Inbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's quick service...my R95 is in Auckland already (from England).
Now it will slow down drastically as NZ Post farts about. Probably take over a week just to travel the last few hundred kilometres.
Will take the needed Covid protections though...wipe parcel down with alcohol wipes, open parcel, wipe down all items inside.
Then wash razor in hot soapy water (even though it's had an alcohol wipe). Dump all wrappings in the rubbish bin.
Don't want to take any chances with Covid nasties.
Then...lather up and try her out!

cant wait to hear your verdict mate.. I have a good feeling your gonna love it :)

It's arrived!
Parcel was a tad crushed, but everything safe inside.
No photos (who needs to to see more R95 pics anyway?).
It's currently sitting on my bench with a coat of 'Tru Oil' drying on the handle.
Probably give it another coat tomorrow (or maybe I'll just grab it, lather up and have at it).
Came with 20 free blades. 10 of 'Made in Israel' so I figure Personna, and 10 of Supershave X made in China. Oh, yeah...1 free Muhle blade which will never ever touch my lovely face!
The razor certainly does look great, and Missus hasn't growled so win, win for me.
Will bung in something fitting and worthy for first shave. maybe a Rubie, or GSB, or a Nacet.

It's arrived!
Parcel was a tad crushed, but everything safe inside.
No photos (who needs to to see more R95 pics anyway?).
It's currently sitting on my bench with a coat of 'Tru Oil' drying on the handle.
Probably give it another coat tomorrow (or maybe I'll just grab it, lather up and have at it).
Came with 20 free blades. 10 of 'Made in Israel' so I figure Personna, and 10 of Supershave X made in China. Oh, yeah...1 free Muhle blade which will never ever touch my lovely face!
The razor certainly does look great, and Missus hasn't growled so win, win for me.
Will bung in something fitting and worthy for first shave. maybe a Rubie, or GSB, or a Nacet.
Congrats Blackie!
I might have to get me some Tru Oil as I like to keep my gear looking shmick ;) I believe the website mentioned Personna blades so must be Reds???
Looking forward to seeing your thoughts + pic in the SOTD Thread... (y)

OK, first shave today with the R95.
Stirling Bay Rum, and a Nacet blade were the needed accessories, plus the Yaqi Rainbow pony knot 26mm.
It's smooth, and a nice shave. Did my usual 2 pass and a touch of buffing.
About stainless Karve #D plate (maybe?). I think the Karve #E plate is a tad closer in shaving ability.
Will need more shaves with it, and try different blades too.
Certainly no effort to use, has a good 'voice' with that blade overhang and you will hear it sing as you shave. Intuitive angle to find. What's not too like?
Is it my grail razor? No, but it's a keeper. Very refined, with just a touch of blade feel.
I like it, and it will be my go-to for a couple of weeks to test it with different blades, soaps, etc.
The Birchbark handle has a slight sheen to it from the Tru Oil I used. Put on 2 coats just to stop the eventual travel of soap residue, etc getting into the pores of the bark material.
To me it's light weight. After the stainless Timeless, and Karve this R95 is light and very nimble.
Pleased I bought it, and will be a keeper (thanks to all the 'enablers'...you know who you are!).

OK, first shave today with the R95.
Stirling Bay Rum, and a Nacet blade were the needed accessories, plus the Yaqi Rainbow pony knot 26mm.
It's smooth, and a nice shave. Did my usual 2 pass and a touch of buffing.
About stainless Karve #D plate (maybe?). I think the Karve #E plate is a tad closer in shaving ability.
Will need more shaves with it, and try different blades too.
Certainly no effort to use, has a good 'voice' with that blade overhang and you will hear it sing as you shave. Intuitive angle to find. What's not too like?
Is it my grail razor? No, but it's a keeper. Very refined, with just a touch of blade feel.
I like it, and it will be my go-to for a couple of weeks to test it with different blades, soaps, etc.
The Birchbark handle has a slight sheen to it from the Tru Oil I used. Put on 2 coats just to stop the eventual travel of soap residue, etc getting into the pores of the bark material.
To me it's light weight. After the stainless Timeless, and Karve this R95 is light and very nimble.
Pleased I bought it, and will be a keeper (thanks to all the 'enablers'...you know who you are!).

Congratulations on the purchase and great write up!
I'm looking forward to receiving my R95 soon and should have the R96 waiting for me when I get home... :unsure:
Out of curiosity, where did you get the Tru Oil from as I found Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil online but wasn't sure if its the same thing...?

I found Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil online but wasn't sure if its the same thing...?
Yes, that's the stuff. I bought mine from the local Hunting & Fishing shop.
Great on wood surfaces. Covers scratches on lovely wooden dining table (damn grandkids!), or for gun stocks, etc.
Makes a great finish on a guitar/banjo/ukulele too. Maybe @StratMan needs some for his R95 and his guitars!

Yes, that's the stuff.
Great on wood surfaces. Covers scratches on lovely wooden dining table (damn grandkids!), or for gun stocks, etc.
Makes a great finish on a guitar/banjo/ukulele too. Maybe @StratMan needs some for his R95 and his guitars!
I already bought some of the Brass Black for the Charcoal Goods and noticed they sell a lot of finishing products so will have to get me some Tru-Oil. Cheers! (y)

Yes, that's the stuff. I bought mine from the local Hunting & Fishing shop.

cheers for that Blackie, will look into getting some

glad you enjoyed the R95 (y)

@StratMan I had an old Fender Telecaster years ago. The back of the neck was pretty gungy from previous owner.
Sanded it down, couple of coats of Tru-Oil which I wire wooled to make it more 'satin' finish...and the guitar was transformed.
Lovely neck to play after that.
So Tru-Oil is good for R95 and guitars too.

@StratMan I had an old Fender Telecaster years ago. The back of the neck was pretty gungy from previous owner.
Sanded it down, couple of coats of Tru-Oil which I wire wooled to make it more 'satin' finish...and the guitar was transformed.
You've convinced me so I placed an order from a local seller and expect it to arrive before my R95 does. :banghead:

@Razor Burn when you open the Tru-Oil just pierce a wee hole in the foil disc.
No need to remove the whole thing. I do my gunstocks with my fingers and whole hand as the body warmth helps open the pores of the wood.
For the R95 I just put a few drops onto an old cloth rag and wiped the handle. Then a clean wipe over the metal bits to keep them free from the oil though (it will set and might make the metal bits look dingy...maybe).
Did 2 coats over a period of a few hours and figured it was fine. Could do more but wanted to use the razor this morning!

@Razor Burn when you open the Tru-Oil just pierce a wee hole in the foil disc.
No need to remove the whole thing. I do my gunstocks with my fingers and whole hand as the body warmth helps open the pores of the wood.
For the R95 I just put a few drops onto an old cloth rag and wiped the handle. Then a clean wipe over the metal bits to keep them free from the oil though (it will set and might make the metal bits look dingy...maybe).
Did 2 coats over a period of a few hours and figured it was fine. Could do more but wanted to use the razor this morning!
Thanks again for the helpful suggestions @Blackie ! (y)

And wood handled shave brushes. I use Tru-Oil on all the wood handles that I make. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.