Geo F Trumper Soap

no47

I am a huge fan of GFT's Skin food and use it religiously post shave. On my last resupply I thought I would grab a puck of matching soap to go with it.

Spent 20-30 mins with the soap this morning and in the end pulled out a tub of TOBS and used that instead.

Is there a trick to getting a decent lather from GFT soap? With it being triple milled I expected it may be a challenge, and behave similar to MWF.
I had three separate attempts (two bowl lathers and a face lather) and each time ended up with the same very light/fluffy lather that was beyond useless (same as I used to get with MWF before I learnt how to get the best from it).
I tried lots of water, very little water.....all with same result. The puck was soaked in warm/hot water whilst having a pre-shave shower, and I used a boar brush with decent backbone (semogue 1305).

I will persevere with it, Im sure there will be a day when it 'works'. If anyone has any suggestions or has been through similar with GFT soaps, feel free to share.

Cheers

As my father would undoubtedly say - "you mustn't be holding your mouth right".

When you get the lather going and work out what the heck that means can you let me know too BTW?

Unfortunately GFT reformulated a few years back and totally ruined their soap!

Use it up in the shower and enjoy the scent.

If you can pick-up pre-2013 GFT soap, grab it without thinking. Amazing soap!!

Unfortunately GFT reformulated a few years back and totally ruined their soap!

Use it up in the shower and enjoy the scent.

If you can pick-up pre-2013 GFT soap, grab it without thinking. Amazing soap!!

I believe most of the British soaps went Vegan (no tallow), hence the drop off in quality? MWF and DR Harris are the exceptions, fantastic soaps

I believe most of the British soaps went Vegan (no tallow), hence the drop off in quality? MWF and DR Harris are the exceptions, fantastic soaps

Back in 2009ish, GFT went veggie but it was a wonderful soap! I had the rose, violet and one other I can't remember...may have been lime.
That was a killer veggie formula.

In 2012ish, they reformulated to the rubbish that is currently available.

MWF, DRHarris, TOBS, Cyril R Salter (new tallow formula) are great English hard soaps worth having in any shave den.

Oh, there's also Bath House. Great lather, triple milled and both their scents are really great. A couple of my favorites in fact!

There's also a Scottish company, Arran. They also have two triple milled shave soaps and scents that are really nice, very refined. They work better with a synthetic I have found.

Bath House and Arran are both veggie BTW.

no47, I have used GFT for years and noticed the scent change over time. But getting back to your issue, I can get a fantastic lather off my soap but only when using a synthetic brush. I face lather, and using a soft badger brush leads to a crummy sloppy lather. Using a Jack the Barber brush (from Woollies) does the trick every time. A couple of laps on a soaked soap leads to heaps of suds that don't disappear in seconds.

I think it's the backbone and tips of the nylon bristles that really digs into the soap and scours it into action. I'm not sure of the mechanism but my synthetic completly changed my view of the soap.

no47, I have used GFT for years and noticed the scent change over time. But getting back to your issue, I can get a fantastic lather off my soap but only when using a synthetic brush. I face lather, and using a soft badger brush leads to a crummy sloppy lather. Using a Jack the Barber brush (from Woollies) does the trick every time. A couple of laps on a soaked soap leads to heaps of suds that don't disappear in seconds.

I think it's the backbone and tips of the nylon bristles that really digs into the soap and scours it into action. I'm not sure of the mechanism but my synthetic completly changed my view of the soap.

Have a read of this.

https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/geo-f-trumper-limes-lathering-problems.4550/