Gillette Blades - which is which?

Awww, Nicholas, you are such a fine judge of people. You left out "Savvy" in your list of qualities though.

Let me dig out that voucher code "LaP20OFF" and PM coming your way.

I'd be trying to get them from this listing if possible.

I sent the seller a message asking why he would not send to Australia. He said that last time he sent blades they took a very long time to arrive in Australia.

He did seem amenable to us purchasing from him, on the basis that we knew it may take some time to arrive.

What does the Gillette Silver Blue blade feels like with a EJ DE89 razors, cause I'm too cautious to try this most people choose these blades with their EJ DE89.

Opinions on blades are massively varied. DSDF and all... That being said, most people rate these highly (I'm not a huge fan myself, but need to revisit).

@Korbz would you be able to revisited these blades again a tell me how does it feels, and also I like to know about the Gillette Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock Yellow & 7 O'Clock Green blades IF you have the time.

Cheers.

Gillette Silver Blue's are one of my favourite blades, they work well in all my razors including the EJ89 and is a perfect match for the Merkur 39C Slant.

I've only tried the Gillette Silver Blue and Rubie Platinum. There are many different types (Nacet, 2 types of green, Yellow, Black etc.) which I have not yet tried. What I would say is that I've found blades to be a very personal thing. The Silver Blues receive praise from many, many people and feature on lots of top 5 lists, however I don't find them smooth on my skin.

Thus, I don't put a lot of faith in other people's reviews, with one exception. If a blade is on the majority of people's top lists, I'll probably want to try it ...

Gillette Silver Blue:
I found them to be very smooth myself and tend to settle in more on their second shave, if they are extremely sharp and sharper than feathers then that is completely overshadowed by their smoothness because I got no such problems.
I have used these blades in a Merkur 39C slant, Merkur 34C and in both cases they seemed fine however I feel I enjoyed them more in the slant but that could be due to the slant factor. :D

Gillette Nacet:
These blades have gone down a treat in my Above the Tie R1 razor, they seem to have a great over all balance allowing me to achieve a comfortable multipass shave.

Gillette Rubie Platinum:
Whilst I have 100 of these I have not tried a single one yet but look forward to it as many have been very happy with the shaves achieved with these blades. They seem to be a little trickier to find than most but they are still out there.

Gillette Green (Super Stainles):
As mentioned there are two different makes of these blades, one being made in India and the other being made in Russia. As far as quality goes I can only comment on those being made in Russia. I would personally put them closer to Persona Lab Blue's perhaps a little smoother however they do not have very good blade longevity so anything above 2 shaves is a compromise. Many have noted that the Russian blades are much smoother than the Indian Green's but once again I can't comment on them.

Gillette Yellow (SharpEdge):
I have used these a few times and have 100 of these (not unusual for me as I rarely buy less than 100 regardless) however I will have to give them more or a try to give them the benefit of the doubt. I find them to be very sharp and slightly rough, I wouldn't say they are particularly comfortable shaver for me but they are okay. one thing I will note to me personally is that much like the greens they have average longevity all be it a little better than the greens but once again a decline in quality is noticable.

As others have said blades are largely subjective due to many variables such as razor, personal skill, angles, skin type, hair type, growth, etc.
I do own an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor but have not used it in some time so I can't really tell you how well these blades perform in this razor. The DE89 is a relatively tolerant razor so I feel there is a good chance that the above blades will be fine.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree with you @rhodes96
I was always hoping for this thread to be updated and really enjoyed the format @Monsta_AU put forward. Very detailed!
I guess it's up to us to follow the example that has been put forward and add to this thread.
We haven't even covered a fraction of the available Gillette blades on the market today, let alone the non Gillette blades.

Gillette is a tricky one because they license so many blades but it is endlessly fascinating. I feel like a hugely important part of this is to track down the blades origins and manufacturing facility because it allows us to relate to the blades and identify and have an expectation of the quality for them.