Recommend me a good beginner razor

J.Mac

2018 Sabbatical Fail
Hi all.
I currently use cartridges or a straight if i have the time, the problem is i rarely have the time to slowly shave with a straight.

I am therefore considering purchasing a safety razor to try.

What would be a solid razor/blade combo to invest in? (<$100)

Would it be a wise idea to source a good quality second hand razor as opposed to a cheaper new one?

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks @SpeedyPC,
How would a razor like this differ from the more expensive ones?

Cheers

Depends if you want a very very mild to a very aggressive razor quality and weight, if you want something right in the middle (mild) grab Merkur 34C or 38C two piece razor starting from around $70 to 80 AUD.

RazoRock Mission 3-Piece Double Edge (DE) Safety Razor is very mild and it has the perfect weight and balance against the R89, DE89 and 34C I've own.

Last edited:
The Razorock Mission is a well regarded razor and excellent value.

I'll also put it out there that I have an Edwin Jagger 89 and a Merkur 1904 for sale on this forum here. Both great condition.
You are in Melbourne so you could pick up from me if that worked.

Merkur 34c or Edwin Jagger DE89 are a really good starting point. If I was you I would be jumping all over @Psmith Edwin Jagger DE89, if that had of been around when I was looking for my first safety razor I would have snapped it up.

Hi all.
I currently use cartridges or a straight if i have the time, the problem is i rarely have the time to slowly shave with a straight.

Would it be a wise idea to source a good quality second hand razor as opposed to a cheaper new one?

Cheers
The safety razors recommended for those starting out would be the Merkur 34c or Edwin Jagger DE89 that have been repeatedly mentioned. They are a solid starting point.
As has been pointed out several times, one of those razors is for sale on this forum here at a good price. It comes with a few packs on blades and you could try and ask for a few more different types of blades through in as a rough starter kit. There's also some sample packs available for newcomers here.

Usually those who wield a straight prefer a more efficient style of safety razor, but those two recommended above will start you well on your journey to find "that" razor for you...
The Razorock Mission and other $30 or so razors found here or there and even sometimes here are all good value. But the best value is a second hand razor that's been well cared for (or vintage razor IMO)... ;)

Hi all.

Cheers

hi,

I'd like to recommend a great little razor that cost under 12$, the Wilkinson Sword Classic. It's made of black delrin and has a metal rod inside the handle, the design is slick and give a smooth shave. Don't be fooled by the plastic looking, it's well made & has a good weight.

Just give me your credit card details leave it to me I'll sort you out a Razor for all conditions that will fit perfectly in the hand be extremely well balnced be mild or agressive and have an engineering pedigree, trust me. And I'm not biased towards any one Razor of course well maybe I am but those that know will allow me to be LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Just give me your credit card details leave it to me I'll sort you out a Razor for all conditions that will fit perfectly in the hand be extremely well balnced be mild or agressive and have an engineering pedigree, trust me. And I'm not biased towards any one Razor of course well maybe I am but those that know will allow me to be LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
You're not called @FatBoy58 for no reason eh?! [emoji13]

I started with a 34C and later added a DE89. I still use them as they are top quality shavers. Vintage wise a 40's or 50's Super Speed or an early Tech would also be a great way to enter the game.

Merkur 34C "Heavy Duty" or Edwin Jagger DE89/Kelvin. I've got both and can recommend them both for a beginner. Same as @Ptr74 - started with 34C and added EJ Kelvin. Kelvin has the same DE89 head, but handle similar to 34C. Shorter and heavier than typical EJ DE89.