Favourite Shaving Gear 2023

TomG

Gentleman Shaver from WA ...
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Hi, all.
I saw this on another Forum, and thought it might be fun for us to jot down our favourite gear for the year just passed, with perhaps notes on why it grabbed you.
It may be a new discovery that impressed you, or an an old favourite that you find indispensible. I would certainly be interested in reading your thoughts.

I will kick things off with my list:

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Both products never fail to deliver. The Valobra soap is rich in tallow, glycerin and lanolin.
Myrsol emulsion is a wonder product. As well as working superbly both before and after a shave, if worse comes to worse, you can actually get a decent shave with this alone, thanks to the stearic acid, glycerin, and lanolin.

Brush: Zenith 3-band Manchurian Badger
I picked up this brush at a great price in a sale. A top quality brush in every facet - it has a very comfortable handle, enough backbone for triple-milled soaps, yet with decent splay for face lathering. The tips are very soft, and it has classic lines. I can imagine an Italian Barber using this brush at home for special occasions.

Soap: Bartigan & Stark Timberyard
Small Canadian Artisan - great soap. Lathers easily and very slick and protective; a base with both vegetable oils and tallow, plus glycerin, lanolin, and other skin-friendly goodies. The real kicker is the scent; the woods are warm and welcoming, with a refreshing herbaceous resinous quality. Very uplifting.

Razor: Blutt BR-1
I like this razor so much that I actually own two, one with the original deep-knurl handle, and another in the current configuration. I have both the 0.86mm and 1.20mm plates. The 0.86mm is perfect if shaving daily; the 1.20mm for heavier growth. However, I would be comfortable using the 1.20mm as a daily driver, with a light touch, as it is very tactile. Both plates are remarkably smooth and precise.
An understated but meticulous design that reflects its Swiss heritage.

Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum Ultra (Made in Holland)
Everything that is great about the golden era of blades. Very sharp, very smooth, effortless in cutting efficiency, and lasts for at least 10 shaves.

Wow - was this a surprise. A most unique product. Alcohol-based, but I totally get why they call it a tonic.
Very refreshing and great face feel, thanks to the witch hazel, glycerin, and neem oil.
Anise, tobacco, leather, Bay Rum, and barber’s talc are unlikely fragrance bedfellows, but it works brilliantly.
The scent performs closer to a cologne than an aftershave. I skip fragrance when I use this product, but no loss, as the scent is so good.
It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it.

Scent: Creed Original Vetiver EdP
A Creed scent that actually lives up to the hype. Clean, classy, soapy, versatile. Decent sillage and longevity.
The subtle Ambergris and Musk base notes are a perfect balance for the freshness of the citrus and warm woods.
You literally cannot go wrong with this fragrance.

For 2023,

Prep: Pears (India) transparent soap and warm water

Lather: Palmolive Regular (Italy) cream

Brush: No-brand Chinese guaranteed genuine pure best badger synthetic

Razor: Gold Dollar W59 (China) with sharp pointy toe off diamond pasted balsa

Looking forward to what 2024 brings.

For 2023,

Prep: Pears (India) transparent soap and warm water

Lather: Palmolive Regular (Italy) cream

Brush: No-brand Chinese guaranteed genuine pure best badger synthetic

Razor: Gold Dollar W59 (China) with sharp pointy toe off diamond pasted balsa

Looking forward to what 2024 brings.
@rbscebu my post is very similar and you “may” enjoy 25% @SpeedyPC recipe and 75% Wahl, soothe/smooths my BBS

@rbscebu my post is very similar and you “may” enjoy 25% @SpeedyPC recipe and 75% Wahl, soothe/smooths my BBS
@SpeedyPC I may not have been clear it is your “formula” 250 ml added to 750ml of a Wahl Bay Rum 1l bottle my son gets the 250mp “discarded” 👍
I don't know if of @SpeedyPC's recipe as I rarely read his posts. I developed my 20%/80% Dickinson's and Wahl ratio myself through trial and error.
Okay, this is my understanding of 25% @SpeedyPC plus 75% Wahl traditional barbers bay rum aftershave

1. Firstly is make a bottle of my recipe = T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5) (don't forget to shake it well).
2. Pour 25% of my @SpeedyPC recipe above as shown at number one into another empty bottle.
3. Add 75% Wahl traditional barbers bay rum into the bottle of 25% of @SpeedyPC mix and shake it well.

Last edited:
Okay, this is my understanding of 25% @SpeedyPC plus 75% Wahl traditional barbers bay rum aftershave

1. Firstly is make a bottle of my recipe = T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5) (don't forget to shake it well).
2. Pour 25% of my @SpeedyPC recipe above as shown at number one into another empty bottle.
3. Add 75% Wahl traditional barbers bay rum into the bottle of 25% of @SpeedyPC mix and shake it well.
Correct @SpeedyPC 👍 except I pour out 250mls from the 1lt bottle (my son gets that) then I add your “recipe” shake n use

Thanks for the tip, guys.
I have some Wahl kicking around, so I'll give the blend a go.

My favourite lineup hasn't changed for a while:

Pre: Hot flannel, Pears soap

Soap: Yardley

Brush: TroyCraft "Vazon Forest" with AP Shave Co G5C. Made as a dedication to Dad, and therefore very special. Also lathers like a bomb.

Razor: Atelier Durdan Vestige. This was a discovery late in 2023, and I haven't looked back. Even better, Augustin is now offering it in cupro bronze and with an "Ultra" gap (mine is the "Superior"). I don't need it at all, but I am very tempted. (Also available in copper, but I'd worry about fragility around those lather channels.)

Post: TND quickly followed by homebrew moisturiser, then La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid. Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge cologne. I love that, understated class.

Last edited:
PetuO7h.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Paladin Lava Flow Select Badger
Soap: Barrister & Mann Reserve Spice
Razor: Blutt BR-1 (1.20mm)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Barrister & Mann Reserve Spice Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Australian Private Reserve Ozymandias EdP

When dialed in, I find the Reserve base hard to beat.

Wrong thread @TomG ?

Great setup in any case (y)

Geat idea for a thread! :)

These are the things that in 2023 delighted me for the frst time.

Brush Boar. For a long time, I assumed boar was the poor cousin of badger. How wrong I was. Scrubby, luxurious lather machines; I am now a complete convert.

Razor Koraat 15/16 Sheffield. When I ordered this from Ulrik in early 2022, I wanted a half hollow. It turns out that if I had studied the pictures he helpfully posts on his site of all of his grinds, I would have realized that what he calls a "Half Hollow" is actually a quarter or near wedge. What he calls a "Sheffield Full Hollow" is what I originally envisaged. So, after shaving with it for several months, I shipped it back and he reground it for me. Now it is probably my favourite razor. The grind is just perfect in my eyes.

Post Myrsol Agua de Limón Maybe its just a summer infatuation, but I couldn't have imagined I'd like an aftershave nearly as much as Antesol. AdL is every bit as good, I'm just not sure I would use it all year round. Time will tell... Floïd Vigoroso was a close runner up. Sad to hear that it has been discontinued, but I managed to snag a couple of 400ml bottles to keep me going for a good while.

Stone Charnley Forest Phenomenal stone. A fraction of the price of a Hard Ark, yet delivers edges that are indistinguishable from one; crisp as a fresh apple. Plus, they are much more enjoyable to hone on. While the Ark is effective, the glassy surface is a little soul less, the Charnely however, purrs like a contented kitten under the steel.