Best camera to take to Europe in September

It isn't, but the thing hasn't been used for a year as it is. I'm not into photography at all, wifebert bought that camera and hasn't bothered to learn how to use it so it's gathering dust.

Oh dear :(

Yeah, I knew it would be a folly purchase from the moment age started talking about it but she insisted.
At least I managed to get one off Kogan instead of paying the full Aussie price.

OK well @Mark1966 that 'bump' functionality as known as NFC. It only came in with the MkII onwards of the Sony RX100. No drama as the MkII is still in your price range. Having said that there is also the option of a wi-fi connection. Most modern cameras have one otherwise most accept the Eye-Fi cards which make it possible.

So you can see the official blurb and specs on the RX100MkII here. You can still get them new for $600-650. Otherwise used they hover around the $350-500 mark. A very capable and well-regarded camera. Most useful place to read reviews is here and here.
So you get the 1: sensor, 20MP, 28-100mm lens that starts at f1.8!!! Tilt screen. And if you want a viewfinder then one can be attached.

Another option in this class with almost the same specs (but a little better IMHO) is the Canon G7x - there's actually one listed on eBay as we speak for a BIN of $500. Review of the G7x here. The Canon has a faster lens on the long end with f1.8-2.8 vs the Sony with F1.8 - F4.9. That's a hell of difference! If it were me, the Canon is a more compelling choice. Just the Sony's are more popular so more on the used market.

Finally in the fixed zoom lens segment this is also the Fuji X20 or X30 too. But that might be a bit quirky.

I mean these 1" sensor cameras were designed with your all-round travel purpose in mind. Up from there is the likes of the Canon G1X. The MkI can be had for well under $500, the newer blow your brains out MkII is over $500. These have a sensor a similar size to the 600d.

Another camera that has rocked this niche is the Panasonic Lumix LX-100. If I were in the market for this line of enthusiast zoom compact, this is where I'd aim. Nice and small, has a responsive (well-refreshed viewfinder), fast lens, and got controls where you want them, etc.

What always helps is round-ups like this to see what's in your niche.

BTW: @eggbert , folks will still buy the 600d, but you'll not get much. Sorry but the entry level xxxD prices drop a lot and a lot quicker than the prosumer xxD models and the pro xD models. Unfortunately, buying from Kogan makes it a grey import which will affect the resale. I know it's out of warranty anyway, but the market is funny about grey...

I have one of the early Sony RX100's and it's fantastic for a compact camera. Bought it specifically for an OS trip just like you are planning.

BUT, I bought it before getting into the iPhone scene and if I had to do it again I wouldn't bother with a compact camera.

Smart phone cameras are getting so good that for most purposes there is little to choose between a compact camera image and that of your iPhone and it's an extra thing to carry around and insure.

A dSLR is another story altogether but again only if the holiday is specifically for photographic purposes vs good snapshots for your memory collection.

LOL - so 'Maybe $500 ish, maybe $200 ish? will $500 be twice as good as $200?' has become:

Sony RX100 II - $600-650 new
Canon G7x - $700+
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 - $800+

Do I want fries with that too? :)

[yes I know that they are available cheaper second hand and/or grey market but I'm an old fashioned guy who wants a warranty for 12 months!]

Nikon 1 AW1 is my recommendation for consideration.
Mirrorless, resistant to a lot of issues that plague electronics and has exchangable lenses.
FT1 adaptor allows you to use F swries Nikon lenses as well.

LOL - so 'Maybe $500 ish, maybe $200 ish? will $500 be twice as good as $200?' has become:

Canon G7x - $700+

Do I want fries with that too? :)

[yes I know that they are available cheaper second hand and/or grey market but I'm an old fashioned guy who wants a warranty for 12 months!]

Fine you want to pay local retail?
EOS-M kit, with lens and flash - $449
Nikon 1 J4 w/- 10-30mm - $499
Olympus EPM2 w/- 14-42mm - $299
All at Teds where they pride themselves on ripping you off royally.

If you go to a decent store you can have the likes of:
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GF7 Single Lens Kit with 12-32mm - $499.00

Always bargains to be had at Ryda. A sample in the sub-$500 is Nikon J1 twin lens kit (that's like 28-300mm) - $299. Some of these are "refurbished", which is their way of saying seconds. I have bought a few refurbs and they are damaged or open boxes. Contents were fine, but some OCD sufferers might freak. These come will full manufacturers warranty. Also there's always Ryda discount codes floating around - usually 10% on purchases over $150 and the suchlike.

