Sub $100 / Quality Razor / More Aggressive than DE89, Less than R41

So.. I thought I'd update.

I now have a huge shopping list of Razors to try out, I received delivery today of my Rockwell 6C.

I bit the bullet and went with the changeable plates.

It's new and looks great, but.. I can already see the difference between the Muhle / EJ build. Little things like a single 'squeak' when I screw in the cap that I never get with my others.

Hopefully she shaves as promised though. Tonight i'll be tee-ing up my Feather and plate 4 to start off with, if it's not 'efficient' enough I'll try out plate 5/6.

It came with 5 Rockwell blades, I'll prob keep them for my Shavette that I use for my neck and shaping side burns.

It's new and looks great, but.. I can already see the difference between the Muhle / EJ build. Little things like a single 'squeak' when I screw in the cap that I never get with my others.
Tip: Put Vaseline (or some other oil) on the threads. Makes them last longer and prevents corrosion. Also, never over-tighten.

I only realised this was a thing when my Karve razor arrived with Vaseline already on the post (and a sheet describing why).

Just used Vaseline on the thread, because, it’s smoother and lasts longer on the thread. NEVER over tighten as @lerenau said above.

Yep, thanks guys.

I always lube up my posts...

Jokes aside, I've added Vaseline to all of my rigs, but they never made a noise even before that.

So - time for another update.

The 6C as a razor is phenomenal. I can't believe how smooth it was!

It was really quick to learn the angle and boy did it carve off 3 days growth with the 5 plate.

I might dial it back to the 4 for everyday shaving though.

Barely any audible feedback, did not drag, did not pull and rinsed the soap out with absolute ease.

Weight if the rig is great, it feels hefty but without feeling unbalanced.

I'm so glad I bought this razor (for now).. then again I was happy with all my razors till I saw something prettier!

I now kinda regret not getting the 6S but I really do prefer chrome over the brushed look.

I am in the same boat. As a beginner was using the edwin jagger de89 but now want more.

Am leaning towards a 6S

The 6S is the swiss army knife of DE razors. Does it all and will probably outlast all of us.

Although it may not be as pretty as a Wolfman, it sure gets the job done. I don't think there would find too many people complaining about this razor performance vs $ wise.

The 6S is the swiss army knife of DE razors. Does it all and will probably outlast all of us.

Although it may not be as pretty as a Wolfman, it sure gets the job done. I don't think there would find too many people complaining about this razor performance vs $ wise.

... but imagine if you could get a Wolfman AND support a good cause in a Charity Auction - wouldn't THAT be something else ...

The stuff dreams are made of ...

If I recall correctly, someone didn't care much for the wolfman as every man and his dog had one :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Absolutely - but when you have a good cause thrown in ...

In all the time everyone's been posting back and forth on this thread, vshod would have dispatched your RR and it would be in your mailbox.

Incidentally, my vote would be for the RR JAWS...

Another 6s lover here. I’m sure there are ‘better’ razors out there, but you need to fork out quite a bit more for them.

I am in the same boat. As a beginner was using the edwin jagger de89 but now want more.

Am leaning towards a 6S

mark my words, you will always go back to the DE89 at some stage.

The DE89 is still the best razor I own from my collection. It's like the Camry of shaves. You know it's going to do the job, reliably and last the test of time for a great price.

I used it last night with a Feather Blade and it was just pure joy.

I remember getting my DE89 and using a feather blade for the first time, it was a bloodbath.. now as time has gone by and many other razors have made the selection, using the 89 is like jumping on a bike with training wheels after you've learned how to mountain bike down hill.

mark my words, you will always go back to the DE89 at some stage.

The DE89 is still the best razor I own from my collection. It's like the Camry of shaves. You know it's going to do the job, reliably and last the test of time for a great price.

I used it last night with a Feather Blade and it was just pure joy.

I remember getting my DE89 and using a feather blade for the first time, it was a bloodbath.. now as time has gone by and many other razors have made the selection, using the 89 is like jumping on a bike with training wheels after you've learned how to mountain bike down hill.
But also like the Camry, its a lot less attractive than its competition and you'd rather be seen with something more exotic ;)

But also like the Camry, its a lot less attractive than its competition and you'd rather be seen with something more exotic ;)

NOOOOOOOO, the DE89 is NOTHING like a Camry.

Sure, it is not as exotic or fancy as other razors, it doesn't have the shiny chrome hotrod look of the Wolfman or the sylish classic sportcar lines like some of the vintage Gillettes, or even the 4WD flexibility of the Rockwell 6S - but it is not a Camry.

The generic, twin blade disposable razor you buy in a 5 or 10 pack at the supermarket - now THAT is the Camry of shaves.

Does the job - just

Looks like a piece of, well you know, but still not offensive enough to be noticed for its looks

Can NEVER be pleasurable to use, you always feel slightly less than satisfied

Is affordable - in a short-term term poor investment kinda way

Comes in bulk - there are a STACK on the lot so to speak

Can be thrown away at the end of its life with NO remorse at all

Is never going to be on anybody's wish list, and NOT something you would hope to get as a gift

Don't say it isn't so

Lmao :LOL:
Your analogy cracks me up. (Your hurting my broken ribs)
After all the De89 is still bling chrome. The chroming finish is decent.

I have had a thought about Phunk's analogy comparing the de89 to a camry. I think a better analogy would be a 1968 Cadillac Deville. Blingy, Reliable, but not the fastest kid on the block, and not very fuel efficient.