Review Blackland Blackbird SS

Nice review, @StratMan.
I have a WR2 and BB, and rate them highly. I wanted to love the Rocca, as the design is wonderful, but I just couldn't get a comfortable shave with it. Classic example of YMMV.

Could it of been blade choice? I found the BIC and Polsilver blades both excellent with the Rocca. You know how to shave so cant be lather quality. I found (still find) the Rocca to be a very smooth razor, so much so I can do two ATG passes without any issue (like i can with the BB) and this second ATG pass is what gives me a glass finish

Its amazing how YMMV works.. we both like the BB and WR2 but have differences on the Rocca

what gap is your WR2?

Could it of been blade choice? I found the BIC and Polsilver blades both excellent with the Rocca. You know how to shave so cant be lather quality. I found (still find) the Rocca to be a very smooth razor, so much so I can do two ATG passes without any issue (like i can with the BB) and this second ATG pass is what gives me a glass finish

Its amazing how YMMV works.. we both like the BB and WR2 but have differences on the Rocca

what gap is your WR2?
WR2 gap is 1.25mm.
I tried all my fav blades in the Rocca, including Polsilver and several Golden Era smooth operators, but sometimes it’s just not meant to be.

Congratulations!
I am wondering though, as I get a way closer shave with the R41 and don't rank the Blackbird SB THAT high on efficiency!

To get the efficiency of the Mühle R41, I have to use the OC plate and that one isn't smooth anymore.
I would rather compare the Blackbird SB to a Game Changer .84P SB. Which is not a slight, as it is an excellent razor. Bot are in the low to mid of medium aggression level and quite efficient for that. Seems to be the maximum for many what their skin can endure.

The Blackbird is much smoother than the Mühle R41, and also delivers a very good shave. So does the Game Changer .84. Or the Lupo .95 OC. OC, for some reason I don't like the Lupo SB as much.
I seem to like the Wolfman clone razors a lot, the Yaqi WR2 clone is also a very good razor.

I rather take the Timeless Slim OC, but this is often seen as too aggressive and harsh by many. As is the Blackbird OC. Many refer to "the Blackbird" exclusively meaning the SB version, the somewhat pointy and more aggressive OC is often found on sales forums.

Just a bit surprised that the Blackbird always generates so much love! No offense intended, the love for the Blackbird exceeds its efficiency by far.

Deviating somewhat from the BB:
Blackland supposedly will re-release the DART, which is, unlike the Bird, a steep angle shaver. I would love to hear from people who own both a Blackbird and a Dart.

Because the few comparisons I have are rather questionable.
Blackbird SB: Shaves like a Rocca
Rocca: Dart and Rocca are equal
Dart: Shaves like a R41.

So, Blackbird, Dart and R41 shave alike? :jimlad:o_O
Nooo, not really. Not at all. At least for R41 and Blackbird I can say that. And that's why I don't watch Shaving Youtubers much anymore.
But then, I don't have to deal with pissed off subscribers! :)
I’ve got GC84 SB and find it but aggressive. I’ve created a post asking if DS Cosmetic D8, a GC .68 clone which is bit more efficient but smooth (a claim I saw I some Forrum) can be another option. @SpeedyPC suggested to let go Chinese product and get Blackbird. I’ve seen posts like yours about Blackbird and I’m but apprehensive of spending that much money and getting stuck with an expensive razor I don’t appreciate.

I’ve got GC84 SB and find it but aggressive. I’ve created a post asking if DS Cosmetic D8, a GC .68 clone which is bit more efficient but smooth (a claim I saw I some Forrum) can be another option. @SpeedyPC suggested to let go Chinese product and get Blackbird. I’ve seen posts like yours about Blackbird and I’m but apprehensive of spending that much money and getting stuck with an expensive razor I don’t appreciate.

What blade are you using in the GC84 SB?
I feel like the "aggression" on the Game Changer .84 comes from the blade gap if memory serves me rightly. I know the lupo .72 was a bit like that for me. The .58 lupo was pretty excellent to me whilst the Game Changer .68 was probably a little too mild but I have not used it in a long time.

