Weekly Razor Review

Carbon Shaving Cx-316L/Ti (Titanium Handle) – Original Plate (USA)

Last year Carbon Shaving released a version of their Cx model with a titanium handle so I bought one. It is pleasing to advise that the quality of fit and finish on this titanium handled Cx-316L/Ti is about 500 times better than the original Cx I received; there are not many complaints but the underside of the cap displays machine marks that have been polished over; I’d prefer to see machine marks than a half hearted attempt to camouflage them. In Carbon’s head designed there is no excess metal and with this minimalist approach, the Cx-316L/Ti with the titanium handle weighs in at a remarkable 67g. The balance and feel of the razor is certainly good and that titanium handle is visually striking. Four large triangular lather slots are a feature of the plate and are machined so that you can see across the flats straight through the lather slots on the opposite side. Positive blade clamping is provided on the large clamping surfaces at the edge of the cap and these mate with equally large flats on the plate; a very robust design.

Carbon now produce three different plates for their Cx and this one is the mildest plate, known as the Original Base Plate. Immediately obvious when the razor is loaded and ready to perform is the light weight of the package and moving on from reviewing some heavy weight razors made the weight difference appear more noticeable. After a couple of strokes with the Cx-316L/Ti, I was attuned to the light weight of the package and it was not a factor. There is a realistic amount of blade feel present and with an efficiency around that of a Karve CB Level #C, a very close shave resulted. I appreciated the way the razor just glided over the face for a super smooth shave. Initially the grip on the handle wasn’t positive but in a strange twist, when the handle was run under water the grip improved. This is one very pleasant razor to use and to Carbon’s credit their quality of production has markedly improved.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Gillette 7’Oclock Yellow
Material – 316L Stainless steel/ Titanium (6AL-4V ELI) handle
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 67g
Head Width – 40.66mm
Handle Length – 91.7mm
Handle Diameter – 12.64mm
Availability – Carbon Shaving
Final Word – Thoroughly enjoyable

Carbon Shaving Cx-316L/Ti (Titanium Handle) – Original Plate (USA)

Last year Carbon Shaving released a version of their Cx model with a titanium handle so I bought one. It is pleasing to advise that the quality of fit and finish on this titanium handled Cx-316L/Ti is about 500 times better than the original Cx I received; there are not many complaints but the underside of the cap displays machine marks that have been polished over; I’d prefer to see machine marks than a half hearted attempt to camouflage them. In Carbon’s head designed there is no excess metal and with this minimalist approach, the Cx-316L/Ti with the titanium handle weighs in at a remarkable 67g. The balance and feel of the razor is certainly good and that titanium handle is visually striking. Four large triangular lather slots are a feature of the plate and are machined so that you can see across the flats straight through the lather slots on the opposite side. Positive blade clamping is provided on the large clamping surfaces at the edge of the cap and these mate with equally large flats on the plate; a very robust design.

Carbon now produce three different plates for their Cx and this one is the mildest plate, known as the Original Base Plate. Immediately obvious when the razor is loaded and ready to perform is the light weight of the package and moving on from reviewing some heavy weight razors made the weight difference appear more noticeable. After a couple of strokes with the Cx-316L/Ti, I was attuned to the light weight of the package and it was not a factor. There is a realistic amount of blade feel present and with an efficiency around that of a Karve CB Level #C, a very close shave resulted. I appreciated the way the razor just glided over the face for a super smooth shave. Initially the grip on the handle wasn’t positive but in a strange twist, when the handle was run under water the grip improved. This is one very pleasant razor to use and to Carbon’s credit their quality of production has markedly improved.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Gillette 7’Oclock Yellow
Material – 316L Stainless steel/ Titanium (6AL-4V ELI) handle
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 67g
Head Width – 40.66mm
Handle Length – 91.7mm
Handle Diameter – 12.64mm
Final Word – Thoroughly enjoyable
Another excellent and extremely thorough review Errol (y)

Carbon Shaving Model Cx-Ti (All Titanium) - Original Plate (USA)

Of the many metals used in the manufacture razors, titanium is my preferred choice. Production of full titanium razors is not unique but they remain far from common and are priced accordingly. This is Carbon Shavings first foray into making a complete titanium razor so I decided that one would be mine as soon as they were offered for sale. Carbon Shaving have a very good head design so it makes perfect sense to use the same design in the titanium razor and that’s exactly what has happened. A differently designed handle is used compared to the titanium handle supplied with the stainless steel headed Cx model; it has a thinner center section but maintains that distinctive Carbon Shaving handle look.

