Gillette Aristocrat & Valet Autostrop

Max

Hello forum Members,

I currently own a Merkur 34C and I wanted to get into the more interesting side of wet shaving and get a couple of vintage razor to have the full experience. I came accross these two:

* Gilette Aristocrat
* Valet Autostrop
Are they any good? Would you recommend them? How much are they worth?

Gilette.jpg

valet.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/820mzbozdioyvtq/valet.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0iouzwo0bcsaos0/Gilette.jpg?dl=0

@Anthony has a few Autostrops and I think it was @Sxot that recently got one to use

@Mark1966 is Mr Gillette and will steer you on the right path. [emoji6]

If you can get that exact Aristocrat in the picture with the cardboard shipper - depending on the condition that is worth IMO 250-300US$ - so even if you don't like the shave, you can easily sell it.

The Autostrop is a very special razor and probably not something you are going to like (you have to strop the blade yourself, it doesn't take modern DE blades)

I thought you took this picture and I just wanted to tell you to buy it...it looks to be in great condition and is like this a collectors piece.

If you are just looking for one to shave, they come cheaper - but not so pretty (no case, shipper and some plate loss)

There are not fake Aristocrats out there (or any razor for that matter) as far as I know...

The first one looks like a Red Tip & the second looks ok but can I ask @Max how much they are asking for the Aristocrat and are you seriously looking to buy as I might be able to help out with that one

The first one looks like a Red Tip
Haha! I didn't even check the photo but went off the name of the link.
It's definitely a Red Tip in an Auto strop box. A decent shaver.

Excellent price. The Red Tip alone should've gone for more. It looks to be a red tip rocket instead of the more common red tip superspeed. Great shaver as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did I miss this thread!

Great score @Max

The first one is clearly a British Red Tip Rocket in a Valet case -

The second a British Aristocrat #15 Australian Set -

This is not the usual open comb #15 but the razor found in the UK #21 sets but advertised in Australia as a #15 set in this configuration (although some people argue that it is simply the advert was wrong in the razor it showed)

Both are great shavers and very collectible and look in pretty good condition (the #15 having the very common 'flea bites' to the plating. Either would probably sell for more than you paid for both.

There are not usually fakes in the market BUT very commonly mismatched 'sets' and incorrectly described razors. In the very early days there were a lot of 'clones' of the Gillette Double and Single Rings manufactured. They are not 'fakes' per se but contemporary competing products.

Well done!