Hello from Ballarat

G'day mate,
Ditch the stand and put the $ towards a 6c,then start at a low setting and work your way up.
You probably will not need,note the word need,but will want another razor like the 6s.
Some members here may have a 6s or Karve for sale.
Go for Proraso red instead of the green for the moment,then try something like Stirling samples or Squadron soap.
Again some kind souls may have something to PIF to you.
Witch hazel as an aftershave is fine.
I think the Plissoft from Vshod is a perfect brush option

Thanks for the feedback. I'll looking into those options too.

One more thing: look closely at your beard map - you might be one of those lucky souls, where WTG is north to south and ATG is south to north everywhere on your face...but you also might be like me where WTG in places is a hook stroke east to north :(

If you don't know how your beard grows, there is even a less likely chance of getting a good shave...

Thanks for the advice. I didn't even really know about beard mapping until last week even though I've been shaving for 20 years..

Welcome Andrew. I also vote for the Rockwell 6c. I have many razors, including the Muhle R89 and it is a good razor but for a few extra dollars you have much more choice with a variable razor like the 6c. You will have to find the angle for your new razor. A good soap, practice at building a lather and a sample pack of blades should soon see you wondering why you didn't come over to this hobby sooner. BTW, judging from your avatar, you probably need to cut down on your face products. ;)

Welcome @Andrew_N :)

blades are very subjective and you need to get a sample pack and try these for yourself

I think this is very good advice. I bought a sampler pack of blades when i started. For the first month i only used the Astra superior platinum's that many on here recommend to reduce variables while i was learning what to do. Since then i have tried a few different ones from the sample pack. I am glad that i bought the sample pack first up.

Proraso is a solid soap to start with and also easy to lather. Once you have mastered that, you can start to look at even better options, that have more goodness for you skin as ingredients.

Can't go wrong with either of the three Prorazo soaps in my opinion. I have all 3 but prefer the green. But different ppl have different skin style and scent "sensitivities" so your mileage may vary. But Prorazo is still one of my top 3 soaps. I think it's a good choice for a beginner.

Blades: just get a sample...not very important to start with, I would just avoid the extremes at the beginning (Feather/Kai - super sharp, Derby/Muhle - super blunt)

^^ Great advice here - especially the bit about avoiding those extremely sharp blades at the beginning!

Alum: check out your local Indian grocery store...should be cheaper there

Thank you. I did not know that. I learn new stuff on here all the time!

do not waste $ on pre shaves

I tried several "preshaves" Maybe because i was a beginner i couldn't notice any difference with using "preshaves" or with not using them. Maybe that will change in the future - but i think it's good advice not to waste money on this at the beginning.

Further advice.

1. Maybe consider buying a cheap styptic pencil thinggy at the beginning. I know an alum block does similar but the pencil is very handy at the start and i found that i preferred the pencils form factor for stopping cuts at the beginning (altho i only cut myself on the first 2 shaves - and very rarely since then). You can get them for around $5 at places like chemist warehouse, priceline etc.

2. Buy or make (ie small metal mint tin with slot) a cheap blade bank and mark it as such on the outside with a texta or similar. I personally don't think it's cool tossing used blades "naked" into the garbage without any protective wrapping.

It's an awesome hobby. You will have a lot of fun and shaving will become an indulgent joy rather than a chore!

My 2c is get a hot towel setup going. I recently grabbed the Muhle towels from Beard and Blade and my shave is even better. Pretty rare I need an aftershave balm and nicks have disappeared. No irritation at all.

2. Buy or make (ie small metal mint tin with slot) a cheap blade bank and mark it as such on the outside with a texta or similar. I personally don't think it's cool tossing used blades "naked" into the garbage without any protective wrapping.

Good suggestion for you @Andrew_N. I just buy the occasional tin of Eclipse Mints - the tins last me for ages as a blade bank for used blades -

SGP3NRgZNVSGjLl4U-dCDqXs8_j0PLJWKll4uG4VdCZR0uOpn9SE3ubtFhm6_9DMtG23r1f5eL4LCh-EGJrfQtOfsE6KXbBrN1qv6vAdxg=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

My 2c is get a hot towel setup going. I recently grabbed the Muhle towels from Beard and Blade and my shave is even better. Pretty rare I need an aftershave balm and nicks have disappeared. No irritation at all.

