Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson boar shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fougere Trois shaving soap
Razor: Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Gillette Super Thin (1)
Post-shave: APR Fougere Trois splash
Fragrance: N/A

Nice, nice, nice - just a pity I missed out on the EDP.

hq89PURl.jpg

Blackland Tradere OC + Astra Green
B&M Terror soap and balm
Dovo silvertip

Firstly the soap and balm, top notch. Wonderful scent and awesome chill. I love it and am tempted to stock up.

As for the razor, hmmmm. On first use I inserted the supplied Personna DE blades. I went with my normal routine of one pass WTG and then the second pass XTG. The resulting burn on my neck was really unpleasant and one I have not experienced for a long time. I had to take a day off to let my skin recover. Since then I have had two shaves with an Astra Green and have had better results. I can't go XTG with this combo either, but I have not had any razor burn.

The jury is still out on this one. After all, there are so many variables to play with, and I can't give a true assessment after only 3 shaves. I will play around with some other blades, head angle, pressure and shaving direction to see what I can come up with. However, when I compare it to my gold standard (Charcoal Goods Level 2) it comes up short. I never had to 'experiment' with my C.G. level 2 razors, they have all been amazing from the get go.

Blackland Tradere OC + Astra Green
B&M Terror soap and balm
Dovo silvertip

Firstly the soap and balm, top notch. Wonderful scent and awesome chill. I love it and am tempted to stock up.

As for the razor, hmmmm. On first use I inserted the supplied Personna DE blades. I went with my normal routine of one pass WTG and then the second pass XTG. The resulting burn on my neck was really unpleasant and one I have not experienced for a long time. I had to take a day off to let my skin recover. Since then I have had two shaves with an Astra Green and have had better results. I can't go XTG with this combo either, but I have not had any razor burn.

The jury is still out on this one. After all, there are so many variables to play with, and I can't give a true assessment after only 3 shaves. I will play around with some other blades, head angle, pressure and shaving direction to see what I can come up with. However, when I compare it to my gold standard (Charcoal Goods Level 2) it comes up short. I never had to 'experiment' with my C.G. level 2 razors, they have all been amazing from the get go.
The Blackland Tradere OC is definitely and aggressive razor. It's based on the Gen 1 Tradere, which was eventually replaced by the milder Gen 2 OC, because many shavers found it too aggressive. I have both the Blackland Tradere SB and OC. I find the SB more forgiving.

Last edited:

...The jury is still out on this one. After all, there are so many variables to play with, and I can't give a true assessment after only 3 shaves. I will play around with some other blades, head angle, pressure and shaving direction to see what I can come up with. However, when I compare it to my gold standard (Charcoal Goods Level 2) it comes up short. I never had to 'experiment' with my C.G. level 2 razors, they have all been amazing from the get go.

Bummer. Disappointing when something that's so hyped (and so expensive) comes up short, especially given how long you had to wait. :(

Have both the 1.25 and T95, they are both top quality razors to hold and use. The 1.25 is a notch up in efficiency and is a very smooth razor to me with the T95 even smoother than the 1.25.. both are fantastic razors that serve a different purpose.

If I wanted a closer experience to the Timeless 95 the WR2 1.15 would be the gap to get.

for me I wanted efficiency to sit between the T95 and the JAWS which the 1.25 does perfectly

Have only used a bronze karve a couple times with plate D only.. the T95 is much more efficient than the D plate which was the lowest I would go. Have not tried plates E or F

hey @rhodes96 I am sure @Blackie can chime in here with his 2c he had the Timeless 95 OC and also the Karve up to plate E I believe

Thanks @StratMan I can say that to me the stainless Timeless .95 OC shaved a tad closer than the WR2 1.15 DC but the WR2 is a lot smoother shave.
I sold the WR2 because I wanted 'something' that shaved closer though. I should have bought the WR2 1.25 (or 1.35?).
The WR2 is perfectly made and a joy to use for sure.
My feeling is that my stainless Karve #E (SB) plate is as smooth and shaves that wee notch closer than my WR2...but I do have both Karve #F and #G plates (SB) on their way to me right now (they arrived in Auckland, NZ this afternoon so I should have them next week).
At 73 my skin is a tad wrinkled (go figure) and is paper thin. Slightest bump can bruise or rip the skin...ahhh the pleasures of growing old!
Yet, I feel the need for the more aggressive razors (but I still need smoothness too).
I think the Karve #E plate beats the Timeless .95 OC in face feel. Certainly a smoother shaving experience.
The Timeless wins in a closer shave though.
This will all change next week when I try the #F and #G plates!
I didn't buy any Karve OC plates because I simply don't like the look of them! Look a tad clunky to me. That's all that put me off buying them.
Now...have I helped or hindered anyone with my thoughts?
If anyone asked me what razor to buy (WR2, Timeless, or Karve) I'd have to say..."Get them all". Each razor brings something different to the party.
Life's too short to shag about and worry about the cost. Just get all 3 (standard P&C answer).

