My SR makes a come back.

Dale.Whiley

2017 Sabbatical
Townsville - postcode is one digit off heaven
After a recent purchase from Mark 1966:

Mark1966 said:
If you want new I have a spare Simpson Berkeley and a lightly used EJ DE89 in Barley Chrome available.​

I have been pleasantly DE'ing every day. Great razor and a hard working brush (takes more effort than my EJ brush but after a few days getting the feel for the brush the resulting lather is far superior). I spent 2-3 weeks of having my SR sitting on the window ledge watching me enjoy my shaves with another razor and commenting to my wife I might change to the DE full time. I got my trusty Dovo down this morning. After my time with the DE89 I found my technique and angles/lines with the SR have improved. After almost being lured by the silky touch of the EJ DE89, I have realised that there can be no feeling of satisfaction that beats the challenge of attempting to master the SR. Gotta admit though, DE razors give an enjoyable and close shave.

Thanks Mark for the razor and brush. Both were very well presented (original boxes) with 2 x packs of sample blades. Any buyers (from my experience) will definitely not be disappointed with Mark's knowledge, advice or service.

Dale.

Over the past week I've done a hunt around 8-10 second hand stores (sorry: recycling stores to be politically correct/green) and I came across no straights. No DE razors for that matter. Most stores said they never get razors in stock, one telling me that as they had a sharp blade they were probably not allowed to sell them due to terrorism laws (unless the blade was removed of course) and a couple said due to health regulations they probably could not sell used razors. All in all, no straights or DE's out there.

To the main point:

Daily use of a straight is something I know that other men on this forum look forward to but we continually hear of SOTD and new purchases/trades with respect to DE's. Do we straight users usually stay with one razor due to costs associated with these fine tools of the trade and stay with one soap because we don't waver from the path we have chosen?

How do we, as straight men, see/promote more posts about straights? I am a bit of a minimalist by nature (read tight/cheap) due to lack of funds and only have one straight and one DE. Let's hear the voice of straight men on this site put forward some ideas on promoting the art of straight razor shaving. I have no personal thoughts preconceived ideas but throw this open to our members to shape this idea. This whole exercise may come to nothing but we'll just stay members of a silent minority. To read "regular" posts on straights/strops/hones/pastes etc will increase our P&C brand and readability.

Any thoughts on increasing our love/knowledge of this art? We may have a budding collector in our midst who will eventually open his own straights museum (similar to @Mark1966 - DE blokes can't have all the fun).

Dale.

I think the low proportion of straight users on here, is pretty much reflective of the niche within a niche that straight shaving is. That's why SR forums exist, but there's only one of two of them. Let's be honest, it's a fucking nightmare to learn and maintain them, and you really wanna want to do it. Most men can't be fucked buying a decent brush and cream and taking more than 2 minutes on a shave. That's the reality of it.

For me it took months to get to the point where my straight shaves are closer and more gentle than a DE.

Unfortunately they never got as fast as my DE shaving and so before work I choose a DE over a straight. Sometimes canned goop.

Most men can't be fucked buying a decent brush and cream and taking more than 2 minutes on a shave. That's the reality of it.<br/>

Come on @Drubbing. Men love quality tools and mastering their use. Men have always built, conquered and mastered. Straights shaving is more than a skill; it's an art. Yes it takes months, a lot of cuts and a lot of, "I'll never get this - I'm going to switch to DE's". But blokes that are members here love this art. I'm by no means an expert, but I want to learn this art and somehow encourage the promotion of this skill.

As put by a guy at work that I assembled a very basic kit to trial DE/wet shaving over the holiday period, his partner asked him if he could be fucked going to the effort of learning it/taking the extra required time required.
He said no, the kit returned unopened.

Perhaps a loan of straights between members would be of interest ?

I guess we just remain in the silent minority, holding on to the "secret" of a better way. There is just that satisfaction in knowing you can perform a difficult & challenging task that others will not even attempt. It's a shame, but I look forward to further thoughts and suggestions to assist and encourage others who would like to travel this fulfilling path.

I'll repeat: I'm not the guru as @Mark1966 is to DE shaving, but there must be a way to increase posts on our site.

Dale.

Free beer. And pictures of naked wimmin.
What of the wimmin folk that are silent members here ?
trying to scare them away ?

Personal statistic mate ?
Jeez dude, and they call me a dairy farmer with the hours I keep - but at least I sleep. Last post on this page @3:41am and this one at @6:30am you on night-shift mate....or did you have a really big Friday night?

Only saw this thread last night - glad you liked the EJ89 and the Berkeley @Dale.Whiley - thanks for the kind words.

I have a few DEs but I'm not an expert on their use and there are others around here who wield them at least as well if not better. Some even manage them AND a straight :)

I'm focussing on 'mastering' photography again now until I go back to studying to 'master' law - so no straights for me!

I'm personally lost with the SOTD post's to be honest, I've had the mostly same shave for the last 6 or so months, been through a couple of razors and now just have the Mekur Futur in my rotation and recently tried a shavette, decided I didn't like that so got a real straight, which i enjoy using however I don't use it very well well, so if I have something important I need to look my best for I'll use the Futur on a setting between 4-6 (depends what part of the face is being attacked) and the straight just for a 'because I need to' shave.

Soaps and brush have remained mostly unchanged for this whole time, starting with Poraso white and with is getting very low I've got a tub of green I swap between. Trying samples here and there and I recently picked up a alibaba special badger brush which I alternate with my Mark1966 vintage special to give each a chance to dry out.

So in summary - if you want to partake in SOTD, take a good photo of your setup, and post the same photo each day you shave, shame those with 'RAD' for spending so much money on razors ;)

It's true. I had the same SOTD for 3 months at a time and I was happy those days. Since my bout of SAD I've had more product than I can shake a stick at. Though I've settled on some solid performers now so it's all been worthwhile.

Taking up wet shaving to save money is a joke unless your super disciplined and have never heard the word 'forum'

Super disciplined Drubbing super disciplined!

I heard that...
Finally get batteries for dem hearing aids ?

Be interesting to see who participates in this years P&C TB.
No doubt a lot of new stuff in there for folks to try who have participated before :)

After being busy the last 3 nights I have skipped my evening straight shave. Lessworkload this evening and my wife didn't finish work till 8.45pm so I had time.

Soap: JGS TMBR
Brush: Simpson Berkeley
Razor: Dovo SS 5/8
A/S: Booster Oriental Spice

When there are no distractions, just a man and his straight, what could be better. Absolute peace. Yeah I know we have to shave in the mornings each day for appearance at work but the absolute serenity of evening shaves is hard to beat. A great way to finish each day.