The Blackbird is efficient but can be smooth. The blade gap is much smaller too. Have you also considered a Blackbird lite. The resale value on these would be quite good if you didn't like it.
At this point I would work with what you have and try a more mild blade in your Game Changer, start with the most mild blade you have and work upwards if need be. You could also try adjusting the angle of your razor. I feel like a steep angle would do well on a razor with a big gap at least in my experience.

What blade are you using in the GC84 SB?
I feel like the "aggression" on the Game Changer .84 comes from the blade gap if memory serves me rightly. I know the lupo .72 was a bit like that for me. The .58 lupo was pretty excellent to me whilst the Game Changer .68 was probably a little too mild but I have not used it in a long time.

The Blackbird is efficient but can be smooth. The blade gap is much smaller too. Have you also considered a Blackbird lite. The resale value on these would be quite good if you didn't like it.
At this point I would work with what you have and try a more mild blade in your Game Changer, start with the most mild blade you have and work upwards if need be. You could also try adjusting the angle of your razor. I feel like a steep angle would do well on a razor with a big gap at least in my experience.
I’ve tried three blades.
- BIC Chrome. My favourite. It works for me in almost all razors
- Gillette Nacet
- Lab Blues comfort coated

Today I shaved with it again and used BIC blade and using the cap for shallow angle. A few nicks. A whole patch of red. I rarely got nicks before GC.
May be its not for me.

I’ve tried three blades.
- Gillette Nacet

Today I shaved with it again and used BIC blade and using the cap for shallow angle. A few nicks. A whole patch of red. I rarely got nicks before GC.
May be its not for me.
If we were in the same state I'd lend you mine at next meet up because everyone's experiences are so different. I'm similar to TomG in that I did not get on with the Rocca but we differ in preference with Blutt and Masamune
I think the Blackbird may be more efficient than GC_84-P but the smaller blade gap makes it so much smoother.
Personally I find the Lupo 95 to be slightly better than GC_84-P but still more irritation than the Blackbird if you dont adjust the angle for neck etc.

I never had a game changer .68, only the .84 in JAWS, OC and "P", the solid bar option.

So what can I say, maybe the Blackbird is indeed the right choice for you.

I hope the polished and machined versions are still available. Recently the "Brassbird" was brought back, but with my last favorite finish, satin. Which IMO usually rather means matte.

I will be testing the Yaqi Harlequin (presumably a Goodwill clone) next and the Yaqi Ultima. Because I didn't get the Final Cut Chrome or the bronze version it is based on, which supposedly is based on a Gibbs design.

Lots of words, but I just have to admit I don't know a milder but similar alternative to the GC .84. I had the DSCOSMETIC X1 or X2 which is supposedly based on the .68 and found it just by far too mild and inefficient for my liking.

The Blackbird, I suggest taking not the mild version but the normal one with a SB. The OC dials up quite a fair bit.

While I often might give the impression that I detest or don't recommend the Blackbird, that's not the case. It is a very nice razor, just not my personal Nonplusultra, as it seems to be the case for many. I rather prefer the Timeless Slim OC and other razors, the one I just mentioned is for sure not for everyone, it scratches my itch to be capable to recently kill any minor or imagined stubble I can find/feel. 😀

As for Chinese WR2 clones, the are oodles by now. The Yaqi 1.5 OC is the latest, I don't have that one yet. Only the SB version.

Despite the huge gap it's mild, could use some more exposure, as does the Boti 1.15 WR2 clone offer. There is also a clone from DSCOSMETIC called the AX, but this one seems to have some issues, like blades getting stuck in the head.

While I love the way the WR2 clones shave steep I didn't get a truly efficient one yet.

I am sorry to be a few days late and that I am probably not helping. But hope sharing my thoughts can help you form an opinion and to come to a decision.

I never had a game changer .68, only the .84 in JAWS, OC and "P", the solid bar option.

So what can I say, maybe the Blackbird is indeed the right choice for you.

I hope the polished and machined versions are still available. Recently the "Brassbird" was brought back, but with my last favorite finish, satin. Which IMO usually rather means matte.

I will be testing the Yaqi Harlequin (presumably a Goodwill clone) next and the Yaqi Ultima. Because I didn't get the Final Cut Chrome or the bronze version it is based on, which supposedly is based on a Gibbs design.

