Gaggia out...what do I get next?

Bringing an old thread back to life.
Just bought a Chemex. You know...that glass thing that needs paper filters in it.
https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/chemex-6-cup-classic-original-coffee-pour-over-unit
Only used it twice so far, and making plain old black coffee.
First cup (yesterday) was pretty strong.
Tried again this morning with less coffee and more water...ahh...that's getting better.
Not stellar, but quite drinkable. No milk in it as I'm looking at ditching some dairy from my life.
Still want my La Pavoni, but this will suffice for now.
If any of you have a good brew ratio of water to beans for Chemex use then please advise.
Thanks.
Oh yeah...you guys in Oz get ripped for price.
Cheaper in NZ, and our $$ is a tad sad at the moment.

Nice one @Blackie, nothing wrong with old-school. I used to do a lot of pourover back in the day. Some of my friends used to claim my coffee was so strong it made them hallucinate. I used to fill the cone completely with super-finely ground coffee and drip the water through ever so slowly to get maximum flavour and effect. I'm older now, and hopefully not quite so much of an idiot... :rolleyes:

I use a Hario V60 and tried a few different ratios but settled on 15g of coffee - Ethiopian Yergacheffe was my favourite - to 300 g of water. I like espresso and double-shots in my flat whites, but don't like the pour-over that strong. I also prefer a little lighter roast for coffee made this way.

Here's something weird for you, I had Covid a few weeks ago, and since I had it the idea of drinking coffee gives me a shiver of distaste. Not sure why or how long it will last, but a friend had the same thing happen and was just starting to drink coffee again 6 weeks later.

I use a Hario V60 and tried a few different ratios but settled on 15g of coffee - Ethiopian Yergacheffe was my favourite - to 300 g of water. I like espresso and double-shots in my flat whites, but don't like the pour-over that strong. I also prefer a little lighter roast for coffee made this way.

Here's something weird for you, I had Covid a few weeks ago, and since I had it the idea of drinking coffee gives me a shiver of distaste. Not sure why or how long it will last, but a friend had the same thing happen and was just starting to drink coffee again 6 weeks later.
Weird!

My tastes are similar to yours. I love strong flat whites on a darkish roast, but prefer lighter roasts and mellow brew for a filter/pour over/aeropress style. I also enjoy espresso. Long black is ok… but not my fave (almost always prefer a filter of some kind).

I'm a devoted coffee drinker, but whenever I come down with any kind of lurgy, the first thing off the menu is coffee. I remember my Mum saying the same thing.

In my callow youth, I used to favour insanely dark roasts that I would never countenance now. It's worth noting that professional "cuppers" assessing beans for any major company tend to judge the product at a light roast. I like the Coffee Snobs scale, it's a bit more specific than those silly terms like "city" or "small hamlet"... They even give you a useful little membership card (free) that you can use as a reference.

Whatever the brewing method, you tend to lose the "high notes" in your bean if the roast is too dark. On the other hand, it's often worth combining lighter and darker roasts of the same bean to get the top notes with more body from the "bass".

Bringing an old thread back to life.
Just bought a Chemex. You know...that glass thing that needs paper filters in it.
https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/chemex-6-cup-classic-original-coffee-pour-over-unit
Only used it twice so far, and making plain old black coffee.
First cup (yesterday) was pretty strong.
Tried again this morning with less coffee and more water...ahh...that's getting better.
Not stellar, but quite drinkable. No milk in it as I'm looking at ditching some dairy from my life.
Still want my La Pavoni, but this will suffice for now.
If any of you have a good brew ratio of water to beans for Chemex use then please advise.
Thanks.
Oh yeah...you guys in Oz get ripped for price.
Cheaper in NZ, and our $$ is a tad sad at the moment.
60g coffee / 1L water is the ratio I have stuck with for filter coffees since I went off espresso, and once you get the grind size right consistently makes wonderful coffee.
Recent changes to my circumstances have me considering whether to sell my ~50 year old Bezzera lever machine.
ns4BUpd.jpg

Bringing a thread back to life...I just bought one of these.
https://www.pinkselixir.co.nz/store/p22/pinks_press.html
The old Gaggia has started to dispense different amounts of coffee per shot. Set at 40ml espresso and might get 20ml, or 50ml...it varies!
So I've bought that hand powered gadget (as per @SpeedyPC idea of KISS).
Already have a nice grinder now (Eureka Manuale).
My new Pink's press will arrive this week. Then I can start to play.
The Chemex is still a work in progress. Different beans lately and a much better brew.
I only drink 2 cups a day, so I probably have too much gear just for that...but I do like a nice brew.
Haven't given any thought to how I might steam milk. Might have to just drop a splodge of cream in to the cup and not bother with steamed milk.