Hey There!

dnlcwn

Just thought I'd say hello to everyone here as I'm a newbie to DE Shaving.
I recently bought a cheap DE razor, a cheap brush and some Proraso cream in the tub.

Only had 2 DE shaves but they've been pretty good so far.

I just have a question, among many, I am using my cream straight out of the bowl it's in but I'm unsure weather I need a seperate bowl to remove some cream (almond size piece) for a better lather.

I've read about both ways and wasn't sure if one was right or wrong.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Daniel.

Welcome, a lot of experienced guys on here so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Whether you lather in a bowl or on your face, it's purely personal preference.

Daniel,

Firstly welcome!

When it comes to lathering it is a little each to his own and there is also some trial and error in relation to different soaps/creams, the brush you are using, the water retention of the brush and the best water to soap/cream ratio.

Did I just make that sound REALLY complicated? You get good at that after a while ;)

Basically there is no problem dipping the brush straight into the bowl of cream to load it up. Normally you soak the brush for a while beforehand and shake off excess water before loading it with cream. The aim is generally to get an almond size worth on the brush but more generally will not hurt - you might just need a little more water if it is too stiff.

After that you can either lather directly on your face or in another bowl. Up to you entirely. I face lather partly for convenience and partly because I like the feel.

Happy shaving!

Hey Daniel :)

I started out wit ha bowl because I bought a kick arse Muhle Black porcelain bowl and it looks killer.

Secondly, and more importantly, bowl lathering gave me a lot of practice and I found it easier to work out my mix of water and stuff.

Seven months later, I just dip my brush in the cream and face lather now.

I think proraso in the tub works better loading up from the tub. It's firmer than the cream and doesn't break down well being scooped out.

Hello and welcome. I find cream from a tube a bit of a pain to be honest. Always manage to get it dripping all over the place. Much easier from a tub. As Mark has said just make sure your brush is damp and load your brush directly from the tub. Nothing wrong with too much.... within reason of course. Most people new to this don't get enough product happening and can't get a lather and then blame the brush, blame the water, blame the cream and go back to canned stuff. I'm sure we can provide more confusing advise than you can handle. Just stay tuned!

I blame PJ when a shave goes wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
You too! So do I!

I don't know how he manages to cause so much chaos :mad:

I just blame PJ. He's used to it.

But he's not all bad. He likes good audio gear, and despite being a grumpier old bastard than me, thinks the Foo's are the absolute bomb. Dude.

Don't get me started! I'll just krank "White Limo" at ear splitting volumes and get really angry.

Last edited: