Rockwell 6S or 6C

tim33z

King of 'Spoilers' 2019!
Grand Society
2018 Sabbatical Fail
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for any feedback on the Rockwell razors from anyone here who has one (or both).
I'll be pulling the trigger on one of them but want to gauge opinions on which they prefer, or why they bought the one they have.
I have read that the 6C is ever so slightly smoother than the 6S, but wonder if this would be evident during a shave.

Thanks!

I own the 6S. The main reason I choose the S over the C was that it looked different to my EJ DE89, also I had a bit of extra pocket money at the time from a work bonus.

I can see the C being smoother run over the skin due to the finish, the S being cast has a rougher finish, but by the end of the first shave I did not notice the difference (compared to the EJ DE89). The main thing I notice is the weight, it is a heavy bugger compared to the EJ DE89. I have read the C is not much lighter though.

I can't speak to the 6C, but if you get a 6S you will not be disappointed. It gives the smoothest shaves (I am yet to go higher then plate 4 so far).

I would assume they use the same design to make the patterns, so I guess they would shave identical.

Thanks @SpeedyPC
Is there much difference in your opinion?
Not really and I wouldn't worry too much about the 6c top cap is smoother than the 6s top cap, I've notices the 6s top cap is not smoother than the 6c because I have both.

Besides I've noticed a huge difference is the weight of the 6s vs 6c, but the shaving performance for each base plate are 100% the same side by side.

Edit:- 6c is cheaper to buy than the 6s ;)

You can't go wrong with getting a 6S for the price, build quality and consistent shaves it provides. If you seek a 'daily' shaver that also allows you to achieve great shaves no matter your beard growth then the 6S is for you.

It's heavier than the 6C and resembles the Colonial General SE in finish/weight but that allows the razor to do all the work for you, so all you do is drive the thing all the way to a comfortable shave! The 6C looks lovely but why settle for a EJ DE89 with different plates when you can get a SS razor that's built to last and gives you an excellent shave - YMMV but pound for pound it's one of the best razor's out there!

Unless you polish the top cap yourself :) I didn't go the whole hog with compounds, dremel etc. and it came up a treat still. You could spend the extra time and really get a mirror finish on the externals (I avoided anything internal that may impact the shaving angle).

6C chrome coated and will last a long time, 6S Stainless and last several lifetimes. 6C will be slightly smoother, however the 6S is still one of the smoothest shavers I have, even compared to other chrome models.

Thanks for the responses on this!
I am now leaning towards the 6S from these comments!

Am I allowed to ask where people purchased theirs from on here? As with most things, always on the lookout for the best price!

I haven't tried the 6C but have the 6S. Having something that will last a lifetime is worth the extra for me.

Edit: I got mine from Rockwell during their Valentine's Day sale. 20% off.

Last edited:
ministry of shave
This is probably where I’m looking but also seen that Rockwell do free international shipping. Xe.com show the exchange rate about $117. I’m normally pretty impatient with these types of purchases so will probably buy domestic!

The other thing I wanted to know was if the gunmetal 6C version looks nice as it would contrast my 34C on the shelf.

I've been using the 6s for a month now, can't beat it. Go Ministry of Shave!

No offense but if you're Iooking at buying a razor for how it looked, compared to others, instead of what sort of shave you get out of it you're probably asking the wrong question....

@tim33z need extra cash? no problem, ask baby pork chop :p:D

nl8Gcww.gif

Thanks for the responses on this!
I am now leaning towards the 6S from these comments!

Am I allowed to ask where people purchased theirs from on here? As with most things, always on the lookout for the best price!
I was going to buy it from Beard&Blade but they were out of stock so ended up get one from the Rockwell website. From memory I paid around $120 AUD but that was last year? A quick search shows B&B selling it for $150; StrayWhisker & Vshod both Out of Stock and Rockwell has it for $130.95 AUD (minus postage but 10% discount available). Cheapest is MinistryofShave at $140 (free postage). Hope that helps?!

Here's my recent review...

My original 6S review can be found here:
My review of the Rockwell 6S adjustable razor - Tapatalk

Eithteen months later, I'n still loving the 6S razor. I pretty much use R3 daily as my skin handles it very well and I get a daily BBS. R4 is awesome but my skin can't handle it daily, even though the shave itself leaves my skin like glass!!

A few months ago, I thought I'd get the 6C as I really wanted a Rockwell for travel but didn't want to travel with the 6S. So, I got the 6C set and after a coupld of uses, I can say it shaves basically as well as the 6S. It's less hefty (98g vs 115g for the 6S) but still beautifully balanced. The chrome/gunmetal finish is flawless and at the price point, I could never even think to recommend the usual beginner razors to people (DE89, R89, HD34C etc etc).

I have no doubt the razor will last a long time given the excellent quality of the finish. I'd still reommend the 6S to anyone looking for a recommendation and the only time I'd recommend the 6C is either to a beginner who doesn't know if they wish to invest $100 in a razor, or for people who want the perfect travel razor.

Since I love R3 for daily shaves, I sold the 6C and got a 2C (comes with just the R1/3 plate) and it's just perfect. It sits in my travel kit so doesn't get used very often at all but whenever I do need to travel anywhere, I'm very glad I have the perfect razor handy, along with my TurnNshave synth brush and MWF/Speick sticks.

My favourite adjustable razor is still the Merkur Progress, mainly due to its ultimate intuitive cutting angle but I use the 6S equally and love the fact that it's an adjustable razor without any moving parts and therefore, very little that can go wrong.

Some have mentioned they dislike the tool-like look of the 6S. In this case, the chrome version would probably suit better but I just love the utilitarian, understated look of the 6S...infact, I feel it to be the best looking razor (I don't really like shiny looking things).
If they brought it out in matte black...I'd be the first to buy one!!

Oh, one thing I would also mention is that anyone considering either the 2C or 6C, I really would never recommend the 2C unless you already know you like the R1 and/or R3 plates (As I did). Just add the 20 bucks to the 2C and get the 6C. You will get the full kit with total flexibility of settings. Since the Rockwell shaves so smoothly, you may even find you like higher settings than what you thought you would.

I hope that helps for anyone interested in the 6S (ref. original review link) or wants to know a bit about th 6C and how it compares to the 6S.