Anyway, so if you want new and local it can be done. I'd just recommend not buying from big stores like Hardly Normal, JayB, etc., nor the likes of Teds - unless you screw them for a price-match, which I have often done (online answer within 24 hrs). But Mark, and I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT buy anything retail from Canberra. It is all a complete joke...and t's on you (the customer)!

BTW: for those who can deign to buy used. eBay is for chumps and Gumtree not much better - but we knew that. Better are forum listings - like our own BST. My fave is the OCAU Photography folders. Only issue is you need to be a member for x months with x posts, etc., but it is well worth it! e.g., Sony RX100ii bundle* went for $360 and even my little favourite traveller the Fuji X100s with accessories will go for between $550-600 - currently under negotiation!
NB: links will not work for non-members

*bundle included:
- Sony DSC-RX100 MkII
- Sony 32GB UHS-1/Class 10/94MB/s SD Card
- Imitation Sony RX100 Leather Case and Neck Strap
- 2x Sony NP-BX1, with included battery charging block
- Includes manuals, original accessories and packaging

Last edited:
This guy is impressive - an answer for everything!

The second hand bundle is a bit of a tease (I would have coughed up that much on second hand and taken a punt) but overall what a top bloke @stillshunter is!

Some sort of Sony on massdrop as well...

This one went so quick today on OCAU...

Looking to sell a RX100 mk 3.

Bought it for an overseas trip, which got cancelled. Have taken less than 100 photos since I bought it so I've decided to sell it. It is in mint condition, comes with a grip and screen protector installed.

See photos here in the original thread: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...ighlight=rx100

Res:$550
Instant: $600

Still under warranty (the seller passed me his original invoice). Will post at buyer's cost.

Thanks

Last edited:
This one went so quick today on OCAU...

I just get the message 'you do not have permission to access this page' - you need 90 days onboard before you can even SEE the threads.

I will have gone and come back by then ...

Why isn't anything easy ?

I just get the message 'you do not have permission to access this page' - you need 90 days onboard before you can even SEE the threads.

I will have gone and come back by then ...

Why isn't anything easy ?
Because all these things involve people.

Oh hey all. It's funny how quickly a 34 post thread can pop up...

Yes, the camera I settled on is expensive (nearly $1200). But it's awesome.

The close second choice was the Panasonic LX 100. Seriously good camera.

I ended with the Sony because it's a little smaller, and has a completely new type of sensor that does some pretty cool stuff (1000fps video anyone?).

There is a huge difference between these cameras and the iPhone camera, and it comes down to low light capability. Any camera can take a decent shot in full sunlight. But it's when the light drops that cameras start separating themselves out.

The Sony is actually comparable in image quality to a SLR because it is super fast (f1.8) and also has a very good optical image stabilization system. So even though the sensor is much smaller than a SLR and has about a 3 stop penalty in ISO, you can shoot 3 stops faster because of the stabilization and fast aperture. So it kinda balances out. (In other words, even though it is grainier than SLR at same ISO, you can have a slower shutter speed and wider aperture and hence lower ISO and so it balances out).

I've travelled with my SLR before. And have travelled with just iPhone before. I think this will be the best of both worlds, as I can genuinely fit this camera in my jacket pocket no worries.

UPDATE:
I should mention that if you read the reviews, one of the things they say is that the menu layout is daunting and complicated. This is very true. If you're intimidated by that sort of thing, then maybe go with a more user friendly camera... But if you're a techy geek like me who loves the challenge of learning a new piece of kit, then go for it :)

Last edited:
Well yes @MrT and I think you are to 'blame'!

Looking at the specs ( I know, I know @stillshunter ) there seems little that interests me between this is a II (see here) and that might be more in my price range ...

So since the special deals in the OCAU threads are still hidden I'm back to -

Canon G7x - $700+

probably down to the first two for me (nice comparison here)

around and around we go, where Mark1966 stops nobody knows!

BTW @MrT don't forget to claim your GST back under the TRS.

Last edited:
Yep. Thanks mate. Got my tax invoice all ready!

When r u going overseas, and to where?

Yep. Thanks mate. Got my tax invoice all ready!

When r u going overseas, and to where?

September 12 - 24

CBR - SYD - LHR (via DXB)
2 nights there

Eurostar to Brussels
2 nights there

Train through Brussels and Germany to CPH
5 nights there (inc conference for me)

CPH - LHR - SYD (via DXB) - CBR

with my wife and sans enfants!

Am I keen? Oh yeah :)

How about you?

LOL - this is why some Aussie e-tailers will not cut the muster -

Ships within 40 days - wow, that is helpful ...