March 2016 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose a bit of water under and it will "glue" itself to the bottom enough that it doesn't move around when loading?

I'm a cheapskate, so I just bought a refill and put it into a container I grabbed from a discount store :)

I suppose a bit of water under and it will "glue" itself to the bottom enough that it doesn't move around when loading?

I've seen on another forum that if you fill it with water the soap will expand perfectly to fit the bowl it comes in.

I'm a cheapskate, so I just bought a refill and put it into a container I grabbed from a discount store :)

I have been tossing up whether to buy the refill or the bowl for weeks now. In the end I decided if I didn't like it, the bowl would look good on the shelf, and if I did, I'd be glad to have the bowl... It's not a cheap bowl that is for sure but it sure is a nice ceramic bowl.

5e5392ac028499ede97cc09d004cfd41.jpg

Duke 3 Best
Epsilon 2 band 27*55

I can't believe just how small the Duke feels in the hand. Seems like a toy & will become a travel brush given how small it is.

Duke 3 Best
Epsilon 2 band 27*55

I can't believe just how small the Duke feels in the hand. Seems like a toy & will become a travel brush given how small it is.

Duke 3 small?

Total Height: 92mm
Bristle Loft: 46mm
Knot Dia: 23mm

Hmmm, you must be BIG!

Duke 3 Best
Epsilon 2 band 27*55

Duke isn't small!! Handle is short sure, but the knot is plenty big. Give it a chance to boom.

Duke 3 small?

Total Height: 92mm
Bristle Loft: 46mm
Knot Dia: 23mm

Hmmm, you must be BIG!
Below 120mm is small, less than 100mm is positively tiny!

20160321_123426 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Ahhh PannaCrema just arrived.
Whenever I see this Namaste soap mentioned I instantly think the scent is going to be Nag Champa incense - please tell me I'm wrong or I am going to be very disappointed in the scent preferences of a few people here.

Whenever I see this Namaste soap mentioned I instantly think the scent is going to be Nag Champa incense - please tell me I'm wrong or I am going to be very disappointed in the scent preferences of a few people here.
Ha ha not a nag Champa incense. It is a lemongrass and oak-moss combination but I think the lemongrass is more prevalent. Nice scent and performance is excellent.

Hi all, it's been awhile since I've perused the forums, just been busy with life and the kit I've been using has fulfilled my needs. There was a small spanner thrown in the works a couple of days ago though, when at a clearing sale my wife came running up to me with a shaving kit she'd won for $5! We didn't even know it was there!
On the way home, I had a better look at it and did some research to find that it is an Aristocrat Jr.

MAh4cY8.jpg

It's amazing how the picture makes it look a lot nicer than it is. The brush bristles are falling out, whatever is in the bottle smells "funny", and the white stuff in the tube smells of soap. Forgot to include the bowl that came with it in the picture, although it doesn't fit in the travel case like the rest. The travel case's zipper is partially un-stitched and needs repair. I'd like to clean up the razor and use it, but I'm not sure if the brush is worth repairing?

Last edited:
Hi all, it's been awhile since I've perused the forums, just been busy with life and the kit I've been using has fulfilled my needs. There was a small spanner thrown in the works a couple of days ago though, when at a clearing sale my wife came running up to me with a shaving kit she'd won for $5! We didn't even know it was there!
On the way home, I had a better look at it and did some research to find that it is an Aristocrat Jr.

MAh4cY8.jpg

It's amazing how the picture makes it look a lot nicer than it is. The brush bristles are falling out, whatever is in the bottle smells "funny", and the white stuff in the tube smells of soap. Forgot to include the bowl that came with it in the picture, although it doesn't fit in the travel case like the rest. The travel case's zipper is partially un-stitched and needs repair. I'd like to clean up the razor and use it, but I'm not sure if the brush is worth repairing?

That's a pretty awesome find, an Aristocrat in box, with paperwork for $5! I'd keep the brush if you like the handle and maybe get it re-knotted down the track. The white stuff in the tube smells like soap because it is a stick of shaving soap. Any blades with the razor?

Congrats! Enjoy your new tools...

The Slim took three days from the US to Sydney (thank you shipito) and 10 from Sydney to Melbourne.
AusPost really outdo themselves don't they?! Probably lost (once again) in the Black Hole of Chullora...

That's a pretty awesome find, an Aristocrat in box, with paperwork for $5! I'd keep the brush if you like the handle and maybe get it re-knotted down the track. The white stuff in the tube smells like soap because it is a stick of shaving soap. Any blades with the razor?

Thanks! I'm very happy with it so far. It sure looks better since cleaning it this morning and boy was it great to shave with. More aggressive than my Muhle R89 and I'd dare say I enjoyed the shave a bit more. It has a few areas where the plating is worn off but it's character :D I'm going to consider refurbishing the brush in the future just to make it right. My wife speculated that the brush handle might be ivory because it feels a bit cold to the touch and doesn't feel like plastic or wood. Maybe bone or just really well made plastic? Thanks for the info on the shaving soap stick, I won't be be using it though it'd be nice to find something to replace it with.

It came with one unopened blade and about 20 that look used HAR! Here's a pic:

Yxr9bL6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.