Muhle R95 Rocca Birch Bark Appreciation Thread

Nice info thanks.. and how about rosewood and ebony instrument necks?

What oil and how would u use it?
Interesting thought, I've never used anything on my violin or double bass necks. The makers typically use a colourless varnish, but of course that wears off. If I were to put anything at all on it (eg to repel dirt or sweat), I would probably use linseed oil for that too. But obviously immersion is not a good idea in this case.

I've never really thought about how may generations of hands have impregnated the necks of my instruments with their sweat and DNA... :unsure:

Don't ask I cannot explain, why? I was completely bloody speechless and totally GOBSMACK!!! :wideyed::jawdrop:

https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/shave-of-the-day-thread-2020.6006/post-173490

From a very mild shave:-

Vintage Gillette Tech & Feather AS-D2 & Rockwell R1 Base Plate
Rockwell R2 Base Plate
Fatip Testina Gentile Closed Comb
Edwin Jagger DE89 & Muhle R89 & Rockwell R3 Base Plate
Game Changer .68P
Merkur 34C (short handle) & 38C (long handle)
RazoRock MJ-90A
Merkur Slant 37C (short handle) & 39C (long handle)
Karve 'B' Base Plate
Game Changer .84P
Karve 'C' Base Plate & Rockwell R4 Base Plate
Edwin Jagger 3one6 <------------------------------ Sorry Edwin Jagger you've lost against the Muhle Rocca
Rockwell R5 Base Plate
Muhle Rocca v4.0 R94, R95 & R96 <---------------- Very very SMOOTH!!! :wideyed::jawdrop: as YMMV!!
Karve 'D' Base Plate
Rockwell R6 Base Plate
Fatip Grande Open Comb & Fatip Piccolo Open Comb, Schöne Italian Open Comb
Karve 'E' Base Plate
Muhle R41
Karve 'F' Base Plate
Karve 'G' Base Plate
iKon Tech

To very aggressive shave:-

200.webp
A0naZhi.gif
10.jpg
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Don't ask I cannot explain, why? I was completely bloody speechless and totally GOBSMACK!!! :wideyed::jawdrop:

https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/shave-of-the-day-thread-2020.6006/post-173490

Rockwell R2 Base Plate
Game Changer .68P
RazoRock MJ-90A
Karve 'B' Base Plate
Game Changer .84P
EJ 3one6 <------------------------------ Sorry Edwin Jagger you've lost against the Muhle Rocca
Rockwell R5 Base Plate
Muhle Rocca v4.0 R94, R95 & R96 <--- Very very SMOOTH!!! :wideyed::jawdrop:
Karve 'D' Base Plate
Rockwell R6 Base Plate
Karve 'E' Base Plate
Muhle R41
Karve 'F' Base Plate
Karve 'G' Base Plate
iKon Tech

200.webp
A0naZhi.gif
10.jpg
giphy.gif
Very interesting list @SpeedyPC. Thanks

Whilst I haven’t used many of these, I’d be interested to see where you’d rank the Yaqi slant. That is EASILY the most aggressive razor that had ever touched my face. I’ve seen others rank it more aggressive than the R41, so suspect it would land near the top of your list for aggression.

Hi all Rocca enablers, (you know who you are) what about under the jawline and in those hard to reach places? Does the Rocca require buffing?
I see others have already replied with there views but in my case I can say that the Rocca manages to shave my troublesome spots easily be it WTG, XTG, ATG and leaves me with 12+ hr even regrowth, where the R41 left spots due to buffing

Rockwell R2 Base Plate
Game Changer .68P
RazoRock MJ-90A
Karve 'B' Base Plate
Game Changer .84P
Edwin Jagger 3one6 <------------------------------ Sorry Edwin Jagger you've lost against the Muhle Rocca
Rockwell R5 Base Plate
Muhle Rocca v4.0 R94, R95 & R96 <---------------- Very very SMOOTH!!! :wideyed::jawdrop: as YMMV!!
Karve 'D' Base Plate
Rockwell R6 Base Plate
Karve 'E' Base Plate
Muhle R41
Karve 'F' Base Plate
Karve 'G' Base Plate
iKon Tech

200.webp
A0naZhi.gif
10.jpg
giphy.gif
Please define ''aggression'' as from personal experience there's no way the R6 plate is more aggressive than the Rocca V4 nor CG .84P for that matter!?

castle.jpg

If you're referring to blade feel than I'd place the Rocca just below the Karve SB D plate as its slightly more forgiving but more efficient. I'd assume the 3one6 would be the same as from all accounts they're quite similar... YMMV of course.

A great list and would add the PAA Alpha Ecliptic bakelite slant above the R41 as that things shaves super rough no matter the blades used!! (y)

Please define ''aggression'' as from personal experience there's no way the R6 plate is more aggressive than the Rocca V4 nor CG .84P for that matter!?

castle.jpg

If you're referring to blade feel than I'd place the Rocca just below the Karve SB D plate as its slightly more forgiving but more efficient. I'd assume the 3one6 would be the same as from all accounts they're quite similar... YMMV of course.
W6upFux.gif

Hi all Rocca enablers, (you know who you are) what about under the jawline and in those hard to reach places? Does the Rocca require buffing?

If your after BBS in 2 passes then I would say yes. If in 3 passes possibly not, YMMV. Rocca I can achieve DFS+ in 2 passes with a touch without going ATG. The only reason I won't call it a BBS is don't want to go ATG on my upper lip area on a daily basis. The Rocca is a solid Karve SB E plate on effciency, with a Karve SB C plate on smoothness. YMMV.

I can confirm it is both smoother and more efficient than an EJ 3one6, and Timeless 0.95, and about the same effciency, and smoother than an ES/Alpha Outlaw.

Would I buy another just for the birch bark handle NO :LOL:.

If your after BBS in 2 passes then I would say yes. If in 3 passes possibly not, YMMV. Rocca I can achieve DFS+ in 2 passes with a touch without going ATG. The only reason I won't call it a BBS is don't want to go ATG on my upper lip area on a daily basis. The Rocca is a solid Karve SB E plate on effciency, with a Karve SB C plate on smoothness. YMMV.

I can confirm it is both smoother and more efficient than an EJ 3one6, and Timeless 0.95, and about the same effciency, and smoother than an ES/Alpha Outlaw.

Would I buy another just for the birch bark handle NO :LOL:.
3e66cv.jpg

MINUS THE BIRCH BARK PART!!!

3e66cv.jpg

MINUS THE BIRCH BARK PART!!!

what he said (@Razor Burn)

I find the Rocca very smooth, much smoother than the T95 and more efficient. The plate 6 on the Rockwell I find both much less smoother and also much less efficient than plate 6.. Not even my WR2 gives me as good a shave as the Rocca :love::love::love:

The Birch Bark is on its way, there was no way I wasnt going to end up with the R95.. has to be one of the nicest looking razors I have ever seen. ATM for me the R96 is > that the R94 but the R95 may well become king.. need to see and feel it and then will decide.

Mühle Rocca Shaving Brush Birch Bark Silvertip
Mühle Rocca Birch Bark Razor
Mühle Rocca Shaving Brush & Safety Razor Stand

Thanks to Gifts & Care for 15% discount I have one sexy birch bark silvertip set in the post
Special mention to the ringleader @Mark1966 and his band of Rocca enablers @Razor Burn , @StratMan , @SpeedyPC , @rhodes96 , @tim33z , @Blackie , @RustyBlade