January 2022 SHAVING Acquisitions

Jayaruh #408 two band badger

cUuNdLR.jpg

I just replaced the scales on a Gold Dollar 910. I originally bought the scales to replace a snapped one on a Comoy's of London SR that came like that brand new from their store. The Comoy ended up in the bin as whoever ground off the stabiliser had made an absolute mess of it and no matter what I did, I couldn't get a decent edge on the blade to shave with.

Anyway, here's the before and after shots. The only issue with the Ram's horn scales is that they absolutely stink so I'm hoping that might fade in time.

I was going to say that your really can't expect much for $35 but the GD's go all right for that price, it's a shame the Comoy couldn't.

5ErB3acl.jpg

k7co2Fzl.jpg

xfuNOHgl.jpg

Maybe we need more pandemics. :unsure: Fastest ever delivery to TAS for an international package: ordered from Japan on New Year's Day (!), arrived literally at my door (bypassing mailbox 2½km away at the bottom of "my" mountain) this morning.

No purple banners for me, that bar is way too high for this AC shaver, but this little bundle of 600 blades is enough for 11½ years at my rate of usage.

20220106-131427.jpg

Mail Call Today - thanks Ausfarce

IMG-20220106-173734-2.jpg

I'll admit I was growing somewhat concerned as no updates on tracking indicating that the parcel had landed in Australia but got a knock on the door this afternoon and delighted to see my newest additions from Poland.
I have to give it to Stan from Stando Polska as I wasn't expecting to receive such nice packaging as the metallic tin and velvet bag add to the already premium look of the SS "Svarga" handle and brass "Rod" SE with Classic handle,
Can't wait to give the razor a shave tomorrow with the extra handle paired with my Smart Helix Apollo razor head and both items feel nice and heavy.

I just replaced the scales on a Gold Dollar 910. I originally bought the scales to replace a snapped one on a Comoy's of London SR that came like that brand new from their store. The Comoy ended up in the bin as whoever ground off the stabiliser had made an absolute mess of it and no matter what I did, I couldn't get a decent edge on the blade to shave with.

Anyway, here's the before and after shots. The only issue with the Ram's horn scales is that they absolutely stink so I'm hoping that might fade in time.

I was going to say that your really can't expect much for $35 but the GD's go all right for that price, it's a shame the Comoy couldn't.
The Comoy is a decent shaver as made and after properly honing it. Pity it was ruined by someone trying to modify it.

@Straight up has a few of them and I have one. I find mine very comfortable and close to shave with.

Couldn’t resist this Frank Shaving 24mm G4 synthetic brush for $7.71 on Amazon with a coupon.

iOX1jj6.jpg
sjuQ7Ph.jpg
Hope you find the brush and knot good as the G4 is a bit hit and miss unless set at a decent loft otherwise too much of a lather hog.

The Crown Jewels arrived by mail today, many thanks to @Mark1966 for allowing this to leave his den. (y)

IMG-20220107-162302-1.jpg

Yardley is where it all started for me back in the '70s. This stuff, however is way older than that. Given that royal warrants cannot be used more than two years after the grantor's decease or abdication, the soap and talc can have been labeled no later than 1955, the after-shave no later than 1938. Amazingly for a 66+ year-old soap, it still has lots and lots of scent. I'm not sure if it's the same scent, but it's still nice off the puck. I'm going to try lathering it up tomorrow, a real adventure.

The Crown Jewels arrived by mail today, many thanks to @Mark1966 for allowing this to leave his den. (y)

IMG-20220107-162302-1.jpg

Yardley is where it all started for me back in the '70s. This stuff, however is way older than that. Given that royal warrants cannot be used more than two years after the grantor's decease or abdication, the soap and talc can have been labeled no later than 1955, the after-shave no later than 1938. Amazingly for a 66+ year-old soap, it still has lots and lots of scent. I'm not sure if it's the same scent, but it's still nice off the puck. I'm going to try lathering it up tomorrow, a real adventure.

Fantastic!

Glad they arrived there safe and sound - eventually ...

The Comoy is a decent shaver as made and after properly honing it. Pity it was ruined by someone trying to modify it.

@Straight up has a few of them and I have one. I find mine very comfortable and close to shave with.

I've heard nothing but good things about them, it was just a shame my experience wasn't the same. For the price, it was no big deal, if it was a $300+ SR, it would have been a different story.

6.png

And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood
With a ring at the end of his nose,
His nose,
His nose,
With a ring at the end of his nose.

My Forgotten Art "Tarkine" brush hasn't seen much use lately, as I got a bit bored with the Tuxedo knot, so I took @Ebonysw45's advice and cannibalised an Omega 28mm boar. The Omega knot was so easy to get out of the handle, I have the impression the handle is meant to be thrown away. For a supposedly 28mm knot, it was quite a sloppy fit in the 26mm socket, the only trimming I did was to flatten off the daggy bits at the bottom of the plug.

Fortunately the knot doesn't stink, so I can take my time breaking it in.