Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
... every time I close my browser and then come back to P&C.

I have checked the 'stay logged in' box but it is not working.

This all happened after I logged out to check something (should have just opened a private window I've realised)

I know that there is a fix (clear cache?) but cannot recall exactly - wisdom anyone?

Hmmm, what browser are you using? On a mobile device or desktop/laptop?

In any case, a good suggestion might be to clear your browser history of anything you don't absolutely need, then log in normally. Hopefully it should behave from there.

HTH...

I would suspect that clearing your cache, cookies, history won’t help here.

As for a solution, what browser are you using?

Duh!

should have mentioned browser

Firefox of course - is there any other worth using?

Firefox of course - is there any other worth using?
Yep. Chrome is noticeably faster. Though I prefer variants on the same code such as Chromium and Kiwi that don't call home to Google to track you...

Incidentally, I can't reproduce your problem with either Firefox or Chromium on my Linux laptop or on my android tablet.

OK, so I DID clear my history (knowing what a nuisance it is to log back into everything) which includes -
  • History
  • Browsing & download history
  • Active logins
  • Form & search history
  • Cookies
  • Cache
  • Data
  • Site settings
  • Offline web site data

Shut down browser and computer and restarted and now it seems fine.

I know that this has happened to me once before, I presume that was the fix I used then too.

Yep. Chrome is noticeably faster. Though I prefer variants on the same code such as Chromium and Kiwi that don't call home to Google to track you...

Yes, I get some ribbing for NOT using Chrome which everyone else at work seems to - but I don't want Google tracking everything and if people don't use alternatives they will simply die.

A good topic for a thread - http://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/which-browser-is-best.7515/

Not sure if it would have helped in your situation but Chrome has the agility to manage passwords at site level without clearing all browsing history and cache

Chrome > Settings > Autofill > Password Manager

Does Firefox have the equivalent for future reference?

Not sure if it would have helped in your situation but Chrome has the agility to manage passwords at site level without clearing all browsing history and cache

Chrome > Settings > Autofill > Password Manager

Does Firefox have the equivalent for future reference?

Yes, but I don't use a browser password manager, I use Lastpass.

The password and username was available with one click - but it was just not keeping me logged in

Allowing your browser to have anything to do with managing your passwords is a terrible idea.

It might not matter too much which password manager you use, so long as you use one. But as far as I'm concerned, the gold standard is KeePass.

Allowing your browser to have anything to do with managing your passwords is a terrible idea.

It might not matter too much which password manager you use, so long as you use one. But as far as I'm concerned, the gold standard is KeePass.

Could you please share the link?
There are so many keepass apps showing up on the play store.

Could you please share the link?
There are so many keepass apps showing up on the play store.
Sure, here you go. Yeah, there are others based on the same code, but I've been using this one for years and it's never missed a beat. I think it started on Windows, but there are versions available for just about every operating system, and the same database is compatible on all of them. Or you can store it in the cloud if you must, but I've never liked that idea.

I just create a blank entry at the root level with the version date in the title for verification purposes and sync the database manually between all my devices.

Why wouldn’t you just KeePass from the official site?

https://keepass.info/

Not sure I would trust a version that someone has re-coded in any way.
The original code is for Windows. Since Windows isn't really ready for serious use ;) and the code is open source, it's a fairly straightforward matter to port it to other platforms, and there's a long list of those ports on that official site. There are many (myself included) who do check source code for potential exploits, and I would definitely trust open code over something that's hidden from scrutiny.