Hello from SSE Sydney

Hi All,

I have a minor collection of DE razors that I've accumulated over the years... Maybe a couple of dozen... from Vintage Gillette's through to more modern razors... Some are Brass, Some are Stainless, Some are plated Zamak etc. I mostly just shave with Japanese Feather Blades these days. They generally don't disappoint in terms of sharpness and as far as I'm concerned, they can't really be too sharp. I used to use Gilette Red Tips and Open Combs but actually I find a mild razor with a feather is all that's required to get the job done and I'm tough and crusty with a pretty tough stubble.

More recently I sport a well groomed goatee and I've been using a cheapish Parker Shavette to do the region below my lower lip and the inside corners of the goatee.

I just bought some new kitchen knives and I already had some Shapton Glass stones (for woodworking) - but just the 1000 and 8000... so it got me to thinking if I got a 2000 for my knives as well (since they are soft steel and don't need higher ones) then maybe I could get a 4000 as well for a straight - since that'd be a 4000 and 8000... So now I'm going down that rabbit hole. I bought the extra stones and a Naniwa 12000 stone + a cheap 8" 400/1000 diamond stone and holder so I can start to maintain straight razors.

I'm currently waiting on a Dovo Barbarossa Spanish point to arrive which should be nice for maintaining the goatee... I'm also probably getting a nice custom one made but I'll leave the details of that as a surprise for here later on.

Anyway, that's it from me.

Hey @ThumbpickerCGP - welcome aboard! :D

Nothing as satisfying as shaving off your own edge. At least that is what I tell myself when I stare at the pile of expensive rocks that have mysteriously appeared in my garage... :p
They are ridiculously expensive - why didn't I just keep using my feather stockpile and a shavette... madness huh,

Welcome aboard @ThumbpickerCGP. Also, welcome into the gentlemanly art of straight razor (SR) shaving. You may be interested in this current PIF of a shave-ready SR. As a beginner into SR shaving, the following may be of interest to you:

Finishing SR honing on a 8k stone probably won't give you the best of edges. To take the edge up to a good shave-ready standard after the 8K, you may wish to consider using lapping films:

Then for the ultimate of shaving edges, there is diamond pasted balsa:

A few things for you to note:
  • When honing SRs, forget everything you know about knife sharpening. About the only similarity with the two is that it is rubbing steel on an abrasive surface. SR honing is a different ball game.
  • Almost all SRs that you buy will not be truly shave-ready, irrespective of what the vendor tells you. The exception to this is if you buy from an experienced SR shaver who hones his own razors and many more for others.
  • It is best not to try and hone SRs on whetstones that have been used to sharpen knives.
Any questions on SR shaving, honing or stropping can be asked in the SR section of P&C. Nothing is too mundane or stupid to ask, even if it has been asked thousands of time before..

straight razor rabbit hole dweller

giphy.gif

Welcome aboard @ThumbpickerCGP. Finishing SR honing on a 8k stone probably won't give you the best of edges. To take the edge up to a good shave-ready standard after the 8K, you may wish to consider using lapping films:

Why is it that many people who get into SR shaving also like riding motorcycles? :giggle:
We like to live dangerously perhaps? lol

I did get a 12000 Naniwa Stone but my 1000 and 8000 Shapton glass stones have been used for plane blades and chisels. Hopefully given I have kept them flat it’ll be ok?