How often do you think about the Roman Empire?

How often do you think about the Roman Empire?

• Every day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most days

• Once a week

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Once a fortnight

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Once a month

• Less frequently than once a month

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I was asked this by a friend recently.

She was inspired to ask by a recent column by Janet Albrechtsen, The Rest is History podcast hosts Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook want us to stop moralising about the past.

From the column -

"How often do you think about the Roman Empire? It turns out lots of men do, and often. Or at least many say they do.

Last month, this random question began circulating on social media, with women doing the asking. The similarity of the responses made headlines around the world in the same week I was speaking with British historian Tom Holland. Surely Holland would think a lot about the ancient world?

I try out the question over pizza and wine with a group of four men on a sunny spring day on the Mornington Peninsula. One asks if Rome is code for sex. No, fellas, I mean Rome as in Augustus, bloodshed, the Colosseum, concrete, the Julian calendar and all that stuff.

All four men say, one way or another, that they think about ancient Rome most days."

So here is the question, and YES, I want your answers in term of Ancient Rome, not sex -

Last edited:
It varies over the year and definitely more often in the second quarter when I think of Latin and Roman History every time the months don't align ie: Latin/Month Septem (7/9) through to Decem (10/12) so annoying for a simpleton like myself

Although not really thinking about the empire daily it does influence our daily lives every time we use the calendar

Sometimes I think of Caesar.
NeLwHZb.jpg

Oh ye without a good classical education. "Remum" is "oar", "whore" is "meretrix".
Yay, someone here with an education! (y)

Latin was a compulsory subject for the first 4 years of high school for me. On arrival of the teacher in the classroom, we were expected to intone "Salvete, magister", pronouncing the "v" as "w" in the orthodox fashion.

Now magister mundi sum, but I seem to be making a mess of it... :ROFLMAO: