in no way to the expense of protection. It's a funny lather, it is not protective in the thick resistive sense but more it provides a nice buffer to the glide - so blade to face with lather in-between feels like rubbing two bits of satin or silk together. I really, really rate this lather. A word of caution though this reminds me a little of the lather I get from the version 1 of ShaverHeaven's soaps (in my case the Forbidden Forest) it's so slick and protective you feel a little invincible. It is the lather that earned me my only (so far) shaving scar. I mean a fat tallow lather can be nice but this sort of smooth, silky glycerine/vegetable based lather is very, very nice.

So my initial fears of overloading were well founded. After four passes I still had lather enough left for at least another shave. I've been conditioned to abhor waste and this is a sin I confess to this morning. But it does prove you don't need much cream to make the required lather. I'd predict an almond sized scoop on your finger would do the job.

Finally, post-shave? Immediate post-shave is odd. I came out of the basin after a few rinses and dried my face and the shave area was very dry. Then I splashed my face again and left the water to make its own way off, out or in (my usual clean-up state) and it felt so beautifully moisturised. Lather rinsed out well from the brush and the scent didn't appear to stain the knot. By the time all was right again with the brush, razor, and bowl. I wiped my face dry and applied the after shave. Only the slightest sting.

I sit here now about thirty minutes post shave and I feel very happy A close shave with a face that remains soft and well moisturised. The impression I'm left with is we have another medal here for Australia. I need a few more shaves to really make a call but I suspect this will rate up there beside Occams. A those who know me, know this is no small call.

Congratulations Murphy and Daughters.

Thanks for the write up @stillshunter

It'll be great to hear your verdict again after a dozen or so shaves with a variety of different brushes. Seems to be the real deal but thinning lather doesn't sound good. I remain cautiously optimistic it will be a once off occurrence...

I like the sound of the ingredients though and it's great to have another Aussie product. I love to support
Aussies but some soapmakers aren't shavers and swing their product from what they know rather than what is needed for shavers. Not sure where this one is at... Didn't you reach out to the soap maker? What was their response? My understanding is that this is their only shaving product/scent - is that correct?

How's the price compared to Occams (luxury end)? Or the well priced Shaver Heaven?

Edit: Checked the prices myself.

Murphy's (230g) $35 (& delivery)
Occams (170g) $35 (free delivery with MB)
Shaver Heaven (150g) $17 (& delivery)

So it works out to be for each 100gms*:
$20 for Occams
$15 for Murphy's
$11 for Shaver Heaven

*Postage not included.

Last edited:
Your reviews are great @stillshunter - keep 'em coming!
Thanks for the write up @stillshunter
My pleasure fellas and thank you for taking the time to read!

It'll be great to hear your verdict again after a dozen or so shaves with a variety of different brushes. Seems to be the real deal but thinning lather doesn't sound good. I remain cautiously optimistic it will be a once off occurrence...
I have a sneaking suspicion this might have been down to too think a lather. Next time I'l dial back the water...I normally do find creams less thirsty than most soaps.

I like the sound of the ingredients though and it's great to have another Aussie product. I love to support
Aussies but some soapmakers aren't shavers and swing their product from what they know rather than what is needed for shavers. Not sure where this one is at...
You'll better tell by the sample I'm sending you. Be keen on your adding your impressions to this thread.

Didn't you reach out to the soap maker?
Yes

What was their response?
They put their money where their mouth is - hence their sending me a sample

My understanding is that this is their only shaving product/scent - is that correct?
Yep just the one and only scent. It's a classic and classy. I don;t much go in for makers with too many and too complicated a line-up. I agree with the likes of Occams, MdC, etc. where two scents will do. That's choice but not overboard.

How's the price compared to Occams (luxury end)? Or the well priced Shaver Heaven?
Same price as Occams - $35 for 229g.

Sounds good and a great review @stillshunter

Must ensure that some is in PCTB3 :)

Thanks to @stillshunter I had a chance to try a sample of this today and as agreed here are my thoughts.

Stillsy covered both the ingredients and packaging so I'll skip over them and go straight to the scent, M&D claim it to be a mix of Eucalyptus, Menthol and Lavender, but all I get is a very strong citrus scent with a hint of Eucalyptus. It's a nice, refreshing scent but not what I expected.

Moving on to the lather and after soaking my Vulfix for a minute I put a pea sized drop of cream into my scuttle and began to build it up. A couple of minutes later and after adding several drops of water I was rewarded with a very nice, thick yogurt like lather. No trouble at all to build although it required more water and time than usual for a cream and I didn't have any of the drying issues @stillshunter had. On the face it gave a very nice shave, the lather felt great and was both slick and protective with no issues, although I didn't get any of the menthol tingle that Stillsy did.

After my usual two passes and clean up I gave myself a cold water splash and followed up with Floid Vigoroso, minimal burn and no irritation. My face however did not feel especially moisturised and I really do wish that I'd followed this shave up with a balm.

All in all this is very nice cream, @stillshunter puts it in the almost the same league as Occams, I do not. I find Occams to be much more moisturising and easier to lather with a much nicer face feel. I'd put it somewhere around the same level as TOBS creams, very nice stuff but there's better products out there and for the price, $43.90 posted, I'd expect something much better than this.

Great review @Nightguard ! Mate this really does go to show there might be some truth to the whole YMMV thing. Hmmm...

The post-shave feel is a funny thing. Again, my face was too dry initially. It was only after the second splash that it plumbed its wetness. Then again my skin type is quite oily so not sure of that has a bearing....

I too got sent a sample of this Murphy & Daughters Old School Shaving cream from @stillshunter. Many thanks to him for the chance to give this a go.