OK, curious now, do tell how :)

@Andrew_N I used a money box for my disposable blades and make sure you get a money box that you really cannot open it at all without a can opener, it had to be a full tin can only showing a money hole that all you need, you can get it anywhere from a reject shop from $1 to $5 depending on the size you need. Easy Peasy

This is what you see at the Reject Shop see picture below

flyzm3-AcBrxSAZda99EhUtvi9x6B1q9_ou9FhCKVVWuZ-irg_Rb0c1JhByBohuceRE-dmdAHBQBwlcLx5PZOvuqF-n9esRopolcNjlU8us_AaIdFWsQU3xe9wPrYA8

Welcome Andrew. I also vote for the Rockwell 6c. I have many razors, including the Muhle R89 and it is a good razor but for a few extra dollars you have much more choice with a variable razor like the 6c. You will have to find the angle for your new razor. A good soap, practice at building a lather and a sample pack of blades should soon see you wondering why you didn't come over to this hobby sooner. BTW, judging from your avatar, you probably need to cut down on your face products. ;)

Thanks for the advice Ozwhisker. haha noted about the face products..

Welcome @Andrew_N :)

I think this is very good advice. I bought a sampler pack of blades when i started. For the first month i only used the Astra superior platinum's that many on here recommend to reduce variables while i was learning what to do. Since then i have tried a few different ones from the sample pack. I am glad that i bought the sample pack first up.

Can't go wrong with either of the three Prorazo soaps in my opinion. I have all 3 but prefer the green. But different ppl have different skin style and scent "sensitivities" so your mileage may vary. But Prorazo is still one of my top 3 soaps. I think it's a good choice for a beginner.

^^ Great advice here - especially the bit about avoiding those extremely sharp blades at the beginning!

Thank you. I did not know that. I learn new stuff on here all the time!

I tried several "preshaves" Maybe because i was a beginner i couldn't notice any difference with using "preshaves" or with not using them. Maybe that will change in the future - but i think it's good advice not to waste money on this at the beginning.

Further advice.

1. Maybe consider buying a cheap styptic pencil thinggy at the beginning. I know an alum block does similar but the pencil is very handy at the start and i found that i preferred the pencils form factor for stopping cuts at the beginning (altho i only cut myself on the first 2 shaves - and very rarely since then). You can get them for around $5 at places like chemist warehouse, priceline etc.

It's an awesome hobby. You will have a lot of fun and shaving will become an indulgent joy rather than a chore!

Thanks for the great feedback. I've found so many things around the house that would make a cheap and safe blade bank.

Great advice. I used a warm towel with my current setup yesterday and I could easly tell the difference.

Good suggestion for you @Andrew_N. I just buy the occasional tin of Eclipse Mints - the tins last me for ages as a blade bank for used blades -

SGP3NRgZNVSGjLl4U-dCDqXs8_j0PLJWKll4uG4VdCZR0uOpn9SE3ubtFhm6_9DMtG23r1f5eL4LCh-EGJrfQtOfsE6KXbBrN1qv6vAdxg=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

OK, curious now, do tell how :)
@Andrew_N I used a money box for my disposable blades and make sure you get a money box that you really cannot open it at all without a can opener, it had to be a full tin can only showing a money hole that all you need, you can get it anywhere from a reject shop from $1 to $5 depending on the size you need. Easy Peasy

This is what you see at the Reject Shop see picture below

flyzm3-AcBrxSAZda99EhUtvi9x6B1q9_ou9FhCKVVWuZ-irg_Rb0c1JhByBohuceRE-dmdAHBQBwlcLx5PZOvuqF-n9esRopolcNjlU8us_AaIdFWsQU3xe9wPrYA8

Thanks for the suggestions Mark1966 and SpeedyPC.