Thanks @StratMan I can say that to me the stainless Timeless .95 OC shaved a tad closer than the WR2 1.15 DC but the WR2 is a lot smoother shave.
I sold the WR2 because I wanted 'something' that shaved closer though. I should have bought the WR2 1.25 (or 1.35?).
The WR2 is perfectly made and a joy to use for sure.
My feeling is that my stainless Karve #E (SB) plate is as smooth and shaves that wee notch closer than my WR2...but I do have both Karve #F and #G plates (SB) on their way to me right now (they arrived in Auckland, NZ this afternoon so I should have them next week).
At 73 my skin is a tad wrinkled (go figure) and is paper thin. Slightest bump can bruise or rip the skin...ahhh the pleasures of growing old!
Yet, I feel the need for the more aggressive razors (but I still need smoothness too).
I think the Karve #E plate beats the Timeless .95 OC in face feel. Certainly a smoother shaving experience.
The Timeless wins in a closer shave though.
This will all change next week when I try the #F and #G plates!
I didn't buy any Karve OC plates because I simply don't like the look of them! Look a tad clunky to me. That's all that put me off buying them.
Now...have I helped or hindered anyone with my thoughts?
If anyone asked me what razor to buy (WR2, Timeless, or Karve) I'd have to say..."Get them all". Each razor brings something different to the party.
Life's too short to shag about and worry about the cost. Just get all 3 (standard P&C answer).

Thanks Blackie for your reply, much appreciated.

I am daily shaving with the F plate on the Karve at the moment and without doubt is my favourite. The G plate is great as a 3 day shaver, and the E is also good for daily, but the F for me as a daily is perfect.

I think I would require the 1.25 or 1.35 WR2 to satisfy my needs. I like the timeless as well, to me Karve F plate is more efficient and smoother.

Thanks Blackie for your reply, much appreciated.

I am daily shaving with the F plate on the Karve at the moment and without doubt is my favourite. The G plate is great as a 3 day shaver, and the E is also good for daily, but the F for me as a daily is perfect.

I think I would require the 1.25 or 1.35 WR2 to satisfy my needs. I like the timeless as well, to me Karve F plate is more efficient and smoother.
How can you shave daily (everyday) using the F base plate, I can only use a C as a daily driver. Your skin and stubble must be tough as a copper wire.

Horse are you trying to tell us, that you LOVE becoming a HAIRY OLD FART angry cat

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: WR2 1.25
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: 2-Band Silvertip badger
Soap: B&M Cheshire

These blades are awesome, they were smoother than the polsilver I used yday but that don’t mean much as it may of well been on its 3rd use, either way excellent blades and paired with a nice lather delivered a very smooth and comfy bbs..

50378248136_f89e2c13d4_b.jpg

m2Bltmt.jpg

Thursday‌ ‌09.24.20 ‌SOTD‌
Gillette ‘50s British Rocket HD 500
NOS Wlkinson Sword Made in England
RazoRock KEYHOLE Plissoft Synthetic
Arko Shaving Soap puck
Taylor‌ ‌of‌ ‌Old‌ ‌Bond‌ ‌Street‌ ‌Bay‌ ‌Rum‌ ‌Aftershave‌

Last edited:
Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Thiers Issard silvertip with natural horn handle
Soap:- Reef Point Soaps - Submariner
Razor:- Charcoal Goods Lvl2 Gen 1 Brass with Torpedo Handle
Blade:- GSB (1)
Post-shave:- Reef Point Soaps - Submariner

Rc6AgL2.jpg

Should I risk these random no name blades tomorrow?
What's the worse that can happen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And does that provide some kind of assurance of their quality? Blade itself is completely unmarked when taken out of its wrapper.
I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow in the 6S and see how it goes.
They’re made in the same factory in Germany similar to the Merkur brand.

images

IMG-20200924-185627.jpg

Brush: Yaqi 30mm tuxedo
Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5)
Soap: Mikes Natural Soaps Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Pre: Shower + PAA Prickly Pear mentholated pre-shave soap
Post: Mr Royal cologne // Nivea For Men Creme // Stirling Soap Co. Unscented balm
ATG, XTG, WTG = DFS

A quick shave with the neglected slant and good balance between smoothness and efficiency...
Happy shaves!

Status
Not open for further replies.