I'm going to echo a lot of what @Nightguard just wrote above...

The scent is very pleasant and is a good strength. I pick up a sweet citrus followed by the Eucalyptus. There is a vague floral note in there. It's quite refreshing and lovely. Perfect for a Spring/Summer shave. Perhaps not as flexible to use all year around.

I used the ShaveMac badger and bowl lathered (not my usual method of lathering). I swished the brush in the zip lock bag and coated the bristles in a good amount. I even then scooped some more into the bowl. No trouble to whip up some lather although not as voluminous as I'd expect.

Lather went on well and gave a reasonable shave. It washed off very cleanly (too cleanly in my opinion). The cushioning was low-medium but glide was medium-high. It did dry on the face and I am glad I choose not to use my straight. As I'm still a bit slow with the pass, I need a solid lather that remains thick on the face. This wasn't it. It certainly didn't take as much water as B&M or Mikes soap.

No menthol tingle for me either.

No irritation but it wasn't a great shave. Just borderline. As @Nightguard said, it needs a good moisturising balm to follow the shave.

My thoughts post-shave were exactly the same as @Nightguard's - not bad, but I expect more for this price point. It really is similar to a TOBS cream and should be in the same price bracket. It's not in the top tier, nor in the crowded just-off-top-tier, but in the mid range of quality, solid creams/soaps. I'd recommend fellow Aussie Artisans Occams (cream) and Shaver Heaven (soaps) before this cream.

I plan to pass my sample on to another bloke so that we get even more reviews.

I still don't really understand glide and cushioning. I get the concept i just don't think i am in touch with my feelings enough to worry about it when I'm shaving.
It either works well or it doesn't.

I still don't really understand glide and cushioning. I get the concept i just don't think i am in touch with my feelings enough to worry about it when I'm shaving.

Totally agree. By the way, is this stuff as satisfying as Mrs Palmer and her Five Beautiful Daughters? Sorry, had to be said!

It's always a pleasure to review an Australian product. We have some hidden gems like Occams and ShaverHeaven but then we have those we'd prefer to forget like Valor or Otoko. But for the most part we are all distracted by the shiny new things that come out of the US. So it is with great pleasure that I introduce Murphy & Daughters Old School Shave Cream.
Thumbs up to the Aussie artisans.

I take glide to be the "slipperiness" of the soap. Especially felt when you feel the lather between your thumb and index fingertips.
Cushion is the "protection" the lather makes between razor and face. So with thumb and index fingertip pressed together, how much "padding" there is between. Hard to describe.
With both terms, it's more felt/experienced and then judged during the shave itself. How the razor blade feels as it scrapes across your face, along with the post-shave feel of your face, combine to help you judge the performance of these two factors.
Of course, it's highly subjective and there is no real scientific definition. But if one person keeps their own record, then it's for their own personal comparison against other soaps and creams.

I too got sent a sample of this Murphy & Daughters Old School Shaving cream from @stillshunter. Many thanks to him for the chance to give this a go.

I'm going to echo a lot of what @Nightguard just wrote above...

The scent is very pleasant and is a good strength. I pick up a sweet citrus followed by the Eucalyptus. There is a vague floral note in there. It's quite refreshing and lovely. Perfect for a Spring/Summer shave. Perhaps not as flexible to use all year around.

I used the ShaveMac badger and bowl lathered (not my usual method of lathering). I swished the brush in the zip lock bag and coated the bristles in a good amount. I even then scooped some more into the bowl. No trouble to whip up some lather although not as voluminous as I'd expect.

Lather went on well and gave a reasonable shave. It washed off very cleanly (too cleanly in my opinion). The cushioning was low-medium but glide was medium-high. It did dry on the face and I am glad I choose not to use my straight. As I'm still a bit slow with the pass, I need a solid lather that remains thick on the face. This wasn't it. It certainly didn't take as much water as B&M or Mikes soap.

No menthol tingle for me either.

No irritation but it wasn't a great shave. Just borderline. As @Nightguard said, it needs a good moisturising balm to follow the shave.

My thoughts post-shave were exactly the same as @Nightguard's - not bad, but I expect more for this price point. It really is similar to a TOBS cream and should be in the same price bracket. It's not in the top tier, nor in the crowded just-off-top-tier, but in the mid range of quality, solid creams/soaps. I'd recommend fellow Aussie Artisans Occams (cream) and Shaver Heaven (soaps) before this cream.

I plan to pass my sample on to another bloke so that we get even more reviews.

Great review Phil!

So anyone else keen to review the soap? If so reply here and if I have enough I'll get some out to you - the only caveat as so well-observed by both @Nightguard and @filobiblic , is the posting of a decent review on this thread. I have pointed the maker to this thread and so I'd like for them to see how their soap is received by the local community. Who knows some of you, like me, might buy some....

I take glide to be the "slipperiness" of the soap. Especially felt when you feel the lather between your thumb and index fingertips.
Cushion is the "protection" the lather makes between razor and face. So with thumb and index fingertip pressed together, how much "padding" there is between. Hard to describe.
With both terms, it's more felt/experienced and then judged during the shave itself. How the razor blade feels as it scrapes across your face, along with the post-shave feel of your face, combine to help you judge the performance of these two factors.
Of course, it's highly subjective and there is no real scientific definition. But if one person keeps their own record, then it's for their own personal comparison against other soaps and creams.
Oh you're a brave man @filobiblic , I see you've left the bait dangling for the likes of @eggbert and @Pjotr ....let the fun begin.

If I get lather on my fingertips I've usually done something silly. Consequently I try not to.

If I get lather on my fingertips I've usually done something silly. Consequently I try not to.
Not even from lathering with your brush? Or wiping it from your lips or nostrils?