MWF - where is the issue? with me or the fat?

StratMan

This is the third night i a row trying to get this stupid soap to lather and tonight I put an extra shift in and gave it two separate goes with differing techniques

warm tap water, distilled water, wet boar, lansky hd syth, face lathered and bowl lathered.. tried twice but both attempts produced absolute garbage lather. Basically the lather is airy and light (like mousse) that literally vanishes into thin air within one minute of applying to the face.

I cant see myself being that hopeless that I cannot lather this soap or the soap is this difficult to use, so am starting to think there is something wrong with this puck. I have heard there were some production issues at some point that describes what I have gone through... or I really am this hopeless?

anyone know what these numbers relate too and when year of manufacture was?

52385695295_8ae41c6556_c.jpg

I have what I assume are batch/serial numbers printed on the inside of the MWF packaging. The puck that came with the ceramic lid has number 8287 and the refill puck has number 8858

I really think you start with too much water and/or don't load long enough...that's all there is to it...

Scrape the airy mess on the side of the tub back onto the puck...work it until it is pasty - only then start to add bits of water

This is the third night i a row trying to get this stupid soap to lather and tonight I put an extra shift in and gave it two separate goes with differing techniques

warm tap water, distilled water, wet boar, lansky hd syth, face lathered and bowl lathered.. tried twice but both attempts produced absolute garbage lather. Basically the lather is airy and light (like mousse) that literally vanishes into thin air within one minute of applying to the face.

I cant see myself being that hopeless that I cannot lather this soap or the soap is this difficult to use, so am starting to think there is something wrong with this puck. I have heard there were some production issues at some point that describes what I have gone through... or I really am this hopeless?

I have what I assume are batch/serial numbers printed on the inside of the MWF packaging. The puck that came with the ceramic lid has number 8287 and the refill puck has number 8858
I don't suppose there's any change in the ingredients list, is there?

Giving up is an option. :)

I took that option myself. The puck was half used when I finally relegated it to bath soap duty. Lathering it wasn't a problem for me, but the overall shave quality just wasn't nearly as good as the other soaps in my rotation (SV, MDC etc..) so it was being used less and less. The ceramic dish is quite nice though, I've grated a few half used shave sticks in it so it's made itself useful.

patience-young.gif

The FAT has a learning curve, keep trying @StratMan load the bloody FAT like you hate the bastard soap like HELL.

You need MOAR product, MOAR!!!!
Couldn’t agree more, you need to put a “hurtin” on the puck. Try loading with your brush a bit drier than you normally would too.

I am not one to give up so I gave it another go.. this time i used the refill puck and boy was this a different experience..

got out 'purple haze' just wet the tips a little and began on the puck.. didnt over do it just 20 odd seconds this time and started to build the lather in the bowl.. within a minute or two the lather built up quite well which was very surprising.. Just touched the brush tips into the water (normal tap water) and gave it a little shake, then back to bowl.. did this 3 more times and got a decent lather.. so much so I went straight to the sink, with zero prep apart from splashing a touch of water on my face and shaved with it using the BB

lather was stable and very nice, not the best I have made but I am sure I can build on this and improve going forward..

was it a fluke? not sure but will try another lather with the puck in the ceramic tub and see if I can duplicate it.. if not then there is an issue with the puck that came with the ceramic bowl, cant be anything else

post shave feel is quite nice (y)

@alfredus you might be right.. i didnt load heaps but brush was pretty dry this time, or the puck is bad.. i'll try again the same and will soon know

@Gargravarr dont think so but I did find out there was a bad batch made in 2020 that was corrected

@Hos Its hard for me to give up, I am quite stubborn but if it does fail the bowl is def nice

@SpeedyPC might of gotten there mate, patience isnt an attribute of mine but stubborness is so'll keep working on it

@Charlie if the first puck was ok, a dryer brush was key otherwise its the puck.. will know soon

I do absolutely love Tabac.. might give this super convo a go :cool:

so i gave both tubs another crack and can tell my technique has improved.. first up was ceramic tub + puck.. got a better lather than earlier but had to work hard at it and still just ok

gave refill puck 2 another crack and wow!!! this lather looked amazing, below is my pic and this certainly looked lush and not airy.. only took a 20 second load and take a look at the amount of lather.. def need to start with a brush on the drier side and add water a little at a time.. looking forward to the next few shaves and no distilled water used in the last two lathers, just adelaide water straight from the tap

52385684238_f7f2a30591_b.jpg

the refill tub is def different from the ceramic tub puck.. absolutely love the smell of the soap too.. nothing really scented just a nice clean soapy scent

so i gave both tubs another crack and can tell my technique has improved.. first up was ceramic tub + puck.. got a better lather than earlier but had to work hard at it and still just ok

gave refill puck 2 another crack and wow!!! this lather looked amazing, below is my pic and this certainly looked lush and not airy.. only took a 20 second load and take a look at the amount of lather.. def need to start with a brush on the drier side and add water a little at a time.. looking forward to the next few shaves and no distilled water used in the last two lathers, just adelaide water straight from the tap

the refill tub is def different from the ceramic tub puck.. absolutely love the smell of the soap too.. nothing really scented just a nice clean soapy scent

giphy.gif

Maybe your supplier might come to the party with a replacement/refund if you mention this to them?

That's some top notch lather mate! (y)