DOTD! What are y'all drinking on today.

Tonight's tipple -

JBuLmT0l.jpg

Tonight, Weihenstephaner Vitus, a strong wheat bock, 7.7 ABV

2CrS6oxl.jpg
Now we are talking!

Back in the day, Bockbiere (strong beers) were usually only available at certain times of the year (basically before Easter and Christmas)...obviously that has changed and boy am I glad it did.

Nothing beats one of these + a nice sausage after midnight. Either its straight to bed or the party is about to start 😂😂😂

PXL-20221030-055626097.jpg

Today I had a bit of a treat. We took the dogs off for a run at the beach today (littlest is 1 year old today 🥳) and on the way back stopped off at Western Tiers Distillery, very recently built and by far our most local distillery. 20 minutes drive is as local as anything gets out here. This bottle has caught my eye at a few shops simply because of the name. We live right under Dry's Bluff, and I get a great view of it from my bathroom window while I'm shaving. I replaced the frosted glass window with clear glass for that reason.

Normally I have to forego tastings when I'm driving, but this time Mme G volunteered do do the honours so I could try the wares. Such a new distillery can never be expected to have mature products, but their poitín is eminently drinkable, and the gins excellent. I came away with this bottle and one of their Nell's Bluff, as I couldn't decide which I liked better. This one is lovely, a great expression of the London style but with a nice touch of Tasmanian bush pepper, among other things, and for a change comes at a good price. (Incidentally and OT, I can thoroughly recommend this bush pepper as a fragrant replacement for - or blend with - normal black pepper.)

So right now it's G&T o'clock with a slice of lime and Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic. :love:

No prizes for guessing my DOTD, with an image I prepared earlier. So much for crash test dummies. :facepalm: I won't do that again.

sQW6FYT.jpg

This is quite a different gin from your usual London or Plymouth styles, lots of resinous but fragrant character from local kunzea plus input from angelica root and native pepperberry. It takes a little getting used to, but it definitely deserves the awards it's received.

Had some friends staying over last night, figured it was time that this one saw the light of day -

vERbjS6l.jpg

Superb!

Dr Max Lake was the first of the new breed of vineyards in the Hunter Valley last century, a pioneer of the industry we know today. Read about the history of the vineyard here: https://www.lakesfolly.wine/pages/our-story