Muhle R95 Rocca Birch

MrT

Commander of Soap
State Rep - NSW
Group Buy Associate
Hey all

Just trying to catch up on 5 years of wetshaving developments.

When browsing various threads of new razors on the market, one caught my eye… the Muhle Rocca R95 with birch handle.

I have a few questions.

1) Is it as stunning in real life as it looks in the pictures?

2) What’s the shave like?

3) Doesn’t the birch bark eventually break apart?

4) Is the handle stainless steel (excluding the birch)?

5) The stainless handle is also stunning… which do you prefer?

Thanks y’all.

Hey all

When browsing various threads of new razors on the market, one caught my eye… the Muhle Rocca R95 with birch handle.

I have a few questions.

Thanks y’all.
Greetings, as somebody who owns the R94, R95 and R96 my high opinions of the Rocca V4 are well know so I'll do my best to answer your questions:

1) The Birch Bark looks as good as it feels and has held up with regular use after applying some oil but this isn't really necessary. One of the nicest handles I've seen and I'm a stickler for shinny metals having owned, copper, brass, bronze, titanium, wooden razors/brushes the Birch Bark is super unique.

2) For me the Rocca V4 is my favourite DE razor as the shaves are very rewarding with performance between the DE89 (smoothness) and R41 (efficiency). Premium results when using Wizamet Super Iridium, Gillette Minora/Red & White Stainless/Yellow's or BIC chrome blades as the shave can feel harsh using other blades so YMMV.

3) The Birch Bark feels like cork so super grippy when wet yet its manufactured to resemble the material you find with canoe's so built to last and repel water. I've yet to see any mention of long term damage which isn't to say it won't happen but after nearly a year I'm happy to report my R95 is as good as new.

4) Razor + handle is all Stainless Steel with vast improvements made to V4 with CNC machining as opposed to QC issues with the earlier MIM versions. Unsure of what type SS but they all feel sturdy and clean up well after use.

5) Of the versions I find the all SS R94 feels the best with matte finish yet the R95 Birch Bark gets points for sentimental value and is lighter due to the bark but still nice in hand. The R96 is nice with the black finish on the handle and I gave mine a light polish on the SS parts to leave it looking shinny.

Overall the Rocca V4 provides great value if your after a mid-aggressive razor that sits perfectly between the milder DE89 for smoothness and is just as efficient as the beastly R41 but without the blade feel. Very comfortable to sue as daily shaver and if I had to trade all my current razors I'd happily keep the R94, R95 and my Vector which tells you how highly I rate the Rocca V4... Happy Shaves!

Last edited:
I’ve had my rocca birch for about a year and a bit now.

I second everything said above. I don’t even oil the handle and it looks and feels fine. I think the Rocca series is the best looking mass produced (non artisan) razor for the price, especially considering it’s actual shaving performance.

I’ve had my rocca birch for about a year and a bit now.

I second everything said above. I don’t even oil the handle and it looks and feels fine. I think the Rocca series is the best looking mass produced (non artisan) razor for the price, especially considering it’s actual shaving performance.
Yeah I'll admit there's absolutely no reason to oil the handle as its more an OCD thing than the handle showing any wear. Its amazing how Muhle managed to get the texture so well and I'd love to add a matching brush handle yet Muhle don't make then with larger knots. :cry:

I have a few Roccas and love this razor, also agree with all @Razor Burn said except that the efficiency is that of the R41.. it is still quite efficient but in my opinion the R41 is a step up in efficiency but no way near as smooth.

The Rocca is so smooth I can perform 4 passes, two of which are atg and end up with a perfectly uniform BBS without any issues. I also love the look of all three.

Favourite blades in the razor are the wizamet/polsilver and BIC

My R95 is over a year old and in perfect condition and I never oil the handle. The material is actually birch bark which is waterproof and should never wreck

I'm actually in day 3 of 3 with my roccas for SOTD and will post all SOTD pics today.

Hey all

I have a few questions.

Thanks y’all.

Just to be more specific to your points

1) Absolutely, the Birch Bark razor is unique and a thing of beauty.. Also feels totally different in the hand to any other razor I have.

2) As already mentioned the shave is incredible. Super smooth, plenty efficient and is excellent around the neck / Adams apple area. Always get BBS with two ATG passes and its a uniform shave.

3) The birch bark as mentioned is used in Canoes, so it water proof. I believe it will stay as good as it is new, but cant predict future. Mine is over 1 year old and still looks new as I bought it.

4) Yes full stainless steel and also hollow, weighs in at a total of 80g and feels perfectly balanced

5) That is a personal choice but for me, the Birch bark without any question of a doubt. IMHO not only is it stunning and nice to hold (with excellent grip) it is totally unique to any other razor I own.

good luck and let us know how you go (y)

Last edited:
WANT WANT WANT

951EEA84-D056-4371-9169-EA25E09E8C27.jpg

I've got the all stainless version,

handle has perfect length, razor itself has perfect weight and is definitely efficient. I wouldn't classify it anywhere near R41 though.

I also wouldn't classify it as DE89 smooth either. It can be very smooth, but in no way would I ever recommend it to a beginner.

Thanks all. I think I’ll get one :)
I think you won't regret it. I let go of mine partly because the handle was just a little too thick for my hand and partly because I'm finding my needs well filled by SE razors. But that doesn't stop me kicking myself from time to time... :rolleyes: It was perfect (for me) with the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow.

How is everyone getting on with the Muhle and birch handle as time moves along? I see this thread and it also got my attention. I see Mark had quite a honeymoon stage with his (and it does look good) and still using it regularly through last year. Last the distance as a daily driver?

How is everyone getting on with the Muhle and birch handle as time moves along? I see this thread and it also got my attention. I see Mark had quite a honeymoon stage with his (and it does look good) and still using it regularly through last year. Last the distance as a daily driver?

I still rate my Rocca's as excellent razor that provides a close smooth shave.. I do still enjoy a shave with them from time to time but my issue is that it is hard for anything to get in front of the BB and Wolf..

Still enjoy it now and then as well; I like to give my all razors a go so sometimes the rocca is less frequent on the rotation.