Gillette Red tip aggression

My understanding is that it increases in "aggression" from low (Blue) to "normal" (silver/none) to high (Red). So it'd be a larger step up for you from the Blue.

Hi David, may I suggest looking at getting an adjustable such as a Slim. Then you can go from extremely mild to fairly aggressive. You may find that, with time, you prefer a more aggressive shave. It gives you all three of the Super Speeds in one.

Hi David, may I suggest looking at getting an adjustable such as a Slim. Then you can go from extremely mild to fairly aggressive. You may find that, with time, you prefer a more aggressive shave. It gives you all three of the Super Speeds in one.
Just looking at some now j just wondering how much to pay ,.and to go slim or Fatboy, in the adjustable is there a thin head or are both the same thickness

Just looking at some now j just wondering how much to pay ,.and to go slim or Fatboy, in the adjustable is there a thin head or are both the same thickness
There is a difference in the head. Fatboy are a little more chunky. I have both and prefer to shave with the Slim, however, the Fatboy is still a great shave.
As to how much to pay, and where to look, there are many more people on here better placed to answer that. As a rough guide I got both my Gillette adjustables for about US$50 each landed. I think that was a decent price.

I have a Gillette blue tip razor and was wondering how much more aggregation the Gillette red tip is, just want to know if it will be worth buying one

To me the question is are you satisfied with the (mild) shave of the Blue tip? I have all three styles and I find the blue tip to be a good shave but way to mild. The regular S.S. is fine, a little more aggressive but I can still achieve a DFS near BBS. The Red Tip is slightly more aggressive (IMV) than the regular but not overly so. On a scale of 1-10 I rate the Blue a 3.5 the regular a 5 and the red a 6.5. The Red Tip is not overly aggressive but it does give a closer shave. The thing I really like about the Red Tips is the handle. It's one of my favorites as it's very nicely knurled. The Red Tip knob, well is just icing on the cake as it makes the razor a real looker. If you've had successful experience with other razors other than the Blue Tip, I say sure go for it.
b67kSGq3dSembXYk9xrg56Vt-xp1vTS3EMMqXC7uKBjAJcwvN9JucPn0faLRSuG1BSvg7x37z9H6x9d-UpzuZG5R7O4vpx9BpbI1qgf638NeoN-t6oPElL1Lqt-ySD7R8rL2ztppQ4ppkvZey2fwFS5dIero1ElCV4tXm3PkaPMH-OA_yU8cDgfrf6rKdxokB4fP-DN3SPVSJlnmocHKzXdKI9hSygwGlLI-35DgUwceWg587HV9vN6w_G66MnELrviMj4eZ7HzbKqpVNuXEeEurOlTie1QUKU4uKOS_DODVa3oH0ITnZzfOLQRUZyadwO9d6m4tB4I3LJOoScupbBSiziztOM2pplw0B3vcSacKWYfF4Be8okj_Grt8DTXoFKlHFkAbiE7KEXALcbwnFCRBSqAWebgzQjJkAOklgCwK6cmWXRyQ9wGqSMOyZPWXUd41oS4EJytmCfjshoYgHXg9ckLyc1bqNU4xWGZ7BTj9aAsP_M3_ci8UI89muN5IADfVi43f7d-vRHMtnwnz1mayfb4EI-7XCBvsmoPuf5p2tXnLsnAQ9W3NGtiGBS9XI67dpKGGM5v6TTlbHqfIfbt63pKQnA=w940-h705-no

Come on. Look at that baby. You have to get one just for the cool facor.

Last edited:
Yes, the Red Tip DOES have the cool factor @Ptr74 !

@David7307 . You may find this page interesting: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap But I would use it as only a rough guide. For example I have a DE89, a Slim and a USA Red tip. It shows that the DE89 has a larger blade gap than the red tip and one would assume it would be more aggressive, however there is more than just blade gap that make a razor "aggressive".

The guide also shows that a red tip would be similar to a Slim at 4 but in real life I would put the red tip at at least a "5" and slightly more aggressive than my DE89.

It's not always about the aggressiveness of the razor. I couldn't hack Red tips or OC or modern adjustables, that were too aggressive on 2. They didn't give me a better shave than milder razors I did like, and my face suffered more.

A milder razor and a sharp blade, like Feathers or Iridiums can do the job as well, without the extra blade exposure.

If you can't use the sharper blades, or don't find them as comfortable, getting more blade on the skin with a relatively duller blade isn't necessarily an answer either.