Hi from Scotland

Jaco

Hi guys

My name is Jaco, originally from South Africa, living in Scotland for the last 17 years.

I have been shaving with a straight razor for the last 5 or so years.

Why?

I have always been attracted to shiny sharp objects, mostly knives of any description. Problem with knives are that you can only use so many, and the rest are left to gather dust. Not so with razors, you can never have enough straight razors, and currently I have more than enough to shave with a different one every day of the month.

It's also a hobby/skill-set with endless possibilities. Once you master one, there are more than enough other challenges to keep you interested and engaged.

I restore my own razors, hone my own, make my own strops, and of course shave myself daily.

My favourite razors are Filarmonica 14's, with it's modern equivalent the Koraat 14-2.

Favourite shaving cream is Taylors of Old Bond Street, particular Eaton College.

Favourite brush is a Yaqui 28mm synthetic.

Favourite strop is a home-made Shell Cordovan strop that cost me way more to make than a Kanayama would have been at the time :)

Been a member of the big American shaving forum, but it's reached a point where it looks like they are following the trend of most social media, and opinions that doesn't match the moderator's seems to get silenced.

Hope to hear how things are done Down Under!

welcome @Jaco

I have also been wet shaving for around 5 years but never picked up a straight and had absolutely no intention to ever do so (out of fear) but that may change shortly.. we'll see

love my DE razors and have a nice selection of them but without doubt the Woflman WR2 and BlackBird are the kings in my Den.. I started with Yaqi synthetics and absolutely loved them until i was exposed to other synthetics. I still use one from time to time but, for me, they dont compare with the others.. if you want to know more, ask away...

also love using badgers and to a slightly lesser extent boar brushes when the mood strikes... have enough soaps to last at least 15 years and blades to last longer (yes my rabbit hole was quite big)

dont really spend much on shaving anymore, just enjoying the variety

G'Day @Jaco welcome to P&C, are you still wearing a bloody kilt ;)

giphy.gif

welcome @Jaco

I have also been wet shaving for around 5 years but never picked up a straight and had absolutely no intention to ever do so (out of fear) but that may change shortly.. we'll see

love my DE razors and have a nice selection of them but without doubt the Woflman WR2 and BlackBird are the kings in my Den.. I started with Yaqi synthetics and absolutely loved them until i was exposed to other synthetics. I still use one from time to time but, for me, they dont compare with the others.. if you want to know more, ask away...

also love using badgers and to a slightly lesser extent boar brushes when the mood strikes... have enough soaps to last at least 15 years and blades to last longer (yes my rabbit hole was quite big)

dont really spend much on shaving anymore, just enjoying the variety
I would love to hear more about your recommendations on synthetics, I don't think I will like badger. Think the practicality of synthetics outweigh the benefits of badger.

Welcome Jaco! I look forward to seeing your 14s in the Shave of the Day thread. 🙂
I admire someone that can take nice photos of razors.

I am terrible at photography of razors, and my three 14's are really user-grade. I refuse to pay more than £200 for a razor.

My best looker is actually a Fili 13 that I picked up for a bargain. Never been on a hone before I got it in my sweaty paws.

Tried to attach a photo, but I can't figure out how to attach an image. When I click on the "insert image " icon, it refers to a web link, not my files on PC.

I admire someone that can take nice photos of razors.

I am terrible at photography of razors, and my three 14's are really user-grade. I refuse to pay more than £200 for a razor.
Both mine are user grade, but I love the edges, so it doesn't bother me at all. The prices safe queens go for nowadays means I could buy three great shavers for the money :p

Tried to attach a photo, but I can't figure out how to attach an image. When I click on the "insert image " icon, it refers to a web link, not my files on PC.

No hosting here, so upload to imgur, insert the share link in the image box when it pops up, append ".jpg" to the string and boom! There it is! :)

Both mine are user grade, but I love the edges, so it doesn't bother me at all. The prices safe queens go for nowadays means I could buy three great shavers for the money :p

No hosting here, so upload to imgur, insert the share link in the image box when it pops up, append ".jpg" to the string and boom! There it is! :)
Tried to register an Imgur account, but for some reason it says: "Email sign-up is not possible in your region. Register using a third-party service"

I will try to figure it out.

I would love to hear more about your recommendations on synthetics, I don't think I will like badger. Think the practicality of synthetics outweigh the benefits of badger.

Here are my two synthetic knots that I have and absolutely love..

Pictured on the right is my 26mm G5C knot (fan knot made in Japan) which i purchased from AP Shave Co the other pictured on the left is a 24 mm Lansky HD (bulb knot) which i purchased from a store in Australia. What differs these from the yaqi synthetics is way they feel on the face when face lathering. They mimic the face feel of a natural badger brush (not quite but reasonably close), so they dont have the fake springy feeling of the yaqi giving it a more natural, luxurious feel when face lathering.

I, like you, also much preferred a synthetic to a badger when I started wet shaving but this changed once I got my first decent quality badger and learnt how to properly face lather with one. I love using both badger and synthetics equally but have to say that lathering with a nice badger is the most luxurious feeling you can get..

Does the badger make better lather? in my opinion, no.. the lather quality is the same but face feel is much nicer on the badger.... In saying that I still believe it is easier to build a lather with a good synthetic

Out of the G5C and the Lansky HD I cant really say I prefer one over the other but I do love both a lot and each do have a different feel when face lathering. If i was to get another it would probably be a lansky HD but in 28mm, just for variety

Handles for both knots were made here in Australia by our talented resident brush maker @TroyTools

52620574166_bf891363da_b.jpg

Tried to register an Imgur account, but for some reason it says: "Email sign-up is not possible in your region. Register using a third-party service"

I will try to figure it out.

I use flickr, its free for up to 1000 pics i think.. when I reach my limit i just delete a few and keep going

+1 for the Lansky HD. You can't go wrong with one of these.

Although I'm a boar bristle knot fan, synthetics now days are so good to use.