Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
In anticipation of some early shaves it might be wise to ensure that a new year has a new SOTD thread!

As I mentioned last year, there is no set format, although, in case this helps, personally I include:

Pre-shave: if applicable
Brush:
Soap/Cream:
Razor:
(setting in parenthesis if adjustable)
Blade: (shave in brackets)
Post-shave:
Fragrance:
(EDT, EDC or EDP) if applicable

Photos, of any quality, are encouraged but not essential. We don't host images directly on the forum. You will need to host on sites like Flickr or Imgur and use them to generate a BBCode link, see instructions for Flickr and Imgur respectively. Alternatively you can use services like TinyPic, use 'IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards' or Postimage, use 'Hotlink for forums' to generate links.

In all cases it is helpful to resize images with the last two sites recommending 640 x 480 for forums - max 800 x 600 to help our mobile users

Thoughts and reflections on the shave are most welcome too, as are general comments du jour.

Happy shaving guys

bxfNhNZ.jpg

M&F
Weber PH + Uf0
Feather
Martin de Candre Agrumes
AP Reserve Passione

Bit of business to attend to tomorrow morning so I thought I would get in early ;)

S1Diya2l.jpg

Hone Type 15 + Lord
Simfix synthetic
Nordost

had enough lather for 5 or 6 passes, but stopped after 3. Wonderful slickness as always and a super smooth result. Whilst this razor is on the heavy side, I purposely bought it away with me to try and master it. It is a mild razor, and with an almost 'hammer like' grip it performs well enough. Having said that, after three passes I am ready to put it down.

Happy new year one and all. May your shaves be smooth and your R/SAD be ubiquitous.​

Date:- 01 January 2020.... HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling ~ Mountain Man
Razor/Blade:- Schick Eversharp Hydro-Magic / Personna PTFE Coated Injector #4
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Tipple:- Bruichladdich The Laddie Ten 10yrs Old

giphy.gif

Date:- 01 January 2020. Happy New Year all. :)
Pre: Hot shower
Razor: Wolfman WR2, SB 0.95 Gap, WRH7 Handle
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Coolabah
Back from my Antarctic holiday and looked forward to this shave. It did not disappoint, good to be home.
Few random holiday photos.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
[/url]

Date:- 01 January 2020. Happy New Year all. :)
Pre: Hot shower
Razor: Wolfman WR2, SB 0.95 Gap, WRH7 Handle
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Coolabah
Back from my Antarctic holiday and looked forward to this shave. It did not disappoint, good to be home.
Few random holiday photos.

Yay penguins!!! Glad to see you had a safe & pleasant trip @Nico. Looking forward to catching up in 2020 (y)

IJIhayHl.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Back Beet V3
Brush: Bernard
Razor: Boker Tree Brand
Luxury shave! One of my favourite soaps.
The bath soap is 'Storm Rose', a collaboration between my daughter and myself. It was still out from cutting up for Christmas gifts so became SOTD fodder. The scent from Storm Rose is amazing. If you shower or simply wash your hands with it then come back to the bathroom 10 minutes later the room is still filled with the beautiful rose scent. It's usually a winner with family and friends.

Happy New Year all and welcome to 2020!

Pre: Shower
Razor: Grandslam American flip - Open comb/safety bar combo - Xmas gift from my youngest Son and part of a matching set.
Brush: Grandslam pure badger deluxe - from the Xmas set and has to be the softest and most stinky badger brush I own. I'm going to have to do something with this, saying it smells disgusting is a massive understatement and it's shedding hairs faster than a cockroach spinning out on bug spray! It's so soft and limp it's almost useless. It's going to be a donor handle for a new knot at some point.
Blade: German wilkie (1)
Soap: Mondial Florence - nice gentle spiced citrus scent
Post: Nelum Sandalwood lotion and My Beard beard/face conditioner

