Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it accept Ladas or Voskhod blades? I basically only use those 2 blades and have a rule, that a razor that doesn't work with either of those, does not work for me :D:D:D

Like a lot of Rocnel razors it has been designed around the Feather blade. I have used the Ladas in mine and the advertising blurb also quotes the Voskhold as being suitable. I thought it was the pick of the three stainless steel adjustables but the one thing I did not like was what I thought was the lack of thread engagement between the handle and the cap.

WLY2b7N.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: La Toja
Razor: ATT SE1 / UFO Tornado
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (4)
Post: Thursday Plantation Tea Tree & Witch Hazel, CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave
Scent: Alvarez Gomez Barbaria

One of those iconic soaps that I was always gonna get around to trying, but hadn't as yet. Well, I can tick this one off, and what an impressive soap.
I loaded the stick to my wet face for about 30 seconds as per normal for me, and slowly added water as I lathered. Very easy to generate lather, and a subtle clean scent.
Performance was very good, nice razor glide and slickness. The lather was dissipating a little at the back end of the 3rd pass, but this may have been due to underloading.
Three passes for a very comfortable BBS result. Post shave was pleasant; not quite as moisturising as some of my best soaps.
Clearly a soap that deserves its reputation, and a bargain at the price.
La toja is a pretty good soap, and certainly so inexpensive in Spain. Unfortunately it has suffered some reformulaltions and changes, as it is no longer a Spanish brand, as it is own by big worldwide company, and the soap is actually made no more in Spain, but in East Europe. I have used it since I started to shave as a youngster, and I have use it trough the different formulations. Unfortunately I was just shaving, not enjoying or paying attention to the product, so I cannot compare old soaps from more than 2 decades ago, when I started shaving, with the current ones, but current one is certainly good and, from a Spanish point of view, certainly worth as you can get it sometimes for about 1 euro the 50 gr stick. The cost abroad is much more expensive. Another great advantage is that its subtle scent wont interfere with splashes or parfums.
cheers

Fer

Like a lot of Rocnel razors it has been designed around the Feather blade. I have used the Ladas in mine and the advertising blurb also quotes the Voskhold as being suitable. I thought it was the pick of the three stainless steel adjustables but the one thing I did not like was what I thought was the lack of thread engagement between the handle and the cap.
That's very interesting...so you mean the thread is too short or the fitting not accurate enough?

In any case, if a opportunity arises in the future , I will certainly add it to the den ;)

That's very interesting...so you mean the thread is too short or the fitting not accurate enough?

In any case, if a opportunity arises in the future , I will certainly add it to the den ;)

To me it feels like everything is holding on one thread. I would like to see the thread on the cap to be 3/ 4mm longer thus more engagement. I’ve not heard of any threads failing but I store mine undone without any pressure on it.

Date: 16 February 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Arko (4 shaving sticks grated into a 250ml plastic tub)
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Rocket HD500 made in England 1950's / Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword #10
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / WAHL Bay Rum Aftershave Splash
Fragrance:- L'Eau Bleue D'issey Pour Homme

12 days to go for the whole month of Arko February shave.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Tony Forysth P&C LE Platypus shaving brush
Soap/Cream: The one, the only, ARKO! shaving soap
Razor: Vintage NEW head (replated) on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (1)
Post-shave: AoS Sandalwood Aftershave Gel
Fragrance: Penhaligons Halfeti

For those playing along at home - today is SUNDAY. Sleep in should you wish to :)

A bonus of the ARKO! February is getting to use aftershaves I tend to ignore when I use a 'set'. This AoS gel is not my favourite, but it is one of my favourites - my wife purchased it when on a trip by herself to the US a few years ago.

r3fZITPl.jpg

To me it feels like everything is holding on one thread. I would like to see the thread on the cap to be 3/ 4mm longer thus more engagement. I’ve not heard of any threads failing but I store mine undone without any pressure on it.
Thank you for this insight (y)

zjU0Xejh.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Max MkII
Brush: 26mm TF HMW
Razor: Brucke
AS: Pb Max MkII
Previously this razor had only been honed with tape but I had noted on the last hone that on one side this left the blade with an extremely thin bevel. I thought it was time to rectify the problem but wasn't quite prepared for how much time I would have to spend on the Atoma 1200# plate and the Naniwa 1000# stone. There's still a very small section of thin bevel on one side of the blade but there's also the desire to preserve metal. It's nice to maintain a pristine looking razor but if spine wear means the blade can be honed without doing pressure gymnastics then I opt for spine wear.
The Brucke is a Solingen blade of Swedish steel and is a beautiful razor to use.

February Slant/s SOTM

IMAG0374.jpg

Brush: Omega 24mm
Head: Omnishaver
Razor: Maggard Slant + RR bamboo handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet (10)
Soap: RR xXx

A quick head/face shave in the shower. Smooth and efficient... Happy shaves!

KarveD w/Polsilver
DS Cosmetic tuxedo flat top
MWF
Gaia ASB

These flat top brushes are just awesome! Very unique in face feel and in function!

The shave itself was sublime but I have ingrowns right on my jaw line and just below the chin from that horrid, blunt voshkod blade!! :mad:

20190217-091909-01.jpg

Pre-shave - Shower and Occam's pre-shave soap.
Brush - Mühle K35-252 Synthetic.
Soap - ARKO !
Razor - Rockwell 6C, plate 5.
Blade - Feather. (1)
Post-shave - Alum block and Geo F. Trumper, Sandalwood Skin food.
Fragrance - TOBS Sandalwood Aftershave Splash.

17 days down, 11 days to go with the Arko.

Getting towards the end of the challenge!

17 days down, 11 days to go with the Arko.

Getting towards the end of the challenge!

Nothing to stop you keeping going until the stick is finished ;)

Date: 17 February 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Arko (4 shaving sticks grated into a 250ml plastic tub)
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Rocket HD500 made in England 1950's / Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword #11
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / WAHL Bay Rum Aftershave Splash
Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water Wave

:banghead: ..11 days to go for the whole month of Arko February shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.