Pre shave oil?

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Does anyone use a pre shave oil/gel/whatever?
Been reading about it. Thought I might play with this.
'If you don't try you don't learn' sort of thing.
I know there's good cheap stuff, and good dear stuff (and some woeful stuff too).
Thought I might try something cheap like this maybe.

https://fineshave.co.nz/products/tfs-rasozero-agrumella-pre-shave-cream-100ml

What's your thoughts?
If you have never used a pre shave oil then you probably will be no help at all.
But maybe some of you have used 'something' and can recommend it (all in the interests of science of course).

Yeah, I wondered about that. My 'Gentleman's Quarter' soaps give a great lather and I couldn't see what a 'pre shave' oil might do better.
Maybe it works with some soaps that are not that flash in 'slip and slide'.

Lots of variables there so you need to find what works for you.

I find coconut oil works well for me pre straight razor shave.

I made my own pre shave emulsion (PSE) which is just an ultra super fatted soap which I find helps but isn't entirely necessary. Like others have said, a good quality soap is the main factor.

Emu oil is also worth trying, other oils will work as well but emu is excellent for healing so good if you have any skin issues.

I've tried oil and the result was OK but I didn't like the feel or the residue, I have the Razorock and PAA cubes and I like them both a lot.

FWIW, I recommend prep with a glycerine soap. The soap cleans & hydrates the whiskers as well as adding a layer of slickness to your skin. Simply wet the whiskers and then either make a lather with the soap and apply to the whiskers, or use the soap like a shave stick and then make a lather. Rub the lather into the whiskers and rinse (or leave on and apply your shaving lather).

You should be able to buy some glycerine soap in NZ. Just beware of any that contain ingredients that are unnecessary or contrary to your purpose.

Olive oil soap , plus Mitchells Wool Fat bath soap also are possible candidates, but honestly I have never felt a difference between shower/ no shower , pre shave/ no preshave, hot water/ cold water