Mobil Phones Help

Johnus

Well I went and did it this morning. My sister has an iPhone 3GS that hadn't had the ISO updated in years. Getting to the point where it eouldnt take new Apps because the ISO was so old. Well this morning I hooked it up to iTunes as it says to do and I Lost all her Texts, Photos, Contacts. Wifi settings.
Had a IDrive program that retrieved the contacts but everything else is still gone!!
Help . What do I do 1st!!!???

Well I went and did it this morning. My sister has an iPhone 3GS that hadn't had the ISO updated in years. Getting to the point where it eouldnt take new Apps because the ISO was so old. Well this morning I hooked it up to iTunes as it says to do and I Lost all her Texts, Photos, Contacts. Wifi settings.
Had a IDrive program that retrieved the contacts but everything else is still gone!!
Help . What do I do 1st!!!???

Stay away from your sister!

Stay away from your sister!

This. For the love of omnipotent being, this.

Generally, you need to run a backup of the phone first with the oooooollllld versions of iOS. This saves all the data back to a zip file on the PC.

You then run the upgrade, and the restore the data back on, followed by a reset of all settings (but not data). If the phone had iCloud enabled then that might save you, but generally the iP3GS did not have that enabled out of the box (I think it was that iP4 that did).

This. For the love of omnipotent being, this.

Generally, you need to run a backup of the phone first with the oooooollllld versions of iOS. This saves all the data back to a zip file on the PC.

You then run the upgrade, and the restore the data back on, followed by a reset of all settings (but not data). If the phone had iCloud enabled then that might save you, but generally the iP3GS did not have that enabled out of the box (I think it was that iP4 that did).
Yep.

Nice knowing you...

Had a similar sort of problem with iTunes recently. Decided against my better judgement, after several years of knocking back updates, to update to the latest version and promptly lost all my playlists, all the album information and the link to the library of half a terrabyte of music which, if you have loads of classical is like a death knell. Even if I restored the link to the library it wouldn't recognise composer, movement you name it. Thankfully being old fashioned, all my music's on original CDs in the event of something like this happening. In any case, the external hard drive it was all stored on decided to die on me and although all the other data was retrieved restoring all that was pretty pointless. Now I'm back to loading CDs and making new playlists. Loads of fun. I guess my external CD drive will die next.

Pjotr - same I believe that I followed all the iTunes instructions as they came up. I'm going to go back into the computer this morning and see what's left there. I have an old iPhone 3GS that I only use on wifi that I might try to plug in before I try my sisters again. The main thing shed pissed about are the photos.
I had both IDrive lite for contacts on the phone that restored most of 'contacts' but IDrive photo wanted to reset to an earier time last year. Not sure that was a good idea???

I had both IDrive lite for contacts on the phone that restored most of 'contacts' but IDrive photo wanted to reset to an earier time last year. Not sure that was a good idea???

It might be the only option to recover some photos. Obviously it won't get anything past the restore date, but it's better than nothing. I'm not sure if Apple has any kind of 'hard drive recovery' software/app for phones, but the best practice is generally to make a backup before you do the update. It's shitty, but I too have learned that the hard way.

I hate my iPhone, but it's mostly my own fault for the things I blame it for. I'm slack about backing up my phone despite being religious about backing everything else up, and the number of times I've lost stuff due to absent-minded updates is ridiculous. If not for the fact that I'd have to buy another standalone music player, I'd throw the fucking thing in the bin and get an Android-based phone that plays nice with Linux.

She's still talking to me: " I can't believe that you lost all my photos and text" Why did you do that?" I'll try to fix it this morning. " No! I have to go to work right now and I have to take a phone!!(;-(#%*%%*^!

Well I have 10 hrs to read up on it. Have the computer I did the ' iTunes' on with me. It might show something !

It might be the only option to recover some photos. Obviously it won't get anything past the restore date, but it's better than nothing. I'm not sure if Apple has any kind of 'hard drive recovery' software/app for phones, but the best practice is generally to make a backup before you do the update. It's shitty, but I too have learned that the hard way.

I hate my iPhone, but it's mostly my own fault for the things I blame it for. I'm slack about backing up my phone despite being religious about backing everything else up, and the number of times I've lost stuff due to absent-minded updates is ridiculous. If not for the fact that I'd have to buy another standalone music player, I'd throw the fucking thing in the bin and get an Android-based phone that plays nice with Linux.
This is why I use Galaxy S4 with Winamp. I chuck my music on it and then I can stream it in the house, you can use the Samsung Kies software but that's probably the only reason to NOT use a Galaxy, the software is a big turd.
At least iTunes got it right.

question has to be asked though, if the photo's were so important, why were the only copies of them on the phone?

question has to be asked though, if the photo's were so important, why were the only copies of them on the phone?
Because humans own phones.
We rarely think of backups unless we are a) an IT person, 2) the wife of an IT person or d) we have been burned by drive/phone failure in the past.
Example: Wife's laptop hdd just died, the second in three months. This time round I had not yet done a backup of EVERY picture of great importance and documents that only existed on that laptop. Because I'm lazy and never thought it would happen to me again. sigh.

Where's the bourbon?

Anything of importance gets stored in multiple places now. Made even easier with the advent of easy cloud storage.

If you are worried about big brother you can even roll your own drop box like storage using owncloud.

Because humans own phones.
We rarely think of backups unless we are a) an IT person, 2) the wife of an IT person or d) we have been burned by drive/phone failure in the past.
Example: Wife's laptop hdd just died, the second in three months. This time round I had not yet done a backup of EVERY picture of great importance and documents that only existed on that laptop. Because I'm lazy and never thought it would happen to me again. sigh.

Where's the bourbon?

I'm sure you know but getting data off an undamaged hard drive is not that expensive. Well it wasn't for my external one anyhow. Might be a bit more for a laptop as I imagine there's more dismantling to do.

I'm sure you know but getting data off an undamaged hard drive is not that expensive. Well it wasn't for my external one anyhow. Might be a bit more for a laptop as I imagine there's more dismantling to do.
Yeah I know, it's probably only a matter of getting the drive out and plugging it into my external usb caddy that I have for exactly that purpose.

Next time she leaves it at home 'unguarded' I'm going to give it another try (;-). So far she's being keeping it hidden!

There's a dropbox client for every phone now. Just install it and let it sync over WiFi only. Sure, it won't save the contacts but the photos are the big thing. Worth it for the peace of mind and a few bucks a year.

iTunes will sync Wirelessly when your PC/Mac is running at home. Phone connects to Wifi, finds the iTunes service running on an IP address it knows, syncs. It does work, but iCloud is better.

I am running a HTC One M7, I have a great app which backs up my SMS messages to a folder in my Gmail. Works a treat.

This really highlights the big differences between Android and iOS.
I have automated my sms and emails through Gmail, I back up my contacts regularly to a PCM file which is stored in two spots, and I use Skydrive and Dropbox. I think I have it at the point where I could drop my phone in the ocean and then buy a new one and restore it to its current state in no time.
It's almost as good as imaging a drive really.
BUT you need to be a bit clued up about Android to do this - I don't see this as being as seamless on iOS if you don't use iCloud.