2023 Shaving Acquisitions Thread

It wasn't that bad. The seller threw in a Yellow Lake as well, so it was more than reasonable. Plus, living down here, you become resigned to accepting that getting anything down here is going to sting a bit... :p
That’s the truth. Nice they threw in the yellow lake. You might even like it more than the charn. That being said the Charley is a looker.

Today's delivery which I'm quite excited about.

I'm unable to find an exact match via MrRazor but looks like a 50's aristocrat rhodium.

This razor is completely unused, there is some minor pitting on the doors, but it is ~70 years old and in immaculate condition.

I had to do some convincing to get the lady to post it but I got it.

I'm very excited to add it to the vintage Gillette collection

aYgorAW.jpg

Today's delivery which I'm quite excited about.

I'm unable to find an exact match via MrRazor but looks like a 50's aristocrat rhodium.

This razor is completely unused, there is some minor pitting on the doors, but it is ~70 years old and in immaculate condition.

I had to do some convincing to get the lady to post it but I got it.

I'm very excited to add it to the vintage Gillette collection

One of these just in the wrong case -

1958%20(D2%20on%20blade)%20No66.JPG

53394792175_fb4caf501f_c.jpg

With the cost of living, I’m pretty much done with shaving acquisitions for now. I might get a cheap Omega boar to compare with my Zenith and Semogue. Maybe a full size tub of Midnight Special if it’s any good. I have enough soaps, brushes and blades to last another 5 years. My Karve CB and Overlander have totally killed the RAD.

What are some the things you will be cutting back on?

For me:
1. Eating lunches outside. Chicken breast is still only $10/kg at Coles. Will be making chicken and rice for lunch every day.

2. Takeaway coffee. Will be getting coffee beans from Merlo and making at home instead.

53394792175_fb4caf501f_c.jpg

With the cost of living, I’m pretty much done with shaving acquisitions for now. I might get a cheap Omega boar to compare with my Zenith and Semogue. Maybe a full size tub of Midnight Special if it’s any good. I have enough soaps, brushes and blades to last another 5 years. My Karve CB and Overlander have totally killed the RAD.

What are some the things you will be cutting back on?

For me:
1. Eating lunches outside. Chicken breast is still only $10/kg at Coles. Will be making chicken and rice for lunch every day.

2. Takeaway coffee. Will be getting coffee beans from Merlo and making at home instead.
The cost of living is always going through the roof no matter what platitudes or outright lies the government or the Reserve Bank choose to peddle. So the choice is whether or not to indulge temptation.

For my part, I may be done with buying brushes unless or until inspiration for a nice handle design strikes. But I wouldn't want @TroyTools to feel unwanted and unloved... :unsure:

And I'm happy with my razors for now; having both Vector and a Vestige, I have two grail razors, plus the others... though I may yet succumb to the siren song of an Aristocrat, just because I love the look of it. Or just because.

I really do have enough soaps to last me well into my mid or late 70s. One thing I do know is that I won't be buying any more DRH Windsor for a while. Not because I've fallen out of love with it, but I should really have brought more than the one stick with me on this trip. My bad. Live and learn... :rolleyes: :facepalm:

Coffee will stay the same. Premium varietal green beans from Coffee Snobs, roasted and ground at home. (y)

Last edited:
The cost of living is always going through the roof no matter what platitudes or outright lies the government or the Reserve Bank choose to peddle. So the choice is whether or not to indulge temptation.

For my part, I may be done with buying brushes unless or until inspiration for a nice handle design strikes. But I wouldn't want @TroyTools to feel unwanted and unloved... :unsure:

And I'm happy with my razors for now; having both Vector and a Vestige, I have two grail razors, plus the others... though I may yet succumb to the siren song of an Aristocrat, just because I love the look of it. Or just because.

I really do have enough soaps to last me well into my mid or late 70s. One thing I do know is that I won't be buying any more DRH Windsor for a while. Not because I've fallen out of love with it, but I should really have brought more than the one stick with me on this trip. My bad. Live and learn... :rolleyes: :facepalm:

Coffee will stay the same. Premium varietal green beans from Coffee Snobs, roasted and ground at home. (y)

Absolutely agree.
I would like to go on a huge rant myself but I would most definitely start raging. You have put it well enough as it is. The cost of living has gone up and many people up the top are just getting richer and making record profits. Meanwhile our dollar value goes through the floor.

I'd like to buy a few brushes from @TroyTools some day but I am terrible at deciding what I would like. I haven't found my magical knot yet and would like to have a nice custom brush with a good knot and not something that I won't bother using so I am terrible at deciding but I am hoping next year is my year to get all my ducks in a row.

I have to admire the fact that you have largely stuck to a very small rotations of razors for many years now and in more recent times have ventured out to buy the Vestige in and have managed to strike at gold twice on grail razors.
The Aristocrat is a pretty sweet looking razor and I don't think anyone could blame you for chasing one.

You had inspired me to buy a few D.R. Harris soaps that I had always wanted and I should have specifically credited you for the D.R. Harris Lavender soap. It was right up my alley as far as Lavender scents go and of course the soap base was fantastic. I did also at long last pick up a Windsor soap to go with the after shave and matching lotion as well as another puck of Sandalwood. I will definitely be adding some more D.R. Harris soaps to the collection next year if possible but I have to say the Black Friday sales certainly helped too.
Oh well, I guess you'll know for next time. We are so spoiled by choice these days and its nice to rotate what we have when we can.

If the timing was right I probably would have bought a Blackland Sabre too but I can't at this point and shouldn't. I can only hope the new redesign does not take some backwards steps like the Vector did upon tweaking it because it already seems like the best Modern GEM style razor out as it is but that's just my opinion.

Received these three 125g tubes of VI-John shaving cream from a good friend in Malaysia this morning's mail.
dvh0efw.jpg

VI-John shaving cream is a very popular shaving cream in south and south-east Asia. It is available on eBay but at a ridiculous high price. It sells for just a few dollars in S & SE Asia.
and 75 cents in India!

Still the cheapest best way to enjoy a good coffee and you get free cotton bags to use for other things e.g shoe bags, etc.

Me I’m only buying a few straight razors every now and then. I have plenty of brushes, soap and aftershave. I’m only getting the razors because I like restoring them and at less than $50 they are not too expensive.

These days I only eat out for a special occasion.

...If the timing was right I probably would have bought a Blackland Sabre too but I can't at this point and shouldn't. I can only hope the new redesign does not take some backwards steps like the Vector did upon tweaking it because it already seems like the best Modern GEM style razor out as it is but that's just my opinion.
Given a binary choice between the Vestige and the Sabre, the Vestige wins easily. That said, I'm looking forward to taking up my sword again. I hope Blackland don't fuck up their redesign.

@Ebonysw45; MY mum taught me years ago not to say this; My want My want, but seeing this!!
My latest was a1956-59 mug (2 in total now) with the 5oz soap puck, NOS, fully boxed etc with paperwork, BUT this, is the next level :giggle: :giggle:
Hey I think i was going to bid on that one. I don't feel bad about missing that one now. Grabbed both from the same seller.