YFyKn4w.jpg

9BXBpHf.jpg

Hangover SOTD 1/1/2020!
Pre:
Swim, Cold Shower, Proraso Green Pre-Shave Cream
Soap: Proraso Green
Brush: Yaki Moka 28mm Two Band Badger
Razor: Holy Black Shavette
Blade: Feather DE (2)
Post: Alum, My Tea Tree and Witch Hazel Splash, L'Oreal AS Balm

So...... with a hangover that would kill a mere mortal I decided a challenge was in order so out came this shavette (new addition) and inserted was a Feather on it's second use. I liked the look of this implement and it has a good weight to it. 3 pass shave with just a couple of weepers was as good as I could expect given the one too many libations I consumed whilst bidding my farewell to 2019!

Happy 2020! and remember........ drink responsibly!

Just some of the madness that is New Year's Eve in Alexanderplatz, Berlin -

This is about 20 seconds, it lasted in total over two hours in a similar vein. Fireworks are legal, everyone has them, setting them off in the streets pretty much anywhere seems perfectly acceptable. All you could see out our hotel window for two hours from when we were woken up by it at 11pm was fireworks.

612-A9-A76-A77-E-489-E-AF06-37-FBE016-BE40.jpg

Happy new year!! I’ve been trying samples for the last month or so and am so behind in posting but I did have to just say how much I enjoyed my Darwin soap sample from France this morning. It’s LPL rebranded, someone told me, with a balsamic vibe scent. The scent pairs very well with the post shave items you see above.

Great cushion, glide and very good slickness. Easy to lather. Worth the dollars? Maybe. Certainly has a luxurious yet masculine vibe to the whole experience.

This is about 20 seconds, it lasted in total over two hours in a similar vein. Fireworks are legal, everyone has them, setting them off in the streets pretty much anywhere seems perfectly acceptable. All you could see out our hotel window for two hours from when we were woken up by it at 11pm was fireworks.

A bit like Darwin on Territory Day but a much grander scale

Machine: Timeless 0.95 oc scalloped / UFO Goliath prototype
blade: Personna (Czech republic)
brush: Rudy Vey / shavemac
soap: Squadron soaps "The Warden"
splash: A&E Khalifa

BGg4SxD.jpg

First shave of the day. These blades seems better to me than the Astra green. They are just in a comodity supermarket around here.

Last edited:
mkOWJUwl.jpg

Soap: Declaration Milksteak - @todras PIF
Brush: 20mm Master Badger
Razor: Colonial General
Blade: Feather Pro Super (4)
I chose a razor/blade combination with a bit of grunt to test the Declaration Milksteak. I had high expectations (post hype) and wasn't disappointed. I added water slowly while lathering. The soap took plenty of water and produced a glossy cream which was lovely to apply and provided a very nice base for shaving with good protection and glide.
I haven't used an unscented soap before. The scent of the soap was quite pleasant/neutral.
I noticed when cleaning the razor post shave the razor felt a bit 'grippy'. Similar to the feel from tocopheryl acetate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not important just different.
Post shave face feel was good. I'd have no problem with purchasing this soap.

Last edited:
1IZA3Lo.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Pre-Shave Cream
Brush: Paladin Lotus Select Badger
Soap: Barrister Reserve Fern
Razor: UFO Tornado / Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Silver (6)
Scent:Boellis Panama 1924

This was my final shave of 2019, and a good'un.

Pre: cold water 'n goats milk soap face wash & Beard Oil (plus a couple bourbons, always makes the shave smoother)
Brush: Yaqi Space chrome synth Pony - still a true favourite this brush, I really love it.
Razor: Yaqi Eden - stainless steel with open comb mellon head
Blade: Feather (3) Have found I quite enjoy feathers in open comb or slant razors most.. No idea why
Soap: Proraso Vitamin E and Aloe cream, very nice cushion and slickness. Skin feels great post as well.
Post: Traditional Bay Rum AS - forgot to put the skull in photo opps.

5KwCuZT.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.