Get your blades sharper than Feathers....???

Nick the Knife

Krill Enabler
Grand Society
Gents,

Just browsing Fleabay and spotted on of these, a Safety Razor Blade sharpener - I'd never seen one before and whilst I admire the design (seems you place the blade inside and pull the string which causes the blade to move back and forth across the honing teeth/plates) I can't say I think they'd be much good.

Oddly there's a lot of them coming out of Bulgaria - perhaps the old USSR didn't like you using a new blade if the old one could be honed for another few shaves.

Anyway, just thought I'd share as is a curious little oddity.

Nevr seen that one before. Have seen the hollowed out stones made of some minor radioactive material. I think Mark (who else of course) has got one.

You're thinking of uranium glass @Pjotr

Probably an antique curiosity and nothing more. Back when they used to make DE blades thicker and from carbon steel, then this thing might have had a use. For modern SS blades costing 20c? Zero.

$A87!!!!!!

That is a lot of blades ....

….but all my DE blades say - "Do Not Wipe Blade", which I thought that had something to do with the edge coating….which this contraption would hone clean off I assume.

….but all my DE blades say - "Do Not Wipe Blade", which I thought that had something to do with the edge coating….which this contraption would hone clean off I assume.

Exactly. If you try and hone modern blade, you will remove any coatings they've put on, which usually keep them smooth and rust free.

I have a few of the "old" glass and mechanical sharpeners just as curiosities.
But... At the prices that you can but new blades for, why waste the time or money??

Just to clarify I certainly DID NOT seriously mean or imply that this device would have any benefit or usefulness for modern day users. Purely posted it as a curio only.

Even the folks who strop or dip their blades in alcohol are a tad odd given blades prices - so I'd be amazed if anyone seriously thought this device would ever pay itself off through getting another few shaves out (if it were even capable of this).