I’ve long stated that I appreciate a quality machined finish so the underside of the cap not being polished is acceptable, but the half hearted attempt at polishing the blade clamping surface on the plate does not sit well. Please don’t try to tell me these machining marks are a design feature to facilitate positive clamping of the blade when the cap is screwed down. Carbon have designed their heads so that the clamping of the blade is at the outer edge of the cap and this is another feature I appreciate. Lather build up should never be an issue as the channels to disperse the lather are large and triangular in section and if the plate is held flat it is possible to see through the lather slot and out the other side. On another positive note the quality of the thread and its engagement is very good. All Carbon has to do is get their finish up to scratch and they will have a quality razor.

For Carbon’s titanium range of razors there are also three different plates available and again this week the Cx-Ti is equipped with the original and mildest plate. It’s a noticeably lighter razor than the Cx316L/ Ti I used last week but again the shave was superb. There was very little adjustment required to move down in weight to the lighter razor and to the Cx-Ti’s credit the balance of the razor felt neutral. If there was any change in the efficiency between the two razors I could not detect it, Karve CB Level #C and oh so smooooth but with a satisfying amount of blade feel. The best part of the whole shave was just how close the result was. This is one very satisfying razor to use and one to store in the memory bank.

Blades Used – Gillette Rubie Plus and Kai
Material – Titanium (6AL-4V)
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 51g
Head Width – 40.55mm
Handle Length – 91.22mm
Handle Diameter – 12.78mm
Final Word – Nothing wrong with the shave

Carbon Shaving Model Cx-Titan - Original Plate (USA)

I have, for a long time, been expecting a carbon fiber razor to become available but I’m still waiting. Carbon Shaving have recently released the Cx-Titan model where carbon fibre forms the spindle section of the handle and when combined with titanium parts produces the lightest razor Carbon have made for sale. “We chose these materials because carbon fibre has one of the highest strength-to-density ratio of any current fibre and titanium and its alloys have the highest strength-to-density ratio of any current metal, these characteristics make it very strong”. It is said to be aerospace inspired and advertised at 38 Grams; on my scale the Titan weighed in at 37g, this is certainly one feather weight razor. Carbon Shaving produced two different versions of the Titan range, this one is the model with the polished base plate.

The titanium head on this razor was probably from the same batch as the full titanium Cx-Ti reviewed last week; they were purchased one week apart. It displays the exact same traits, machined finish under the cap; acceptable, and the ¾ polished out machine marks on the blade clamp surface of the plate lets the side down. Carbon Shaving handles have a distinctive look about them and this handle certainly fits that family mould, it is unique and looks to be a very practical design. Once the carbon fibre spindle is made, machining and assembly of the two titanium sections should be a straight forward exercise. A very fine knurl adorns the titanium sections on the handle and dry, does not inspire a lot of confidence. I’m hoping, that like its heavier siblings, the addition of water will improve the perceived grip.

Again, the Titan is fitted with the original plate so it can provide a direct comparison to the heavier variants in the Carbon family. Initially it feels like a toy in the hand, no weight, but it delivered a super smooth and very close shave. After the first couple of strokes the lack of weight is simply forgotten and this allowed me to go into overdrive and enjoy more wonderful shaving experiences. Early, during the first shave I felt there was drop in perceived efficiency, but after that short acclimatisation period the efficiency was judged to be at about Karve CB level #C. The Titan combined with the Feather blade was as smooth and close a shave as I’ve ever been privileged to experience; they were made for each other. Any thoughts about lack of handle grip were unfounded and I could not tell you if I run the handle under water for grip or not, the process was just natural. What a wonderful shaving experience.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock Black and Feather
Material – Titanium (6AL-4V) - The carbon fibre has 4 layers of clear marine grade epoxy, hand sanded between each coat. The pieces are bonded together using a specially designed epoxy.
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 37g
Head Width – 40.75mm
Handle Length – 93.3mm
Handle Diameter – 12.8mm
Final Word – Very Rewarding

Great review as always Errol. But I find the idea behind this new handle to be troublesome. Carbon fibre has a zillion practical uses -- many outside the the military and aerospace industries, like fishing gear and knife scales to name a couple. But in the case of a razor handle, it seems more gimmicky than practical. Just sayin'

Great review as always Errol. But I find the idea behind this new handle to be troublesome. Carbon fibre has a zillion practical uses -- many outside the the military and aerospace industries, like fishing gear and knife scales to name a couple. But in the case of a razor handle, it seems more gimmicky than practical. Just sayin'

You‘re correct. What they’ve done here is child’s play compared to what carbon fibre can be used for.

Agree.

If they wanted a light handle there is already Bakelite plastic which a world cheaper to produce.

