Stropping Spanish point razor, e.g. GD W59

sd_baker

I finally sharpened my GD W59 and it's ready for a shave. When I stropped it on bare leather, it felt very uneasy with the sharp point possibly digging into the leather, I still haven't looked over the strop carefully to see it got damaged.

Should I mute the point? Modify stropping technique? I see the Dovo Spanish point razor comes with a muted point, but I kind of like the intense of the W59.

I have been shaving with and stropping Gold Dollar W59 SRs for about 4 years now. My W59s all have sharp pointy toes. I like them that way :D. With a normal good stropping technique, you should not have any problem with the blade's toe digging into the leather.

Stropping non-muted spike, American and French pointed SRs give about the same chance for damage as a Spanish point. If you are concerned about possibly damaging the strop with your W59, first practice stropping it on a folded newspaper strop (see annex II of the SR Shaving Instructions) about the same width as your leather strop. If you damage the folded newspaper strop, your stropping technique needs to be worked on. Of course there are those who are intimidated by sharp pointy toes and then mute then toe :confused:. I don't let a piece of steel that I have full control over intimidate me.

Last edited: