The Best Boar in the World

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
I haven't found it yet, but it ain't this one.

box.jpg

What's this you shout aghast, Drubbing gone way downmarket? The SBAD must be terminal with this one. No. I already understand I'm not a completely normal and self-consciously always trying to keep away from the edge of the cliff.

This was a gift from Pjotr. I think it was a thank you for the Bluebeards Revenge, but he was too shy to say. Either way, he left the price tag on there - he wasn't shy about that. I never do that, because I always want people to guess my level of magnanimous generosity, but no such fancy airs and graces with our Pj. He went the whole (rock bottom shelf) hog and lashed out $1.75.

Given we live only a few k's apart, I can't decide whether he posted it to me to make it look like he spent some actual cash, or he was just too lazy to drop it in. Even so, it was pretty dumb. The postage cost him three times the brush.

What can you say about a $1.75 boar bought at one of country WA's general stores, where Pj suggest the yokels aren't so much the missing link, but more the lost tribe? The sort of place he describes as a one-horse town, but the store has a petrol bowser? A place where tinned peaches and beef jerky go out of date, and they are. It's cheap, that's what you can say.

Pj suggested I keep it for fun or PIF it. I thought I'd best not to make too many enemies online, and to try it out before offloading it on some poor sap who's listened to my inane rambling on the regality of the boar. I doubt this would be representative of the genre. I was right.

Let's check the quality on this thing. Well, its wood. It's painted (briefly) and it's got hair.

left lean.jpg

I'm no photographer, but no, you're not seeing things. It leans to the left all the way from the base of the handle to the tips. You can't see it in these pics, but the ring knot fits like a glove – if an octopus was wearing it.

I won’t say the blond knot is prickly, but if it were a comedian, it'd be Joan Rivers. I'm actually surprised some tips have started to split; I expected they would be clipped. It's must be a perverse sort of skill not to clip them, and still end up with something that's as uncomfortable as seeing the mother in law naked.

bristle.jpg bloom.jpg

Having taken the piss, it does work. But this is as basic as it gets; if Semogue sell the BMW of boars, this reminds me of my first car, a Simca 1000; passengers had to help me get the gear stick into reverse.

NV185711_1.jpg

I reckon the $5 boar at Coles could edge it out, but this one would have to start out in front because it hasn't dropped a hair. That's pretty impressive for less than $2. Guessing at the knot size alongside a couple of my boars, I'm thinking 20mm and 50mm loft, so it's always going to be on the scrubby side. My Semogue 1460 is 22/50, but is softer to the touch.

Here it is lathered up with some Tabac. As you might expect, it showed the soap no mercy; I have little bristle claws through the top of the soap.

lathered.jpg

So you can use it, and it'll make good lather. But it's as basic as you'll find. It has more scratchiness than a 620, which feels like a Silvertip by comparison. If I didn't have other boars, I'd certainly use this as the ultimate in budget back up brushes; a travel brush you wouldn't lose a minutes sleep over if you left it on holiday.

You can probably find another just like it. Just head down the Bussell Highway. Swing a left after Margaret River. Stop at the only place with a single bowser, call in and ask for Robbo or Shazza, or their teenage daughter, Indjaarna-TaylaRose. She'll sort you out.

Last edited:
You're such a boar snob! A fancy Spanish name, an acrylic handle and who's on his knees pitifully begging for more? Slap a $40 price tag on it and it would suddenly be comfortably prickly with a special, unique, purposely bent right handed knot.

What am I to tell my drooling, banjo playing shopkeeper mates? They'll be so dissapointed. It was their first sale with that new fangled eftpos credit card thingey that was just installed. They were so excited!

You're such a boar snob! A fancy Spanish name, an acrylic handle and who's on his knees pitifully begging for more? Slap a $40 price tag on it and it would suddenly be comfortably prickly with a special, unique, purposely bent right handed knot.

What am I to tell my drooling, banjo playing shopkeeper mates? They'll be so dissapointed. It was their first sale with that new fangled eftpos credit card thingey that was just installed. They were so excited!

I prefer 'astute'. If you think that's snobbery, I just got the famous Simmo's Chubby 1 yesterday. This costs about 100 times the duelling banjo boar. True to form and being anti-hype, I'm reserving judgement, but concerned early that I've done a wad...It could simply be too much brush for an astute boarist like myself.

Speaking of which - you bastard. You made them eftpos $1.75? The bank will probably charge them twice its cost in fees. You better not go back there in a hurry, they'll be cursing you smart city folk with your slick lectronically buttoned money, with all your own teeth, and no tatts on your neck. That's good money that could have gone to Indjaarna TaylaRose's beauty school fund.

Last edited:
well that was a good cracking review.

I expect the manufacturer will be offering you more products to review in the future...perhaps a single bristle Gentleman's toothbrush?

Anyway I lol'd.

Pjotr you tight arse.

edit: I use one of these for cleaning my keyboard.

Last edited:
Don't you start JugV2. That's a wicked el cheapo drugstore boar. Pity it was stuck on the shelf for 40yrs and developed a certain lopsidedness. Adds to the character.

Ahh yes, "character".

The saving grace of ugly girls, undriveable luxury cars and cheap nasty shaving brushes.

The Sigma station wagon I drove had character.

I'm only stirring you mate, I think it's funny as hell you sent Drubbing that brush.

Stirring is what it's all about! After his recent bout of depression caused by expensive upper class boar brush failure, the forelorn intention was to re-introduce Drubbing to the grass roots of boar brushes. Grass being the operative word to describe the bristles and the "rooted" goes well with the handle too. Alas the Drubster is now beyond redemption aspiring to the upper echelon with purchases of brushes with names like Chubby, Colonel and "The Tulip". The poor old "Drooling Banjo" never stood a chance.

Last edited:
I've got a true contender for best boar in the world - after the news at 6.