Razorock BBS (Canada)

Razorock’s BBS looks for all the world like a stainless steel version of Razorock’s own Babysmooth which was released about four years ago (clever name marketing). There wasn’t a lot wrong with the Babysmooth, it shaved on the lower side of mid efficiency and came in both aluminium and titanium versions. Looking at the BBS, its most notable feature is the tight radius of the plate and its corresponding cap which clamps the blade over the entire under surface of the cap. This combination of plate curvature and almost complete clamping of the blade places positive tension on the blade; no flex here. Recent releases of razors from Razorock have come with very good machine polished finishes and the BBS is no different. There are light machine marks on the underside of the cap with no attempt has been made to polished them. This BBS is fitted with the Super Knurl handle and it provided positive grip. Assembling the handle to the cap is a smooth operation due to the very well mating threads.

It’s dangerous to commence the first shave with any preconceived ideas but I went into this with expectations of efficiency on par with what was achieved with the Babysmooth. As expected though, the efficiency was on the lower side of mid efficiency at about Karve CB level #B. There was virtually no blade feel but to the BBS’s credit a very close shave resulted and of course, the shave was ever so smooth. There was nothing wrong with the delivered mild shave however the BBS is not for me; I prefer a more aggression and positive blade protrusion.

Blades Used – Bic and Kai
Material – Stainless Steel
Blade Tab – Covered
Weight – 103g
Head Width – 43mm
Handle Length – 90mm
Handle Diameter – 12.66mm
Availability – Italian Barber
Final Word – Mild

Executive Shaving Outlaw (Hong Kong)

This is not the razor I planned on reviewing this week. I had originally planned on an Alpha Outlaw but that all went pear shaped:
  • The Alpha Outlaw posted in about March has not progressed through Australian Customs and has been sitting there since early June.
  • There were no packages being mailed to Australia from Hong Kong so the replacement Alpha Outlaw razor was waiting for the shutters to open.
Outlaw’s design is collaboration between Alpha Shaving and Executive Shaving and the interesting thing is that both companies have chosen to advertise the Outlaw model under their own branding. This particular Outlaw was purchased from Executive Shaving but the Alpha Shaving Outlaw is exactly the same razor; you simply choose your preferred supplier; all that differs is the branding. It was a bright shiny finish razor that greeted me when I removed the Outlaw from the pouch, but it was the perfect thread engagement that stood out for me. Getting back to the finish and other than the machining marks under the cap, everything else has been machine polished to perfection. For whatever reason the plate does not clamp the blade at its outer extremity leaving the cap to apply unsupported pressure on the top of the blade.

In its advertising literature the Outlaw is likened to the R-41 so that made the ears prick. I’ve not used an R-41 but knowing the folk law surrounding its performance, I’m here to say the Outlaw is not an R-41 but a mid-efficiency razor that operates about the Karve CB Level #D efficiency. The shave was certainly close; I enjoyed the pleasant amount of positive blade exposure provided and the amazing fact was just how smooth the resultant shave was. This razor is gooood!! Whatever the Outlaw provider you choose, there is now a milder head available. I have one, but with the original Outlaw falling right in my ever so pleasing sweet spot, there is no rush to go to the milder alternative.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum and Treet Platinum
Material –
316L Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 114g
Head Width – 43.57mm
Handle Length – 85mm
Handle Diameter – 13.6mm
Availability – Alpha Shaving and Executive Shaving
Final Word – Amazing

PS: Not one, but both Alpha Shaving Outlaws have arrived in the last few days.

Another wonderful review @Errol. I've seen this one pop up in the various US SOTD posts and like the look. Another one bookmarked for when I finally win lotto... :woot:

Executive Shaving Outlaw (Hong Kong)

This is not the razor I planned on reviewing this week. I had originally planned on an Alpha Outlaw but that all went pear shaped:
  • The Alpha Outlaw posted in about March has not progressed through Australian Customs and has been sitting there since early June.
  • There were no packages being mailed to Australia from Hong Kong so the replacement Alpha Outlaw razor was waiting for the shutters to open.
Outlaw’s design is collaboration between Alpha Shaving and Executive Shaving and the interesting thing is that both companies have chosen to advertise the Outlaw model under their own branding. This particular Outlaw was purchased from Executive Shaving but the Alpha Shaving Outlaw is exactly the same razor; you simply choose your preferred supplier; all that differs is the branding. It was a bright shiny finish razor that greeted me when I removed the Outlaw from the pouch, but it was the perfect thread engagement that stood out for me. Getting back to the finish and other than the machining marks under the cap, everything else has been machine polished to perfection. For whatever reason the plate does not clamp the blade at its outer extremity leaving the cap to apply unsupported pressure on the top of the blade.

