Hi from Port Stephens

wiiiildbill

Hi Everyone

Bearded wet shaver from Port Stephens NSW.

Razors are:
Merkur 34C
Rockwell 6S
Gamechanger 68
latest acquisition is The Original Phoenix DOC Safety Razor
next in my sights is the Heritage Gibbs replica

Have used a lot of different blades and have settled on Wilkinson Sword German blades as the ones that suit me best.

Brushes currently are:
RazoRock Plissoft
Yaqi Obsidian G4
Beard & Blade Chubby Progress Vulfix Silvertip
AP Shave Blue Lagoon SilkSmoke

I’m currently using Proraso Wood & Spice Shaving Cream, the next two in line to try are TOBS Oud and Phoenix Shaving Sangre De Drago Artisan Shaving Soap.

Gave up trying to get a good beard trim here and bought a Brio Beardscape to do it myself.

Thanks for accepting me in to Paste & Cut and I look forward to being part of the group.

Hi Holiday or Doc :)
I've shaved with it a couple of times, still learning the best angle, first shave was OK, second with a new Astra was not pleasant, blame the Astra (not a blade I particularly like) and the driver rather than the razor. Third shave was very nice. Not sure I like the feel of the open comb, its a tiny bit disconcerting but I'll persist with it as it's, in my mind, a thing of beauty and its different to the run of the mill razors

Hi Holiday or Doc :)
I've shaved with it a couple of times, still learning the best angle, first shave was OK, second with a new Astra was not pleasant, blame the Astra (not a blade I particularly like) and the driver rather than the razor. Third shave was very nice. Not sure I like the feel of the open comb, its a tiny bit disconcerting but I'll persist with it as it's, in my mind, a thing of beauty and its different to the run of the mill razors
Cheers @wiiiildbill I have a DOC myself it was one of those must try razors but have not used it enough to decide if its a keeper or not.
Will have to get back to it one day
Out of those you have in the den which is your favourite?

Cheers @wiiiildbill I have a DOC myself it was one of those must try razors but have not used it enough to decide if its a keeper or not.
Will have to get back to it one day
Out of those you have in the den which is your favourite?
Hi @Holiday
You should, I shaved with it again this morning using a Wilkinson Sword German blade and the shave was BBS and an absolute pleasure.
My favourite razor, well I'd say the 6S for its ability to adjust to what I need to achieve a great shave, I like the weight and size of the handle.
But when I have a shave like today the DOC is fantastic and I'll be using it as my go to for a while now as the favourite.
The 34C is a good razor at any time and the Gamechanger hasn't been used much to comment on.
Not sure which razors you have but what's your preferred one?

Hi @Holiday
You should, I shaved with it again this morning using a Wilkinson Sword German blade and the shave was BBS and an absolute pleasure.
My favourite razor, well I'd say the 6S for its ability to adjust to what I need to achieve a great shave, I like the weight and size of the handle.
But when I have a shave like today the DOC is fantastic and I'll be using it as my go to for a while now as the favourite.
The 34C is a good razor at any time and the Gamechanger hasn't been used much to comment on.
Not sure which razors you have but what's your preferred one?
Cheers @wiiiildbill I was going to say too may to list but not as bad as I thought. Pats self on the back for controlling RAD and my list needed updating anyway.
Other members will be sick of hearing this but I used the GC_84-P as baseline and all keepers had to match or exceed it for the $$
Have only listed the DE's and of these Blackbird and Nodachi are flavour of the month but I love them all

Blackland Blackbird
Gillette - Vintage - Ball end Brass Razor - Made in Canada
Gillette New LC
Gillette Slim 1966 (L1)
Gillette 7 O'clock Flat bottom Long comb
Gillette Aristocrat #15
Gillette Cased #58
Gillette Rocket HD
Hoffritz Slant
Karve CB - Brass OC-D
Karve CB - Brass SB-D
Merkur - 38C - 2 Piece - Closed Comb - Barber Pole 4"
Merkur - Progress - Long Handle
Phoenix - Bakelite - Open Comb Slant - 3 Piece - Son Of A Classic!
Phoenix - Prismatic 3 Piece- Scalloped Cap - A Modern Take On A Classic
Piccolo OC
RazoRock Baby Smooth - Electric Blue
RazoRock Game Changer 84P
RazoRock Lupo 0.95
Smart Helix Apollo Aggressive
Smart Helix Apollo Mild
Tatara Masamune Nodachi
Timeless .068 OC - Scalloped Head
Timeless .068 SB - Scalloped Head
Timeless TRBR38 Bronze Solid Bar with Scalloped Head
Wolfman WR1 OC

Hi @Holiday
Thats quite a collection, I'm in awe, but I'm not 100% sure that you have your RAD in control ;)
There a few in your list I definitely covet.
I certainly think I need to spend some time with the GC 68, I always thought I lent towards sensitive skin and aimed for mild razors, but recently using the 6S with a 4 baseplate I've been getting tremendous high quality shaves.
Finally found that bad technique will get the gentlest razor to bite, and swapping razors every couple of days wasn't helping, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!
I was going to pick up an 86 head from Samson at vshod to further explore this theory, and the impetus will be to give the 68 a good run.
Enjoy your day.

Hi @Holiday
Thats quite a collection, I'm in awe, but I'm not 100% sure that you have your RAD in control ;)
I certainly think I need to spend some time with the GC 68, I always thought I lent towards sensitive skin and aimed for mild razors, but recently using the 6S with a 4 baseplate I've been getting tremendous high quality shaves.
Finally found that bad technique will get the gentlest razor to bite, and swapping razors every couple of days wasn't helping, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!
I was going to pick up an 86 head from Samson at vshod to further explore this theory, and the impetus will be to give the 68 a good run.
Enjoy your day.
Cheers @wiiiildbill I'll be the first to admit I have too many but I can sit back and enjoy every shave because of them.
Good luck with your journey and its a good journey of discovery and epiphanies
High-Mild/Low-Agressive razors for me with mid-range blades and DFS+ is good enough although don't we all chase the BBS (DBS/GBS)

Hi @Holiday
Enjoy your day.
Sounds to me that what you might be chasing could be in that iffy category, mild but efficient. In other words, most effective stubble removal for minimum disruption of your skin. For me, that space is filled most perfectly by the Blackland Vector, followed by the Blackland Sabre and Alpha Claymore Evolution. But I also really liked the Timeless .95 with a German Wilkie, a sublime shave but just a bit too heavy for me. You might perhaps also get along with the Rocca (in which case do it with style and get the birchbark handle).