Lots of words, but I just have to admit I don't know a milder but similar alternative to the GC .84. I had the DSCOSMETIC X1 or X2 which is supposedly based on the .68 and found it just by far too mild and inefficient for my liking.

The Blackbird, I suggest taking not the mild version but the normal one with a SB. The OC dials up quite a fair bit.

While I often might give the impression that I detest or don't recommend the Blackbird, that's not the case. It is a very nice razor, just not my personal Nonplusultra, as it seems to be the case for many. I rather prefer the Timeless Slim OC and other razors, the one I just mentioned is for sure not for everyone, it scratches my itch to be capable to recently kill any minor or imagined stubble I can find/feel. 😀

As for Chinese WR2 clones, the are oodles by now. The Yaqi 1.5 OC is the latest, I don't have that one yet. Only the SB version.

Despite the huge gap it's mild, could use some more exposure, as does the Boti 1.15 WR2 clone offer. There is also a clone from DSCOSMETIC called the AX, but this one seems to have some issues, like blades getting stuck in the head.

While I love the way the WR2 clones shave steep I didn't get a truly efficient one yet.

I am sorry to be a few days late and that I am probably not helping. But hope sharing my thoughts can help you form an opinion and to come to a decision.

After varied opinions about Chinese SS heads, I decided not to get them but rather something better in terms of efficiency and better make. I'm evaluating Blackbird, Timeless (though I do not like their looks), and Karve.

I am in your boat and like to test things. I ordered a Yaqi Flipside head to try when I ordered a Yaqi brush from Style&Swagger. This head has OC on one side and SB on the other. OC is mild side and SB comparatively aggressive. From limited experience of the few shaves, I find this head quite good. That makes it an excellent choice when you have to switch mildness for different areas of the face or neck; you just have to use the other side.

After varied opinions about Chinese SS heads, I decided not to get them but rather something better in terms of efficiency and better make. I'm evaluating Blackbird, Timeless (though I do not like their looks), and Karve.

I am in your boat and like to test things. I ordered a Yaqi Flipside head to try when I ordered a Yaqi brush from Style&Swagger. This head has OC on one side and SB on the other. OC is mild side and SB comparatively aggressive. From limited experience of the few shaves, I find this head quite good. That makes it an excellent choice when you have to switch mildness for different areas of the face or neck; you just have to use the other side.

The side view head looks like a DE89/R89 and I cannot comment about the shaves, however, may not be my choice at the moment as YMMV.

The side view head looks like a DE89/R89 and I cannot comment about the shaves, however, may not be my choice at the moment as YMMV.
Yes, it looks like DE89, but it is more efficient and a bit more aggressive but still comfortable. Yep, I am not sure either if in the long run its a keeper. But it was only $13 so what to lose really.

I’ve tried three blades.
- Gillette Nacet

May be its not for me.
All blades I'd avoid in the GC.

Give some of these a try if you have them, and I'll fling you a few tucks to try if you don't.
Euromax, Supermax Blue Diamond, Rapira Platinum Lux, Gillette Sharpedge and Derby Usta's

:cry: The GC is one of the few razors I've retained since starting wet shaving in 2020, sorry you didn't get along with it
Yea, I know. A lot of people like GC a lot. I don't consider myself an expert in DE shaving, but I have been DE shaving for a few years now. GC was one of the few razors, no matter how I used it with different blades and angles, it gave me nicks and irritation. So I decided to return it. There are so many options in the razors now that we shouldn't be fitting ourselves to razors instead, razors should fit our needs.

Yea, I know. A lot of people like GC a lot. I don't consider myself an expert in DE shaving, but I have been DE shaving for a few years now. GC was one of the few razors, no matter how I used it with different blades and angles, it gave me nicks and irritation. So I decided to return it. There are so many options in the razors now that we shouldn't be fitting ourselves to razors instead, razors should fit our needs.

might of been a dud razor with alignment issues? I used the GC once and found it extremely smooth but not efficient enough to retain. But like you said no point trying to make something work when there are so many choices out there

its been nearly a year since Ive owned this razor and for me the BlackBird SS SB is still the #1 razor in my den, nothing beats its smoothness especially considering how efficient it really is. Somehow it single handedly cured RAD and also SAD and BAD