I gotta ask what straight razors do you have or want to aquire?

YOGI

Keeper of the Pasted Man Sticks
If I may I currently have 5 razors they are:

C-mon blackie pjm 6/8
Fw engals 6/8
Bengall 4/8
Another bengall cast steel with horn scales 7/8
Holtzapffel & Co (interesting razor this they used to make hobbies lathes back in the 1890s) 5/8 almost 6/8 wedge
Dubl Duck grim weaper scales only

I would like to add to the collection:

Wade & Butcher 8/8
Filimonica 8/8

Ahh sh*t rad coming on

I want a fairly basic 6/8 Full Hollow of some description to try. Ideally Shave ready so no major work to do to it.

No SRAD for me. Just curious to try at this stage.

If I did then decide it was something I wanted to keep doing, I would buy a quality Dovo piece brand new of about $150-$200 - ideally something that I could hand down to my son.

I'm starting to be happy with my collection. I have a feather straight handled one on the way and think that that will be my last buy for awhile.

I bought a bengall in serous need of restoration once, almost sliced my thumb in half rubbing the rust back, so no more straight restorations by me.
But as a heritage/family thing seeing my family came from sheffield, I wouldn't mind finding some good condition sheffield straights.
Sheffield steel!
But not really looking now. May start learning with the rolls (after I've run out of disposable blades already stockpiled 2 years ago) and then move on from there.

I've cut myself so many times while sanding down its not funny Been meaning to buy kevlar gloves

I have restored razors In the past with a dremel on low settings. The razor was sitting on a slab of mdf with bluetac to hold the razor down. Just make sure that the Bluetac sits flush with the razor so the dramel bit doesn't catch on the blade

Sheffield was once world renowned cuttlers and now nothing quite sad really. They can't even reproduce the vintage metal now days

4 TI. Le grot x3 and an oak wing
Dovo 5/8 basic
Dovo all stainless 5/8
3x gold dollars
2x double arrow

The double arrows are the only ones I say don't waste your time on.

I destroyed a 1800's something silver steel while trying to restore.

Yogi is right when he cautions about the blade catching when using a dremel. Yes, I learned the hard way. I was lucky that it was only a small chip that took a couple of extra hours to correct. Since then I try to only work on them by hand.

Last edited:
My collection is too extensive to list (even I don't know what I've got .... hehe)

I am waiting for my SRP limited edition to arrive and I really want a Filarmonica 6 or 7/8 but can't afford any that I've seen on the bay so far

I recently had the pleasure of honing 3 new TI 7/8 Oakwings and, I must say that they are now on my list of 'must have' razors - absolute works of art.

Last edited:
It's easy enough to make a 'sanding jig' to rest tthe blade on - much easier on the fingers.
A search on SRP will yield good results

I've cut myself so many times while sanding down its not funny Been meaning to buy kevlar gloves

I have restored razors In the past with a dremel on low settings. The razor was sitting on a slab of mdf with bluetac to hold the razor down. Just make sure that the Bluetac sits flush with the razor so the dramel bit doesn't catch on the blade

Sheffield was once world renowned cuttlers and now nothing quite sad really. They can't even reproduce the vintage metal now days

Waiting for a GD 208 6/8 to come in. Should be here sometime next week. Interested in seeing the difference between the 208 and my current 66.