Share Trading

Gimli

Any members here into share trading?

Just pulled a substantial amount from my portfolio, after having lost around $15k in the last week and looking to put a little bit into trading after a suggestion from a friend. The rest I'll likely put into a term deposit

Consumer Staples, Energy and Health Care are the sectors I'm looking at. The market is very complex and I'm looking for any tips?

Particularly trading platforms, pros/cons etc I have CommSec (as I'm a Commbank customer) but open to others

Looking long term

Thanks

MOD NOTE:

Before you respond -

"Factual information is objectively ascertainable information, the truth or accuracy of which cannot reasonably be questioned" - this is welcomed.

"Financial product advice generally involves a qualitative judgement about or an evaluation, assessment or comparison of some or all of the features of a financial product" - this is a no-no.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I'd say if blue chip stocks have halfed then if you can afford it then you could assume eventually that you would double your money when the madness finishes. *disclaimer I'm not a financial advisor and do not promote that you follow this advise, I also don't and won't take any responsibility of your actions.

I personally just invest in broad market ETFs, not the most exciting but historically does well and has a good chance of out performing many mutuals.
I’ve left all my cash in the market and am looking to get more in, you don’t often get a 30% discount.

In my view, this is the beginning of the end of the decade long bull market. I'm waiting on the sidelines for now as I believe there will be better buying opportunities.

In terms of which broker to use, you just can't beat interactive brokers!

These guys have dirt cheap brokerage rates and are huge! A lot of commercial trading houses, brokers and fund managers use them!

I personally just invest in broad market ETFs, not the most exciting but historically does well and has a good chance of out performing many mutuals.
I’ve left all my cash in the market and am looking to get more in, you don’t often get a 30% discount.

I'm a LIC guy myself, those sweet franked dividends make me smile. Although shares I have are for the kids and are on dividend reinvestment plans.

30% discount relative to the recent Bull market. Most are now sitting where they were a couple of years ago. So still not into catastrophic territory, but we'll down off the peak. The rate we have seen the market drop and the compounding falls is unusual. But there have been some upswings too.

I've been focused on paying off the mortgage the last few years might be time to slow down on that and start buying a few shares.

I have been buying - both ASX and US markets however I am only nibbling here and there on dividend cash in the US right now due to free brokerage. Slowly averaging down wherever possible as a number of my positions are well down, mostly travel-related.

Otherwise, I am accumulating cash. Ready for the next drop coming in 2-3 months when the next round of US quarterly reports hit. At this stage, simply suggest you wait it out and see what happens. Chinese numbers are already showing 25% declines.

Honestly, timing the market is a bad idea, consistent investing over time is what is going to get you ahead. The only time you 'lose' is to pull out during a downturn as you crystalise your 'on-paper' losses. That said, you could come back into the market in 2-3 months and end up with a much larger position. there are many ways to play the game.

I was having a bit of a look around last night and noticed NAB, Westpac and CBA have had big price falls off the peak. They are sitting at 11% franked return. Share prices have recovered today but still near double digit returns.

Aside from the general chaos on global markets is there something fundamental I have missed by not watching the news?

I was having a bit of a look around last night and noticed NAB, Westpac and CBA have had big price falls off the peak. They are sitting at 11% franked return. Share prices have recovered today but still near double digit returns.

Aside from the general chaos on global markets is there something fundamental I have missed by not watching the news?

Woolworths share prices are doing okay.. who knew toilet roll was what keeps them afloat.

I am doing okay at the moment but there are some stocks swinging wildly in my portfolio.

Currently averaging down on certain stocks, and there is only a couple which I got in at the bottom and have been slowly rising which I have kept accumulating also. There are bargains out there if you look.

*shrug* I just keep buying my VAS and VESG and let the good times roll.

Shouldn’t have any issues with that time frame