More advice please

gthomas04

...was Drubbing's first. AKA Captain Tightarse
About to go and play on Ebay again soon - Boar or Badger brush? Only brushes I own at the moment is the Mens biz starter kit one (and I have no idea what it is made from) and a yum cha taiwan brush that came with my Burts Bees (suspect it is synthetic).

I am awaiting my incredibly expensive silver tipped Badger (2.00) form China but would like any suggestions. Also I have noticed ,even in Egay, that Badgers in Aus are usually in the 3 figures region - much more affordable in US.

Glen (still posting lots)

In terms of bang-per-buck - I reckon it's hard to ignore New Forest brushes, his original 2201 model was a fairly convincing clone of a brush 4 times the price. Knots made to the spec of Peter (Fido) the man behind it and handles made for him near his home. New Forest Brushes

For a boar, you can't beat a semogue. A 1305 for a smaller softer brush, or a soc/2000 for a larger stiffer brush. About $30.
For a Badger, don't bother with the cheapies, but $70-80 will get you a simpson medium best badger brush, like the berkeley, the colonel, the commodore. They're the cheaper ones around £30

edit: link http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/shop/3/index.htm

So they should be under AU$100 delivered.

Edit2: Also if considering buying from overseas, postage from the UK is always faster and cheaper than postage from the US, so look to UK or european sellers first.

Last edited:
About to go and play on Ebay again soon - Boar or Badger brush? Only brushes I own at the moment is the Mens biz starter kit one (and I have no idea what it is made from) and a yum cha taiwan brush that came with my Burts Bees (suspect it is synthetic).

I am awaiting my incredibly expensive silver tipped Badger (2.00) form China but would like any suggestions. Also I have noticed ,even in Egay, that Badgers in Aus are usually in the 3 figures region - much more affordable in US.

Glen (still posting lots)

Use the el cheapo Chinese jobbie for a while to see what you think of the hair type. You might not like it. I know there are lots of different grades of badger hair but there is definitely a commonality that sets it apart from boar.

Use the el cheapo Chinese jobbie for a while to see what you think of the hair type. You might not like it. I know there are lots of different grades of badger hair but there is definitely a commonality that sets it apart from boar.

Yeah, get to know what you do and don't like about what you have, Then I'd agree with Pablo's sugestions, as any of those could address whatever preferences you have.

There is a place in the UK with Simpsons on clearance sale at the moment - some juicy prices here.

I actually like Pure Badger and am considering using a knot for a restore on a little travel brush handle. A bit scrubby but that just keeps you on your toes.