In its advertising literature the Outlaw is likened to the R-41 so that made the ears prick. I’ve not used an R-41 but knowing the folk law surrounding its performance, I’m here to say the Outlaw is not an R-41 but a mid-efficiency razor that operates about the Karve CB Level #D efficiency. The shave was certainly close; I enjoyed the pleasant amount of positive blade exposure provided and the amazing fact was just how smooth the resultant shave was. This razor is gooood!! Whatever the Outlaw provider you choose, there is now a milder head available. I have one, but with the original Outlaw falling right in my ever so pleasing sweet spot, there is no rush to go to the milder alternative.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum and Treet Platinum
Material –
316L Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 114g
Head Width – 43.57mm
Handle Length – 85mm
Handle Diameter – 13.6mm
Availability – Alpha Shaving and Executive Shaving
Final Word – Amazing

PS: Not one, but both Alpha Shaving Outlaws have arrived in the last few days.

Glad you wrote the review not me.
100% spot again.

And to think mine was an accidental purchase.

Brian from Execurive Shaving mentioned this razor was made in Scotland, can you confirm Errol ?

Glad you wrote the review not me.
100% spot again.

And to think mine was an accidental purchase.

Brian from Execurive Shaving mentioned this razor was made in Scotland, can you confirm Errol ?

@rhodes96 It‘s good to see I‘m not the only one who appreciated the Outlaw. Like you I previously made the same enquiry with Executive Shaving and was advised that the Outlaw was made in Hong Kong. This only confirmed what I’d been told from Steve at Alpha. Executive Shaving could not find a machine shop in Scotland for their Claymore so unless things have change it is unlikely that we will see many future razors made in Scotland.

Henson Shaving AL 13 – Made for Men (Canada)

Not very often, but sometimes, an aluminium razor grabs my attention; the Henson AL 13 grabbed my attention, so I made one mine. What do you do with the extra capacity you have available in the machine shop when your core business is machining parts for the space industry? Henson turned their hand to making razors. My warped sense of imagination runs riot thinking about that day in the board room where the decision was made to convert that extra machining capacity into making razors.

When you read the blurb on Henson one word keeps coming to mind - Precision; therefore, nothing short of perfection in the delivered product is expected. Henson have utilized their project team to study their design and have come up with an innovative razor. Probably the most unique part is the plate so that’s where I’ll start. It’s a flat piece of aluminium and if you look at the ends, you’d think it has a shallow lather channel. However, in reality there are four angled grooves to clear the lather. Blade positioning is via elongated posts on the cap that that mate into blade grooves in the plate, but assisting with positioning the blade are small tabs on each corner of the plate. Just to emphasize the quality of manufacture there is a tungsten insert at the rear of the centre hole for the handle to butt up against. Where most manufacturers employ a curved cap design, Henson utilize a very flat looking cap with bevelled edges. Another pleasing feature is that the blade is clamped at the outer edge of the cap. The tapered handle is a bit thinner than I prefer but the shallow machined groves feel like they will provide positive grip. While the available colours include the cute greens, pinks and other bright colours, it was a boring black anodised one for me.

I don’t know that I’m a fan of Henson’s naming of efficiency levels; Made for Men, Made for Women and for those opposed to shaving with a razor Made for Women there is now a mild plate. Of course I chose a Made for Men razor. I wish Henson had an efficiency level Made for Gorilla because the plate I used provided a ridiculously mild shave well below that of a Karve CB Level #B efficiency. While shaving the bevelled face of the cap rests against the face; stray minutely over the threshold and the razor goes into skidding on the top corner of the plate; bloody annoying, in fact two shaves was more than enough for me, I packed it away. Please Henson, ditch the current cap design and provide a round topped cap; I hadn’t realised why the caps on razors are generally curved, now I know. That would get rid of the top corner of the plate and exclude the necessity to have the bevelled part of the cap dictating the shave angle. A close shave, not even in the ball park. Henson have the basis of a great razor design but it does require some tweaks to get right. Let’s hope they take constructive criticism on board and come up with a spectacular stainless steel version.

Henson Shaving are not resting on their laurels and already there is talk of titanium and tungsten razors being produced. Yes, tungsten, the toughest material found in nature and I should imagine very difficult to work with. To emphasise the challengers faced by Henson, tungsten is in the tool bits used for machining other metals. I want one.

Blades Used – Super-Max Platinum Plus
Material – Aluminium AL13
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 39g
Head Width – 43.27mm
Handle Length – 96mm
Handle Diameter – Tapered
Availability – Henson Shaving
Final Word – Disappointing