Sub $100 / Quality Razor / More Aggressive than DE89, Less than R41

Phunk

Hi Guys,

I have been stumped trying to find something to fit the bill and it's frustrating.

Every time I find something, there is a review or post about either build quality, performance, smoothness etc.

Definitely don't want (spin style) adjustable

I'm hoping for something with a 6 in my aggressiveness scale (if that makes sense)

- Merkur 34C - 3.5/10
- EJ DE89 - 4/10
- Futur - Hate this razor, the head is too bulky and can't get under my nose properly
- Muhle R41 - 8/10

I've been recommended or am thinking of the below

- Fatip Piccolo / Grande?
- EJ 3One6 (been told it's not much more aggressive than the DE89 and it's a bit too expensive)
- Rockwell 6C (been told it has garbage QA on the build, and personally would rather something made in Aus / UK / US / Germany

Anyone have any thoughts on what would fit the bill?
Something that I can also buy locally to support local business would be great (Online / Brick and Mortar)

Cheers!

Vshod will sell you a Razorock Game Changer 84p for just $20 over your budget, and throw in 20 tucks of blades. A very nice razor as many will tell you.

Thanks mate, problem I had with this was that I couldn't find anyone locally? It had to be shipped from overseas.. otherwise it would have been perfect to try out (happy to stretch the budget a touch)

With regard to Fatip I hesitated to buy one for a long time because of QC issues. However after seeing reports on improved quality I finally decided to take a chance. I bought a Fatip Nobile Black Tie which has the same head as the Grande /Piccolo. Happy to say that there's absolutely no problems with fit or finish. It shaves a bit like a Gillette Old Type but smoother. Because you mention the Futur I would say the Futur feels more aggressive (my typical shave WTG 3, ATG 1, WTG clean up 6) but the Fatip provides just as close a shave without the risk (for some) of the big blade gap.

With regard to Fatip I hesitated to buy one for a long time because of QC issues. However after seeing reports on improved quality I finally decided to take a chance. I bought a Fatip Nobile Black Tie which has the same head as the Grande /Piccolo. Happy to say that there's absolutely no problems with fit or finish. It shaves a bit like a Gillette Old Type but smoother. Because you mention the Futur I would say the Futur feels more aggressive (my typical shave WTG 3, ATG 1, WTG clean up 6) but the Fatip provides just as close a shave without the risk (for some) of the big blade gap.

Thank you.

What blades are you teaming it up with? as in, if you consider it a mild razor but a touch more aggressive than the DE89, will the feathers amp it up a little?

I can't believe I missed that. I've been actively avoiding that site because of the no .au

Thank you!
Yeah the site needs an overhaul but the service is second to none.

Have you considered chucking a KAI blade in the DE89? blade is a bit bigger than most so will have more positive blade exposure and might work for you? IDK, I'm still new to all this.

Fatip compared to a DE 89? The Fatip is a lot more efficient. The DE89 is a razor that was on my list of must haves, but I only kept it for a month. I gave my it away because it was annoyingly mild. With regard to blades I like Bic, Gillette sharp edge, Feather, Astra SP.

Have you considered chucking a KAI blade in the DE89? blade is a bit bigger than most so will have more positive blade exposure and might work for you? IDK, I'm still new to all this.
I'm up to try anything really.

I love the build quality of the EJ it just needs more bite. I find myself doing 3 or 4 passes sometimes

Wouldn't think blade width would make too much difference? Isn't it all about the gap?

Wouldn't think blade width would make too much difference? Isn't it all about the gap?
Kai are wider across than most so they can noticeably change the geometry and therefore feel of same razors. At between 0.2 - 0.3mm wider it's only up to 0.15mm more on each side, but when you consider that blade exposure (not gap) is only about that with standard sized blades on many razors you could be doubling that and that's what gives you extra blade feel.

cCunA1v.jpg

@Phunk get both GC- 84P and Fatip Piccolo then you will have two of the best affordable razors and one each SB and OC the only better deal would be a Karve with SB-D and OC-C but costs more and not available locally.

Jesus Christ. Just when you think "this shaving business can't be too scientific"... You get stunned time and time again.

Thanks heaps
I had no idea when I started but I enjoy researching a lot. Once you understand the different angles and measurements that all work together you can understand why it's not just about blade gap and why one razor with the same gap can feel very different to another with the same gap.